Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 09:06 PM

650 posts, read 868,071 times

Advertisements

No. Ohio is the Midwest. Some towns are southern but they still in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:18 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
With Charleston's industrial history, architecture, culture, political views, and its accent, it is very Midwestern!

Not only is Charleston like this, but Huntington, Parkersburg, Wheeling, and Weirton, WV aswell!
I think Charleston is more Southern than Midwestern and I live in this area though I moved from Baltimore, and previously lived in New Orleans. The accents are different than Louisiana or South Carolina but its more Southern than Midwestern. I'd say Morgantown and Clarksburg have more of a Northeast feel (the western Pennsylvania kind of Northeast, not the New Jersey/NY/Boston kind). I think Point Pleasant and Parkersburg are more Midwestern parts of WV.

Many people I met from southern Ohio (the area across from Huntington and Ashland) sound more like people from southern WV and eastern Kentucky than people I know from Columbus and Akron. However I don't think southern Ohio is exactly southern just that its been influenced by the border. Southern Ohio to me is Southern in the way that Laredo and El Paso are Mexican. You do see rebel flags in southern Ohio though not nearly as common as in my part of WV. In fact my local high school, Sissonville HS had a local controversy when the school tried to ban them and students protested by bringing dozens of flags to the Homecoming game last year.

The most far north I've seen a rebel flag was in suburban Columbus, either Hebron or Newark but even Columbus as seen transplants from WV and southern Ohio move there in large numbers.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
On a side note, I'm sure people in southernmost Ohio feel kind of alienated from the rest of the state which is 100% Midwestern. When I think Ohio I think the large cities like Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati with rolling farmland in between and small Midwestern towns. Above all Ohio has a flat reputation (many people with Ohio plates here in WV drive very slowly in the more mountainous areas cause they're not used to it and nervous) but southern Ohio is hilly and is coal country just like all of WV and eastern KY.

Southern Ohio is part of the Charleston-Huntington TV market and the local news is very focused on West Virginia, you never hear them cover anything about Ohio politics like the budget, tax increases, etc. The only time the Ohio part is mentioned is if there is a crime or disaster there.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:32 PM

63 posts, read 75,318 times
Ohio haha. That's the midwest..

Old 09-05-2016, 03:31 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,637 times
Southern Ohio is Semi-Southern like West Virginia and Maryland.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:13 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
It's a northern state on the border of the south. It has as much influence from the south as the south has from it (compare Huntington WV to Meridian Mississippi and I promise you Huntington will seem less southern; likewise Huntington will seem less northern when compared to Buffalo, NY). This occurs at all junctions.

Furthermore Ohio is part of north-central and northern Appalachia as well. Which in all included states is typically a unique area from the rest of the state.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:09 AM

650 posts, read 868,071 times
No. Any part of Ohio is the Midwest.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:33 AM

450 posts, read 1,203,200 times
Cincinnati people are southern...sorry been here for about 15 years..majority of the people are from Kentucky....the TWANG is real here.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:39 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
I honestly think that southern Ohio is less southern influenced than Southern Illinois or Indiana. Southeast Ohio is very Appalachian, but many people claim central Appalachia isn't classically southern. Southwest Ohio is more transitional, but not fully southern, as even the parts of Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati aren't fully southern in culture.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:47 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
Sweet Tea is a must and we do say y'all. Not sure, what about parts you were visiting but doesn't sound like Marietta too me.

We have some names for those from Northen Ohio as either Northernites or Flatlanders.
The Bob Evans chain of restaurants originated in southern Ohio in Gallipolis.

Its menu still offers grits and mush, not mainstay offerings in most of Ohio, although mush was popular on Ohio farms in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio