Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 09:16 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times

Advertisements

I have a question for you Okie people. Dad was a big Country fan and he was born in Enid. Before he moved to the oil fields of SE New Mexico he saw quite a bit of C&W performers, a few Oklahoma artists as well (Wanda Jackson, Jeanie Shepard among others). His favorite artist was Gene Autry. According to his web site, he was born in Tioga, Texas, but was raised in Oklahoma. The site does not say which town. About 10 miles northeast of Ardmore there is a small town called Gene Autry. It's been a few years since I"ve been through southern Oklahoma. Any connection here?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Here's a quick SUNDAY wake up drink and only you will know how well it tastes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

An old man placed an order for one hamburger, French fries and a drink.

He unwrapped the plain hamburger and carefully cut it in half, placing one half in front of his wife.

He then carefully counted out the French fries, dividing them into two piles and neatly placed one pile in front of his wife.

He took a sip of the drink, his wife took a sip and then set the cup down between them . As he began to eat his few bites of hamburger, the people around them were looking over and whispering.

Obviously they were thinking, 'That poor old couple - all they can afford is one meal for the two of them.

As the man began to eat his fries, a young man came to the table and politely offered to buy another meal for the old couple. The old man said they were just fine - they were used to sharing everything.

People closer to the table noticed the little old lady hadn't eaten a bite. She sat there watching her husband eat and occasionally took turns sipping the drink.

Again, the young man came over and begged them to let him buy another meal for them. This time the old woman said, 'No, thank you, we are used to sharing everything.'

Finally, as the old man finished and was wiping his face neatly with the napkin, the young man again came over to the little old lady who had yet to eat a single bite of food and asked, 'What is it you are waiting for?'

She answered,

"MY TEETH."

Old 02-10-2008, 02:21 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I have a question for you Okie people. Dad was a big Country fan and he was born in Enid. Before he moved to the oil fields of SE New Mexico he saw quite a bit of C&W performers, a few Oklahoma artists as well (Wanda Jackson, Jeanie Shepard among others). His favorite artist was Gene Autry. According to his web site, he was born in Tioga, Texas, but was raised in Oklahoma. The site does not say which town. About 10 miles northeast of Ardmore there is a small town called Gene Autry. It's been a few years since I"ve been through southern Oklahoma. Any connection here?
Research on Gene Autry via the Internet says that he was raised in Ravia, Oklahoma which is about 4 miles West of Tishomingo, whereas Gene Autry, Oklahoma is about 10 miles Northeast of Ardmore. From Gene Autry to Ravia is about 30 miles.

Other articles say that he was raised in both Achille, Ok and Ravia, Ok. The town Gene Autry was named so in honor of Gene Autry, and he broadcast the ceremony (with 35k people in attendance) on his radio show of the time.

It also says that Gene Autry is the only star to have all five stars on the Hollywood walk of fame.

Last edited by Synopsis; 02-10-2008 at 04:39 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Reba McEntire is from McAlester OK.

Ron Howard is from Duncan, OK.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:57 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
MK, do you make house calls? I was mowing my lawn earlier with my not even 1 year old John Deer power assisted mower (with a bagger attached) and about 10 minutes into mowing my power-assisted mower no longer power assisted. Those things are heavy, especially with the bag and all. I completed the job but was worn out. I guess I'll take it to the dealer where I bought it and make 'em fix it or I'll look at it myself. I think a cable broke.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:11 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
MK, do you make house calls? I was mowing my lawn earlier with my not even 1 year old John Deer power assisted mower (with a bagger attached) and about 10 minutes into mowing my power-assisted mower no longer power assisted. Those things are heavy, especially with the bag and all. I completed the job but was worn out. I guess I'll take it to the dealer where I bought it and make 'em fix it or I'll look at it myself. I think a cable broke.
It must be nice to mow your lawn in February , I have snow chains and a snow plow on my John Deere. And if the snow keeps it up like it has all day, I'll be using it in the morning for sure. LOL

Just pulling "your chain" Synopsis.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
MK, do you make house calls? I was mowing my lawn earlier with my not even 1 year old John Deer power assisted mower (with a bagger attached) and about 10 minutes into mowing my power-assisted mower no
Quote:
longer power assisted.
Those things are heavy, especially with the bag and all. I completed the job but was worn out. I guess I'll take it to the dealer where I bought it and make 'em fix it or I'll look at it myself. I think a cable broke.
Do you mean "Self propelled"? Without knowing what model it is, I don't know what type of self propelled system it has.
If you want you can DM me the Model and serial#'s and I can look it.

House calls, depends on distance.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
It must be nice to mow your lawn in February , I have snow chains and a snow plow on my John Deere. And if the snow keeps it up like it has all day, I'll be using it in the morning for sure. LOL

Just pulling "your chain" Synopsis.
You have to use snow chains to mow your yard?

Old 02-10-2008, 04:22 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
You have to use snow chains to mow your yard?
No, but it sure helps to get rid of the snow.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:25 PM

Synopsis.
Does it look like this John Deere?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...3&d=1202685651
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Oklahoma Forum Chattin' Thread-red-neck-lawn-tractor.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma