Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bonner View Post
Hmmmm...actually the evenings cool down nicely in south OC this time of year. The days have been warm, nut unless you are NW of the fires, the air has been crystal clear.

I run the Ridge Trail in Aliso-Woods Canyon to Top of the World in Laguna Beach each morning. For the past three days, the air has been lovely and warm at 5:30....the sunrises over the Santa Ana Mountains have produced a rich golden brilliant sun, and until the fires started along the 91, it was possible to see all the way up the coast past Humtington Beach, and Cataline and San Clemente Islands were clearly visible.

In spite of the fires, and unlike last year, we have had perfect air...no smoke, no ash, and no smell.

This sure beats the hell out of the 55 Novembers I spent in Maine.
There's a range of relatively low mountains [2000'] that surround the LA Basin [Malibu\ Santa Monica\ Hollywood Hills\ San Rafael Hills\ Mt Washington\ El Sereno\ Montebello, etc]. Something about the east\west transverse direction of the San Gabriel Mts directs the 'santa ana' winds. If you do not notice wind at night then your minimum temp is much cooler than the wind-prone areas. Anybody who lives in 'santa ana' corridors knows how warm the nights are. Its actually quite comfortable with all the windows open & a dry & warm wind blowing thru the house. I just am tired of it now & would like cooler weather, please

The visibility is fantastic during off shore wind events & Santa Catalina Is. can be seen at the end of my block. Also Mt San Antonio & Mt San Gorgonio [75 miles away].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 AM

58 posts, read 161,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I just am tired of it now & would like cooler weather, please

[75 miles away].
Want cooler weather..move to Michigan

Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,492 times
SoCal native here... Yes, I get tired of it from time to time. Like now, mid-Nov. in the 90's is a bit too much.

Don't know if I could handle 4 months of snow, though. Would be nice to find somewhere with 2-3 months of each season.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:58 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
SoCal native here... Yes, I get tired of it from time to time. Like now, mid-Nov. in the 90's is a bit too much.

Don't know if I could handle 4 months of snow, though. Would be nice to find somewhere with 2-3 months of each season.

Im from So Cal and I moved to CO 2 years ago and you adjust.

Im in the Denver area and weve only had one day of snow so far. Its only about 2-3 months at most of snow. I like the change of seasons (and change of wardrobe).

I post a pic of my min pin dog in the snow. Hes short haired but loves the snow.
Attached Thumbnails
Can't take it anymore!-dscn0922.jpg  

Old 11-20-2008, 11:50 PM

457 posts, read 978,890 times
Default Lost the love for The OC

I was born and raised in a Chicago Suburb. The Wonder Years type
neighborhood. At 28, I moved to The OC and joined the social scene.
Loved everything orange county had to offer. I've been here 20 years and learned a lot and matured a lot. Here is my conclusion after 20 years:

- unless your still in your twenties, night life sucks.
- Breast implants for a girl's HS graduation.
- Newport women who have cloned themselves. Say stepford wives
- older women competing with twenty something girls in the dating scene.
- Traffic sucks. 45 min on the 57 from Brea to the crush
- Housing costs out rages. Brea 500 sq' junior apt for $1,100
- Everybody is in a freakin rush to get some place. Then they turn around and start all over.
- The weather is like ground hog day
- I have a few friends, but strangers in public are so rude.
- Most of south county residents are materialistic.

There are a few exceptions to the above, but it takes a long time to find those genuine people. I plan on returning to the midwest. Things are more laid back, strangers are more friendlier and it's not all about what you drive. Yes, it gets cold, but who wants to go out when it's 95 to 110 degrees.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 AM

86 posts, read 244,058 times
finally, some normal weather in November!

but obviously the heat and wind and fires last weekend were unbearable if you were anywhere within 5 miles of any of the smoke. our apt is just outside of that, but we drove into it on Saturday during the fires and were in an ash and smoke shower.

I was definitely coughing up a storm on after being outside on Sunday for half a day (not by choice) indirectly breathing bad air and exercising vigorously indoors on Sunday eve. later I found out, you weren't even supposed to do that! indoors!!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM

Its great that the fires are all out even though it has been a little windy. It will start getting much cooler next week & there is a real possibility of rain around Thanksgiving

Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,192,020 times
I was reminded again this morning while driving someone to LAX how much I want OUT of this awful place! It was depressing!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
I was reminded again this morning while driving someone to LAX how much I want OUT of this awful place! It was depressing!
It was a depressing 86F today

Old 11-21-2008, 09:22 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tew View Post
Im from So Cal and I moved to CO 2 years ago and you adjust.

Im in the Denver area and weve only had one day of snow so far. Its only about 2-3 months at most of snow. I like the change of seasons (and change of wardrobe).

I post a pic of my min pin dog in the snow. Hes short haired but loves the snow.
Your Mini Pin is adorable! He looks just like mine, except my dog hates snow. He was so happy when we spent time in L.A. I don't think he wanted to go back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County