Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:12 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,364 times

Advertisements

Hello! Happy Friday! Glad to know you had a good time.

Today's Question(s):

Do any of our QOTD family avoid doing anything in particular on a Friday the 13th ?

no

Have you ever had any "que the Twilight Zone music" weird,strange or funny things happen on a Friday the 13th ?
I am sure things have happened but I don't remember them.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever tried or gotten into a car that looks like yours, but wasn't ? uh, um, well, ah..... yeah

lol where there ever any other people in said car ? No, thankfully!

If you park next to the same type of car especially if it is the same model & color and the other driver was there would you say "hey look we have the same car" or something along that line ? Maybe something like - "nice car".

Inquiring Minds Question:
In honor of eyeglass day

Do you wear glasses or contacts ? Woo Hoo! Still no. Had lasik surgery a few years ago and (knock on wood) still don't need anything. I do have a pair of 1x "cheaters" at home and at work for when things are really small tho.

Extra Credit Question:

If you see something expensive, have you or a family member ever used any of the below phrases

That's Dear ?
That's Pricey ? with the lead in of "kinda.."
They sure are proud of that ?
Holy Crap are they nuts ? Sometimes this comes out as laughter rather than words.
Do they think money grows on trees ?

I have been known to say, "I like that, (look at price) but not THAT much!"

Just for Fun:

Are any of our QOTD family left handed ? no

Is anyone in your immediate family left handed ? no

Last time you took a Taxi ? years and years and years ago (think our son was still in a stroller and he is 25!)

Today is:
National Filet Mignon Day OOPS! DH is currently grilling ribeye steaks. Oh, well, it will have to do! lol
Trail Mix Day some of this is good, some of it is not so good
International Left Handers Day work with a couple of left handers
Taxicab Day they would rust in place if waiting for me to call!
Eyeglasses Day Hopefully, I won't need them again any time soon! I just don't want them to be required when I am driving!

Have a good weekend everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:40 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Today's Question(s):

Do any of our QOTD family avoid doing anything in particular on a Friday the 13th?

Nope, I'm not superstitious.

Have you ever had any "cue the Twilight Zone music" weird,strange or funny things happen on a Friday the 13th?

I have had something bad happen on the 13th of a month, but it was a Tuesday, not a Friday. On Tuesday, May 13, 1980, a tornado tore through downtown Kalamazoo, Michigan and demolished much of the city's center, including the apartment that my then-fiance and I were renting, six weeks before our wedding. He was in the apartment when it happened, and survived by taking shelter in the cast-iron claw-foot bathtub.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever tried or gotten into a car that looks like yours, but wasn't?

No, can't say that I ever have. But I'm betting there's a funny story behind this question!

lol where there ever any other people in said car?

N/A

If you park next to the same type of car especially if it is the same model & color and the other driver was there would you say "hey look we have the same car" or something along that line?

I've been known to say, "hey, you have excellent taste in automobiles" when that happens.

In honor of eyeglass day

Do you wear glasses or contacts?

Yup, I've worn glasses since I was 7 years old. I can still remember coming home from the optometrist with my mom and being so excited at seeing branches on the trees.

Are they for:
Faraway?
Close up?
Both?

Right now, they're for both, although for really small things, I see best of all up close to my face without my glasses. My optometrist tells me that's a common thing when extremely nearsighted people start to lose the up-close vision; the nearsightedness somehow compensates for the loss of flexibility in focusing up close.

For those that need both do you have
No-line or progressive lenses?
I've had these for the past 15 years.
Lined lenses?

How many have prescription sunglasses?

I have in the past, but at this point I have the kind that are designed specifically to clip on my regular glasses. I don't really like them, though; looking through two layers of plastic means that there are four surfaces to reflect light, and I think I do more squinting when I'm wearing those clip-on things than I do without them.

Extra Credit Question:

If you see something expensive, have you or a family member ever used any of the below phrases

That's Dear?
That's Pricey?
They sure are proud of that?
Holy Crap are they nuts?
Do they think money grows on trees?

I don't think I've ever made any of those comments; I'm much more likely to say "that's clearly intended for someone who has more dollars than sense."

Just for Fun:

Are any of our QOTD family left handed?

Not I.

Is anyone in your immediate family left handed?

Nope.

Last time you took a Taxi?

Ooo, goodness, that must have been when we went to NYC for our foster daughter's wedding, just about exactly three years ago. And boy, was it ever a ride!

We traveled with our son to New York for that trip (our daughter took a later flight, as she had class that day) and as we picked up our suitcases at the luggage carousel there at La Guardia, we warned him about what to expect from his first New York City cab ride. Our son, then in his early 20s, had just recently returned from a concert tour in France and Germany with the top-ranked choir at his university, and as a cosmopolitan, urbane world traveler, he brushed off our warnings, pooh-poohing the notion that a mere New York City cab driver could be any worse than a Parisian cabbie.

As we jostled our way to the cab stand, my spouse and I exchanged knowing glances, having a pretty fair idea of what kind of experience awaited us all. And the cab ride that followed lived up (or down) to all of our expectations.

When we got in the cab, we made sure to put Mr. World Traveler right in the middle of the back seat, so that he'd have a perfect view of everything. We sat on each side of him, holding the grab-rails in a death-grip, while he sat there perfectly relaxed, very much lord of all he surveyed.

The cabbie threw the luggage in the trunk, hopped into the driver's seat, and immediately pulled out a pill bottle, tossing back a handful of unidentifiable tablets as he ground the gears and pulled away from the curb at 40 MPH - straight into the path of an oncoming bus. Brakes squealed, horns blared, curses were hurled in a variety of languages, and as I stole a glance at Mr. World Traveler, I noticed that his easy smile was looking a trifle strained.

After a bit more cursing and arm-waving, the cabbie gunned the motor and roared off down the road. I spied a stop sign up ahead, and took a firmer grip on the grab-rail, fully expecting to be thrown into the back of the front seat when he hit the brakes. Only he didn't hit the brakes - he sailed straight on through the stop sign, just barely missing an SUV that slammed on its brakes to avoid T-boning the cab. Took another glance at the boy, and while the smile was still on his lips, the eyes were warily flicking from side to side, watching for the next threat.

Well, we got out onto the Brooklyn Bridge, which (as always) was under construction. The lanes were narrowed to the point that there was barely room enough for a conventional sedan, and so of course that was the point at which our cabbie, still popping pills, decided to play chicken with a Hummer. The Hummer bore in, horn blaring, and our cabbie pushed right back, screaming curses in Korean and waving the one-finger salute as the cab bounced off the rail at the edge of the bridge. I glanced over to see how Mr. World Traveler was enjoying the show, and that easy, urbane smile had become a rictus grin; he was clearly convinced that he was about to die.

Of course we all survived. We reached our hotel in Soho in record time, all intact save for Mr. World Traveler's pride. And as the cab drove off after decanting us on the curb, Mr. World Traveler took a deep breath and said, "So, when we have to go back to La Guardia to go home, can we take the subway?"

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-13-2010 at 07:06 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 06:47 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,390,903 times
I'm not superstitious, Friday the 13th is just another day.
Once I started to try to get into a car similar to mine, the owner laughed and said she wanted to trade, mine was a newer car.
I am either always wearing contacts or glasses, I'm very very near sighted.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,628 times
Hey all. Anyone else get kicked off CD this morning? I woulda posted then but fell asleep lol. Just woke up like an hour ago. -_-

Today's Question(s):

Do any of our QOTD family avoid doing anything in particular on a Friday the 13th ?
I didn't even know that was today, I guess it's a good thing I slept almost the entire day then lol. I don't know if I avoid anything, but maybe I'm more "aware", I don't buy into it much, but I don't tempt fate lol.

Have you ever had any "que the Twilight Zone music" weird,strange or funny things happen on a Friday the 13th ?
Nothing that pops out at me. I have tons of bad luck, nothing specific to Friday the 13th I remember though.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever tried or gotten into a car that looks like yours, but wasn't ?
Lol no, but how embarrassing would that be? I'd get out of there so fast.
lol where there ever any other people in said car ?
I've done alotta embarrassing things, some kinda similar to this, but at least not specifically this lol.
If you park next to the same type of car especially if it is the same model & color and the other driver was there would you say "hey look we have the same car" or something along that line ?
Nah, I'm more surprised to see people from my state where I park, so I park near similar plates lol. I'd never say anything though I think, I'm too shy to blurt out something like that to someone I don't know.

In honor of eyeglass day

Do you wear glasses or contacts ?
Glasses for school and driving.
Are they for:
Faraway ? Yup.
Close up ?
Both ?

No-line or progressive lenses ?
Lined lenses ?

How many have prescription sunglasses ?
Nope, I can't imagine I'd wear em much.

Extra Credit Question:

That's Dear ? No, never heard that one.
That's Pricey ? Yup.
They sure are proud of that ? Yes.
Holy Crap are they nuts ? Yes lol.
Do they think money grows on trees ? And yes.

Just for Fun:

Are any of our QOTD family left handed ?
I am. I'm also ambidextrous, but I always thought I was left handed before I found that out, and I consider myself left handed still cause it's my favorite lol.
Is anyone in your immediate family left handed ?
Only my dad.

Last time you took a Taxi ?
A month or two ago.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,182,589 times
Happy Friday the 13th

Today's Question(s):

Do any of our QOTD family avoid doing anything in particular on a Friday the 13th ? nope just took the day in and dealt with what happened

Have you ever had any "que the Twilight Zone music" weird,strange or funny things happen on a Friday the 13th ? no

Bonus Question:

Have you ever tried or gotten into a car that looks like yours, but wasn't ? I did this once and ttried to unlock the darn thing then finally realized....hey this sin't mine...then looked around to see if anyone was watching...

If you park next to the same type of car especially if it is the same model & color and the other driver was there would you say "hey look we have the same car" or something along that line ? nope

In honor of eyeglass day

Do you wear glasses or contacts ? glasses

Are they for:
Faraway ?
Close up ?
Both ? this right here

No-line or progressive lenses ? no lines here....
Lined lenses ?

How many have prescription sunglasses ? I lost these and have been sad ever since....

Extra Credit Question:

That's Dear ?
That's Pricey ?
Holy Crap are they nuts ?
Do they think money grows on trees ? Heard that.....

Just for Fun:

Are any of our QOTD family left handed ? no

Is anyone in your immediate family left handed ? no

Last time you took a Taxi ? can't remember sorry....

Today in History:
1287 - Eyeglasses debuted
1889 - William Gray patents coin-operated telephone
1907 - First Taxicab used
1919 - Man o'War's only defeat (the upset was by a horse named Upset)
1934 - Cartoonist Al Capp began his famous comic strip, "Li’l Abner"
1981 - Last broadcast of "Waltons" on CBS-TV
1993 - U.S. Court of Appeals rules congress must save all E-Mails

Word of the Day:
subterfuge [suhb-ter-fyooj] noun
1. an artifice or expedient used to evade a rule, escape a consequence, hide something, etc.

Today is:
National Filet Mignon Day
Trail Mix Day
International Left Handers Day
Taxicab Day
Eyeglasses Day[/quote]

Hope everyone here had a great day and just ignored that Friday the 13th deal or hoax....

Old 08-13-2010, 08:23 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Happy Friday!!! A little late to the party again tonight, but at least I got here!

Today's Question(s):

Do any of our QOTD family avoid doing anything in particular on a Friday the 13th ? It's jsut another day...

Nope

Bonus Question:

No. But when I was a newlywed, somebody visiting a neighbor's townhouse inadvertantly walked into our place, grabbed a beer from the fridge and then realized he was in the wrong house! My DW was like this:

If you park next to the same type of car especially if it is the same model & color and the other driver was there would you say "hey look we have the same car" or something along that line ?
I'd probably say "nice ride!"

In honor of eyeglass day

I have a pair for reading at home and the office. Dr says I don't need them, but he wants to help protect me from the computer monitor.

Are they for:
Faraway ?
Close up ?
Both ?

Lined lenses ?

Not me

Extra Credit Question:

That's Dear ?
That's Pricey ?
Holy Crap are they nuts ? (Along with more descriptive adjectives interjected!)

Just for Fun:

Not me!

My DD

In Cozumel last Fall.

Today is:
National Filet Mignon Day Oh yeah!!!!
Trail Mix Day Not on Filet Mignon Day. Not uh!!!
International Left Handers Day (Notice he gives thumbs up with the left hand!)
Taxicab Day I need the Cash Cab to pick me up!
Eyeglasses Day I'm finally in the eyeglass club. Eyesite does fade with age!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:18 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,265 times
[quote=KwaK;15456051]
Do any of our QOTD family avoid doing anything in particular on a Friday the 13th ? Nope, it's just another day! Today was my son's bday, in fact.

Have you ever had any "que the Twilight Zone music" weird,strange or funny things happen on a Friday the 13th ? nope!

Bonus Question:

Have you ever tried or gotten into a car that looks like yours, but wasn't ? Twice! The first was over 20 years ago when leaving the junior prom with my date. He had rented a silver Cougar for the event and we walked up to it and he put the key in the passenger door--the interior light came on but the door wouldn't unlock. It took us a minute to realize that we had the wrong car! No one was in it though.
Sometime last year I went grocery shopping--when coming back out with my cart, I kept pushing the button on my remote to unlock the trunk and it wouldn't...I actually pushed the cart all the way to the trunk and kept pushing the remote button until I noticed that the license plate wasn't mine...oops! I figured my remote battery was dead. Just another silver Impala but no firefighter plates, and luckily no one in it!

If you park next to the same type of car especially if it is the same model & color and the other driver was there would you say "hey look we have the same car" or something along that line ? I met someone at McDonalds for a Craigslist sale, already knowing we had the same car from when we had emailed each other, but the passenger made a comment about what good taste we had in cars, lol!

In honor of eyeglass day

Do you wear glasses or contacts ? Nope!

Extra Credit Question:

That's Dear ? no
That's Pricey ?yes
They sure are proud of that ? no
Holy Crap are they nuts ? a version of this, yes!
Do they think money grows on trees ? yes

Just for Fun:

Are any of our QOTD family left handed ? Yes!

Is anyone in your immediate family left handed ? Nope, only me, boo hoo

Last time you took a Taxi ? hmmm...must be in Toronto in 1993...from our hotel to the Pantages theatre. We would have walked the few blocks but it was snowing hard.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:39 PM

542 posts, read 588,461 times
Today's Question(s):

Do any of our QOTD family avoid doing anything in particular on a Friday the 13th ? Not me

Have you ever had any "que the Twilight Zone music" weird,strange or funny things happen on a Friday the 13th ? Not that I can remember

In honor of eyeglass day

Do you wear glasses or contacts ? glasses

Are they for:
Faraway ?
Close up ?
Both ?

not really sure

How many have prescription sunglasses ? I do

Just for Fun:

Are any of our QOTD family left handed ? not me

Is anyone in your immediate family left handed ? not really sure (I've never bothered to notice)

Last time you took a Taxi ? 1995

Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 PM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Just another work day here.
Contacts here but discovered not long ago I need reading glasses too. Dang Im getting old!
Yes Im left handed and last time I took a cab was probably 3 or 4 years back, from a bar to home. Better than driving after a few drinks!

Old 08-14-2010, 06:11 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Today's Question(s):

I avoided answering the QOTD.

actually I did answer. I have a new laptop and must have hit something that deleted it. I thought I posted it.

YouTube - Twilight Zone intro.

Bonus Question:

No I always lock/unlock with the remote. That does 2 things, can't lock keys in car, if the lights don't blink it's not yours.

I generally tell them how nice their car looks.

In honor of eyeglass day

Glasses

Are they for:
Faraway ?
Close up ?
Both ?

Lined lenses ?
No line

One pair in each car.

Extra Credit Question:

That's Dear ?
That's Pricey ?
Holy Crap are they nuts ?
Depends on the usefulness of said item.

Just for Fun:

I'm ambidextrous

Several years ago. I couldn't drive because my shoulder had been operated on.

Today in History:
1287 - Eyeglasses debuted
1889 - William Gray patents coin-operated telephone
1907 - First Taxicab used
1919 - Man o'War's only defeat (the upset was by a horse named Upset)
1934 - Cartoonist Al Capp began his famous comic strip, "Li’l Abner"
1981 - Last broadcast of "Waltons" on CBS-TV
1993 - U.S. Court of Appeals rules congress must save all E-Mails

Word of the Day:
subterfuge [suhb-ter-fyooj] noun
1. an artifice or expedient used to evade a rule, escape a consequence, hide something, etc.

Today is:
National Filet Mignon Day
Trail Mix Day
International Left Handers Day
Taxicab Day
Eyeglasses Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics