Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 05:23 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,987,165 times

Advertisements

Spring house cleaning,,,,, why can’t it be held over for a while and become summer instead? Aren’t there a lot more things of interest to do in the Spring instead of cleaning? Who makes these rules?

I lost a good 8 hours today that should have been used for something more fun then cleaning.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:44 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,056,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Spring house cleaning,,,,, why can’t it be held over for a while and become summer instead? Aren’t there a lot more things of interest to do in the Spring instead of cleaning? Who makes these rules?

I lost a good 8 hours today that should have been used for something more fun then cleaning.
Now where's my violin when I need it?

Old 04-18-2010, 06:58 PM

3,970 posts, read 8,540,466 times
We have just skipped the spring house cleaning for a good number of years and just did the major cleaning when we felt like it (Unfortunately, not often enough). Now that we need to have the house ready to show on short notice, we have been trying to not let it get too bad. Hopefully we can just pack things up pretty soon and do a quick cleaning when there is nothing in the room in the way.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 PM

Unhappy .

Ok,,, it’s one of those days when the one neighbor knocks at the door and you gotta answer it only to find that he has a cards in his hand that he’s passing out to everyone and says that he is inviting Mrs & me to their anniversary party/dinner on Friday.

I don’t want to go, Mrs doesn’t want to go and they live across the street and a couple of houses down the block. We haven’t been much for being “close” neighbors or friends with them but we’ve known them for a long time here. Knowing them is part of the reason we don’t want to go to their anniversary party or anything else for that matter.

I hate being put in this position and saying “no” we’re not coming to the party but we don’t want to socialize with them and haven’t done so the last five years or so. How do I get out of going?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,284,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Ok,,, it’s one of those days when the one neighbor knocks at the door and you gotta answer it only to find that he has a cards in his hand that he’s passing out to everyone and says that he is inviting Mrs & me to their anniversary party/dinner on Friday.

I don’t want to go, Mrs doesn’t want to go and they live across the street and a couple of houses down the block. We haven’t been much for being “close” neighbors or friends with them but we’ve known them for a long time here. Knowing them is part of the reason we don’t want to go to their anniversary party or anything else for that matter.

I hate being put in this position and saying “no” we’re not coming to the party but we don’t want to socialize with them and haven’t done so the last five years or so. How do I get out of going?
Say an unexpected death in the family or family emergency and you have to go to the funeral home, house or hospital and then just go out to the movies or something.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,797,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Say an unexpected death in the family or family emergency and you have to go to the funeral home, house or hospital and then just go out to the movies or something.
Keep it simple. A family "situation" isn't as serious and isn't a likely candidate for follow-up. If that's the way you want to handle it. Me?... I'd just say "We appreciate the invitation but not sure if we'll be able to make it". Even if all we did was to stay home. Of course I spent so many years not saying "no", that it doesn't bother me to give that answer anymore. (not so much with my wife) I always feel better knowing I was honest. I certainly am not as "drained" not doing things that I really have no obligation to. Of course, if you do end up going, stay as long as you can stand it. Then say, you or your wife is suddenly not feeling good and it's time to go.

I still prefer the, "...not sure if we'll be able to make it" answer. Not a lie or the truth. Just... NOT SURE.

We, just this past weekend, got out of going somewhere with an obnoxious couple we met last summer. This guys wife knows nothing other than loud or louder when she speaks. Thank goodness I really landed a job interview this morning. My wife had already told them yes. I was able to be honest and decline two days in advance.

Just my opinion. Do what's best for you.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,902,267 times
"So sorry but I had no idea Mrs. A had made other plans for that night."

Old 04-19-2010, 06:07 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,284,386 times
Okay, I'm really tired of seeing women with chipped up nail polish serving food in restaurants. I often wonder where the chips of polish went? Makes me lose my appetitie. I see this most often in fast food and drive thrus. Please, managers, abolish this practice and have them either take care of it or don't wear it around my food.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,382,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Okay, I'm really tired of seeing women with chipped up nail polish serving food in restaurants. I often wonder where the chips of polish went? Makes me lose my appetitie. I see this most often in fast food and drive thrus. Please, managers, abolish this practice and have them either take care of it or don't wear it around my food.
Not sure of all the rules here... but when I worked in the business, we weren't allowed to wear nail polish, heavy make-up, strong perfume, tank tops, and bare legs were a big no no.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 PM

^^
If you saw what was happening in the kitchen you’d not want to eat the food no matter who carried it out to the table.

I remember waitresses had to wear those little hates or a hairnet when working the tables. The cooks always had a hat or hairnet on, I washed dishes and had to wear a paper hat ,,,, however I started at 13 years old and things have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics