Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you use one of those leashes on you child(ren)??
Yes, they're practical and keep my child from wandering off. 40 53.33%
No, they're constricting and undignified. 21 28.00%
I'm on the fence about them. 14 18.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:14 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,347,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My wife and I never needed the use of them.

Our children were well behaved, because WE took charge.

We used to call them "dopes on a rope".
:: puke::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 04:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,855,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
:: puke::
Interesting. That is the same reaction I had when I read that. Hmm.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,399,730 times
The most important thing is the safety of a child. Although I didn't use one for my son, I could understand the mothers of very energetic and wiggly children who did. What is a couple of dirty and disapproving looks in comparison to making sure that the child doesn't run out on the street?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,403,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
ummm no because its not a wire cage and its only for sleeping not for putting your child in when you leave the house for hours on end. You also dont use a crib to potty train a baby....
Umm, I have a second crib that's not for sleeping. I actually do use it as a "cage' - a safe place to contain my daughter while I use the restroom, answer the door, cook dinner, etc.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:54 PM

992 posts, read 2,375,495 times
We have a second crib too, just for containing !

Old 06-14-2011, 04:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,579,593 times
I used to think that leashes were for animals. Now I think why wouldn't you give your kids as much protection as you'd give a dog? What changed my mind? When dd was about 2 1/2 she decided to play hide and seek in a clothing store. The entire mall was on lock down by the time we found her. She had crawled up into a clothing rack and was waiting for me to find her.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,652,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I used to think that leashes were for animals. Now I think why wouldn't you give your kids as much protection as you'd give a dog? What changed my mind? When dd was about 2 1/2 she decided to play hide and seek in a clothing store. The entire mall was on lock down by the time we found her. She had crawled up into a clothing rack and was waiting for me to find her.
OMG!!! !!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,681,371 times
Quote:

Mom? j/k lol!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,078,247 times
Quote:
WOW!

That must have been a frightening period!

I couldn't imagine the fear.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,492,851 times
I grew up in England (in the dark ages) where it was extremely common for parents to use them. We called them reins. I vaguely recall being 'reined' (at least, I've seen some photos) and certainly remember them being used with my brother.

When my daughter was a baby I bought some reins in anticipation that I would need them. As it turned out, I only used them a handful of times (in crowded places) because my daughter wasn't a wanderer and responded well to requests to hold my hand, hold onto the stroller, or hold my hand. Plus she was a small child and easy for me to carry when necessary.

The main benefit of possessing the reins was when she was in the care of a grandparent or other older person - especially if they were not nimble on their feet, or had difficulties carrying her. They were an absolute godsend on those occasions - mainly for the peace of mind of the older person who was caring for her. Even if she was unlikely to run off, they knew she couldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting