Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Everyone is missing the point in the story. Of course they were talking about sex and drinkng, etc, but its a romanticized book or play or song vs. one completely degrading and illegal (I don't know the story of Madame Butterfly and should have looked it up before I said this, maybe its also illegal if he married the girl in teh states)

But fine you win, treating daughters as hoes, having mistresses, shooting **** day in day out is all good. Doesn't really affect me in the end.
It's not good or bad, neither is it new...as others have very eloquently pointed out above. There are a very few people who are going to be negatively affected by contemporary culture, and that is not new either. Most people are able to appreciate art for what it is, and not as a hand-book for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I can't believe I forgot "Louie, Louie" written by Richard Berry! Sex. And more sex.

There were the "nice" lyrics. And there were the perfectly raunchy lyrics sung by every garage band in the country.

(That song was written, BTW, at a place called Harmony Park Ballroom which was about a mile from Disneyland. That always made me laugh.)

Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's not good or bad, neither is it new...as others have very eloquently pointed out above. There are a very few people who are going to be negatively affected by contemporary culture, and that is not new either. Most people are able to appreciate art for what it is, and not as a hand-book for life.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I can't believe I forgot "Louie, Louie" written by Richard Berry! Sex. And more sex.

There were the "nice" lyrics. And there were the perfectly raunchy lyrics sung by every garage band in the country.

(That song was written, BTW, at a place called Harmony Park Ballroom which was about a mile from Disneyland. That always made me laugh.)
That is funny. I have friends who won't let their kids listen to "pop" because they think the content is "inappropriate", but they listen to rock. The other day the kids were listening to Black Sabbath and Alice cooper, I suggested the parents look up some of the lyrics, they were .

Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That is funny. I have friends who won't let their kids listen to "pop" because they think the content is "inappropriate", but they listen to rock. The other day the kids were listening to Black Sabbath and Alice cooper, I suggested the parents look up some of the lyrics, they were .

Old 01-17-2012, 11:12 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Agree with eastwest's response. It's not about finding what they are saying or doing acceptable, it's about viewing it within the context of what it is, art and expression. Shakespeare was an incredibly risque guy in his day, now it's required reading in school. The underlying themes and messages haven't changed, merely the medium and the language.

Do you honestly listen to music at a superficial level to only hear the words, or do you strive to understand the deeper meaning?

I'm only 31, so I grew up on Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Linkin Park, etc. and still listen to them. What I will say is that the imagery and message conveyed by most of these artists is very similar to the things that Shakespeare was writing about or contains very relevant political and cultural messages.

If you can't see the parallels between the Montagues and Capulets having a gang war in the streets while Romeo and Juliet are driven to suicide over their forbidden love with some of the lyrics in modern songs, you're not listening very well.
You are somewhat right, but I disagree with you, primarily becoz it's not as simple as you are making it sound.

It's the "intensity" of the propaganda coming out of the tube. Technology and modern advances in upping the limit of tolerance and the perimeter of decency has been exponentially increasing. While both epochs of humanity may have been selling the same propaganda, there's a clear difference in crossing the limit and upping the bar.

I mean, as rebellious as young girls were in the 60s, with the woodstock movement, how many facebook pictures did you see or hear about, with girls sitting on the toilet seat with panties all the way down to the ankles. And 25 people thumbs upping it

MTV, if in 1960, would have thought 100 times before putting out some show like Jersey Shore We aren't talking technological advancement or kids were always kids ideology here. There's a raging acceptance movement among grown adults. Children aren't the problem.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I mean, as rebellious as young girls were in the 60s, with the woodstock movement, how many facebook pictures did you see or hear about, with girls sitting on the toilet seat with panties all the way down to the ankles. And 25 people thumbs upping it
Who needed FB? There was a tremendously popular poster of Frank Zappa in just that position. It was available at every record store and swap meet in the country. (I won't mention that you could also get it at any head shop. )

Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
Quote:
At the risk of sounding like I'm 70 and explaining the 60's..... Here's a few off the top of my head:

White Rabbit: Jefferson Airplane - Drugs. The last lines are "Feed your head! Feed your Head!" They aren't talking about having sprouts for lunch.

Run For Your Life: The Beatles - Violence against women.

Eve of Destruction: Barry McGuire - Anti war protest. Anti military draft. This one really ticked off The Establishment.

Rhapsody in the Rain: Lou Christie - Sex and lots of it. In the car. Banned by many radio stations at the urging of the Catholic church.

House of the Rising Sun: The Animals - Song about a bordello and prostitution

A Day in the Life: The Beatles - Suicide

Along Comes Mary: The Association - Pot (and impotence -wink -)

Please, Please Me - The Beatles - Sex. Man urging woman to... you know.

I only looked up the one Rhapsody in the Rain. And while it may be pushing it for its time, it was about something not illegal by any means. And the majority of these songs are more so subliminally about the topic you mentioned. So to this, I raise you.

Ghostface Killah - three bricks
Today's agenda, got the suitcase up in the Sentra
Go to room 112, tell 'em Blanco sent ya
Feel the strangest, if no money exchanges
I got these kids in Ranges, to leave them n***az brainless
All they tote is stainless, you just remain as
calm as possible, make the deal go through
If not, here's 12 shots, we know how you do
Please make yo' killings clean, slugs up in between
they eyes, like "True Lies," kill 'em and flee the scene
Just bring back the coke or the cream.

This is the tame part of the song too. I dig the song, I like the sound, but I don't think this is what 13-14 year olds should be listening to and influenced by. Its nothing new and that doesn't make it right.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Its nothing new and that doesn't make it right.
Your post is veering awfully close to promoting censorship. No one is saying these provocative songs are right or wrong, they just are, and they always have been. Whether or not children did or will see or listen to provocative art is controlled by a variety of factors. Parents discussing these influences is key, not protecting them from them, which is very difficult to do in reality.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Who needed FB? There was a tremendously popular poster of Frank Zappa in just that position. It was available at every record store and swap meet in the country. (I won't mention that you could also get it at any head shop. )
Do you mean this one?

Redirect Notice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting