Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 04:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
EXACTLY!

I will say it once and I'll say it again there is a big difference betwwen SPANKING and BEATING. Spanking=discipline Beating=child abuse. In my world at least.
Yes and some time-out for 5 min and some lock there kid in a closet for days. I think there is a world of difference in both. Let's not get crazy people, spanking parents aren't in any more danger of fisting there kids in the stomach as time-out moms are likely to go to far and lock their kids in a closet without food or a toilet for 2 days. I think we can agree that both of those are extreme and abusive of the parental right. I doubt we have either on here in this discussion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Oh, long term effects on "children", thank God I got flustered for a moment.

Misbehaviour needs to be dealt with appropriately. I'm sick and tired of people trying to be Buddhists with their kids. I mean, come on Grow a pair, puh fricking lease.

Says the man who clearly knows nothing about Buddhism. This is once again the most useless thread topic ever. Every tom, dick and ****head comes in from nowhere with their non-opinion.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Says the man who clearly knows nothing about Buddhism. This is once again the most useless thread topic ever. Every tom, dick and ****head comes in from nowhere with their non-opinion.
What, you don't think "Grow a pair, puh frickin lease" is a compelling argument?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I doubt this will change the mind of those who still swear they believe everything wrong with our kids today is because they aren't spanked.
I doubt reminding the anti-spanking quacks that correlation does not imply causation will convince them to stop talking as though it does.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
What, you don't think "Grow a pair, puh frickin lease" is a compelling argument?
Dying! I have made my discipline stance... I was going to say abundantly clear. I have posted the links copious times.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,770 times
I have spanked my son. I have time-outed my son and I have taken privileges away. I have used positive reinforcement. Because different situations require different things. Generally the spanking is relegated to physically harmful things he is doing to give a serious consequence to a dangerous situation, but that is also accompanied by explaining why its not ok. My 4 year old is a little person, and if you have a conversation with him you will very quickly see his reasoning and logic. And thus, logically explaining something to him often works. Then comes the discipline if explaining doesnt work. An earlier poster said she/he is the parent and isnt explaining to a child, but sometimes you get better results that way. Just my .02

Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
An earlier poster said she/he is the parent and isnt explaining to a child, but sometimes you get better results that way. Just my .02
It's not just about getting results, though. It's about demonstrating to them how we all should solve our problems. Not by hitting, by talking it out. That is the main point that people against spanking are hoping to make, after all: that even if spanking is effective in one light, it can have adverse effects on the child that many parents overlook. And I'm trying not to stereotype here, but in my experience, the parents who spank their kids often are the same ones who don't actively encourage proper behavior. This is a common difference between authoritative and authoritarian parenting. Authoritarians focus so much on their role at the boss, they fail as anything more.

Even toddlers who cannot fully understand right from wrong can mimic your behavior. It is NEVER too early to start teaching by example whatever it is you want them to learn. Given the option (and any reasonable person must assume that spanking and timeouts are at least comparable in terms of effectiveness), why would a parent turn down the opportunity to teach by doing? If not laziness or ignorance of how to communicate with young children, then why?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
It's not just about getting results, though. It's about demonstrating to them how we all should solve our problems. Not by hitting, by talking it out.
By....

Evaluating WHAT the problem is, identifying clearly.
Brainstorming possible solutions.
Evaluating the solutions for their risk and benefit.

That and many other useful lessons are missed when we deal in simplistic behavior response type discipline.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
Here we go again.

There's a difference between spanking and beating your kids. Giving your child a swat on the bottom when the situation is appropriate is NOT abuse. However, beating them with a belt out of anger and frustration IS abuse.

When I have kids, I will be spanking them when they need it.

People pushing stuff like this to be "softer" on the youths are one of the reasons why children today are so misbehaved and selfish because parents don't give their children a firm hand and let them know right from wrong.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
People pushing stuff like this to be "softer" on the youths are one of the reasons why children today are so misbehaved and selfish because parents don't give their children a firm hand and let them know right from wrong.
There are plenty of parents who teach their children right from wrong and how to be respectful and responsible without spanking. There are ways to be effective and authoritative without using spanking as a discipline tool. I'm not anti-spanking (though I don't spank), but assuming misbehavior and selfishness is a result of not being spanked seems like a huge over-generalization of questionable accuracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting