Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Her ex saw the kids a few times a year after they split and he skirted paying child support. What kind of father does that?
The kind of father who believes his desire to chase around carries more weight than his responsibilities to his children.

Over the years, I've known several fathers who skipped out only to return when the kids were grown and expect to walk them down the aisle, be called "Papa" by the grandkids, reap the benefits of having raised children.

Our neighbor's husband left her with seven kids to raise. He was invited to a daughter's wedding, but when it appeared he expected to walk her down the aisle, the daughter was clear that, "Mama will be walking beside me, just like she's walked beside me all along."

He didn't attend. Claimed it would be "too humiliating." Apparently, abandoning his family was fine and having this acknowledged was shameful.

Several of my mother's friends had husbands return when they had end-of-life issues expecting their kids, who hardly knew their fathers, to care for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 AM

13,407 posts, read 28,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Nope. It is owed. It is in arrears. Maybe Mom can pay off some debt she incurred or use it to help with college expenses for her kids.

In any case, it is owed and a person shouldn't get a pass for being an asshat for more than a decade and not paying when the mom had to scrape around to make ends meet.
What anifani said....can't believe he even had the nerve to request that

Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,815,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hmmm, biological dad didn't pay child support for ten years, part of that time Mom couldn't even find out where he lived and when she could he only took jobs where he was paid illegally so that he did not have to pay child support.

Do you really think that Dad had any interest in his children or kept up with visitation during that ten year period? I wonder what lessons his children learned from his decision not to pay court ordered child support and lie & cheat the government as well as them?
The kids are not stupid. They already saw what their father did. Taking the money is not going to change that. If they want to try to have a relationship with him now that's on them. Lots of people try to navigate some degree of relationship with an imperfect parent.

Lots of dads skip out on money but still want to see their kids. Some don't have the money, some have it but not as much as the courts want them to pay, some are just selfish and see paying as rewarding the mom and think they still "love" their kids even if they don't pay "her". It happens.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:44 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,284,905 times
He'll quit that job and start working under the table again. He sounds like a real prize.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,176,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
He'll quit that job and start working under the table again. He sounds like a real prize.
I agree that is probably true.

My brother, who is retired, kept noticing this younger man who was often at the public library during the day when my brother was there. One day my brother decided to talk to him and the man explained that he used to be an executive making a huge salary, but his wife divorced him and the day that the courts awarded child support (for his three children) he quit his job and was now basically homeless by choice (that was why he was in the library so often). He told my brother that he would never get another legitimate job (but often accepted cash for odd & short term jobs) thus he "would never have to pay his wife child support".

My brother said that the man was so creepy and determined to make his wife suffer that it appeared that he didn't even care that he was making his children suffer as well. The man delightfully shared a few more details, like his wife was awarded their big house in the divorce but couldn't keep up with the mortgage payments (probably because he wasn't paying child support) so his ex-wife and three kids were forced to move into a tiny apartment in a bad school district.

I have a feeling that the ex-husband of the OPs friend was a lot like the creepy, deadbeat dad that my brother was talking to in the library.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
She did not decide to let him stop paying child support. He did not pay support for many years and owes arrears. He has asked her to agree to waive the past due support. She asked me what I thought. I told her I think she is crazy to even consider waiving support that is due to her.

Her kids are over 18 now and she did remarry (after her kids were grown). That doesn't change the fact that he owes her the money.
I'm well aware. I was responding to someone who said she might not be able to afford to drop it since she's a single mom. Since she is remarried, she is not currently a single mother. Even though she struggled in the past, she obviously feels she can financially afford to drop it or she wouldn't even be considering it.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:06 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,256,179 times
Why would she even consider dropping it at his request? Hell no.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Why would she even consider dropping it at his request? Hell no.
^^This^^^

Paying his debts is not a punishment, for heaven sakes.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
My brother, who is retired, kept noticing this younger man who was often at the public library during the day when my brother was there. One day my brother decided to talk to him and the man explained that he used to be an executive making a huge salary, but his wife divorced him and the day that the courts awarded child support (for his three children) he quit his job and was now basically homeless by choice (that was why he was in the library so often). He told my brother that he would never get another legitimate job (but often accepted cash for odd & short term jobs) thus he "would never have to pay his wife child support".

My brother said that the man was so creepy and determined to make his wife suffer that it appeared that he didn't even care that he was making his children suffer as well. The man delightfully shared a few more details, like his wife was awarded their big house in the divorce but couldn't keep up with the mortgage payments (probably because he wasn't paying child support) so his ex-wife and three kids were forced to move into a tiny apartment in a bad school district.
Fat chance this guy was ever an executive making a huge salary. Maybe a meth manufacturer or some such thing.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:57 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,053,644 times
Quote:
I agree that is probably true.

And why was your brother in the library so often to notice this man in the library so often? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting