Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:05 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,608,903 times

Advertisements

This thread is very strange. I would not be offended if I asked one of my kid's friend to call me by my first name but they felt uncomfortable doing that and preferred to call me Mrs. "Smith". Why would that offend someone?

Do people actually get upset about this? This is hilarious! LOL

I can just see it right now, some "offended" person calling up their mother or friend in horror to complain about the awful incident:

"oh my god, little Jimmy called me Mrs. Smith today. I asked that little sob to call me Jackie, but that damn kid keeps calling me Mrs. Smith"

oh my what a tragedy. Hop on the POOP train folks, it's offending time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 11:26 AM

22,207 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
If you are intent on subverting my parenting, I would have to consider you a bad influence and try to limit contact between you and my kids.
It's about control! And you as an adult do not get to impose your will on me as an adult period.

Listen to the language, "subverting my parenting." Yes that attitude seeks to impose your will on your children as a parent, which is one thing, but to extend that over controlling attitude on other adults is a different realm altogether.

Guess what? Other people may have different views of parenting and respect and the whole world does not bow to your attempts to impose your views on others!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:14 PM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
It's about control! And you as an adult do not get to impose your will on me as an adult period.

Listen to the language, "subverting my parenting." Yes that attitude seeks to impose your will on your children as a parent, which is one thing, but to extend that over controlling attitude on other adults is a different realm altogether.

Guess what? Other people may have different views of parenting and respect and the whole world does not bow to your attempts to impose your views on others!
If you were training your German Shepard puppy, and he had a tendancy to jump up on people. If when he was approaching me he started jumping and you said, "Please don't let him jump up, he is going to grow to be really big and if he jumps up on people it won't be good for him. Just say down boy, he understands that." If I ignored you and encouraged the dog to jump up...I would be expressing my free will....but to what end; why would I even do that.?

Old 02-02-2008, 12:20 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post

This is not about other people and THEIR views. It’s about our KIDS and imposing courtesy on them is our responsibility to THEM, not to anyone else especially as far teaching manners. I’ll bet anything you are not a parent because you would easily understand. If you have children, would you allow them to follow standards in which you don't believe? Come on. I’ts so elementary.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:51 PM

22,207 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
If you were training your German Shepard puppy, and he had a tendancy to jump up on people. If when he was approaching me he started jumping and you said, "Please don't let him jump up, he is going to grow to be really big and if he jumps up on people it won't be good for him. Just say down boy, he understands that." If I ignored you and encouraged the dog to jump up...I would be expressing my free will....but to what end; why would I even do that.?
So then you equate a child with a dog....hmmmm.... in the sense it is your property and you will force it to submit to your will.....? That says something about how the person writing this views children.

Children are people, not dogs. I prefer to treat children with the same respect, dignity, courtesy, and kindness that I would an adult acquaintance, friend, or loved one.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:23 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
So despite the fact that someone (like me) wants and prefers to be addressed by their first name, you'll still insist your child address them in a manner that they do not like? It's fine for the kid to do that if you don't know the person's preferences, but once I say "Please call me by my first name" then it's only polite for you and your child to do so. If you continued to do so after I've nicely asked you not to, then yes...you're being insulting by not following my reasonable request.

A child is addressing you in a respectful manner. If you don't like it, don't invite them back. Did it ever cross your mind that maybe you are the one being rude and insulting when you deliberately go against a parents' wishes for their child to be respectful and honorable toward adults?

Sheesh. It's a name, not a battle line.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,622,031 times
Please remember no personal attacks. Address the subject matter only.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
I personally do not like Mr........ that's for old people [old being more then one day older then me] HOWEVER....as long as I'm not being called late for lunch then I really don't care how it comes out.....as long as it's not YO DUDE.....

Old 02-02-2008, 05:31 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,608,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
So despite the fact that someone (like me) wants and prefers to be addressed by their first name, you'll still insist your child address them in a manner that they do not like? It's fine for the kid to do that if you don't know the person's preferences, but once I say "Please call me by my first name" then it's only polite for you and your child to do so. If you continued to do so after I've nicely asked you not to, then yes...you're being insulting by not following my reasonable request.
Hey, I keep trying to get people to refer to me as Goddess, but those rude people just won't do it.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
Hey, I keep trying to get people to refer to me as Goddess, but those rude people just won't do it.

SERIOUSLY! Me too! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting