Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 06:26 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times

Advertisements

All you BREEDERS pay attention to this thread. Kids are great when they are small. Then they grow up. Not all kids are like this but the more you have the greater the chances. Is it really a parents job to care for adult children? Providing them all the things they have become accustomed to? The need for large families is long gone. Most parents have their hands full with one child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 07:25 AM

290 posts, read 366,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by december215 View Post
Fast food jobs are overpaid already. A cashier should make about $2 an hour. They are one step away from automation.

This isn't 1960 where the cashier did all the math by hand. They are pressing a button on a cash register.

At $10 per hour, I'd rather just have a touch screen to take the order.

McDonald's should just hire dozens of employees for 2-hour shifts. Anyone could get through a 2-hour shift. A 10-year old could handle a cashier job. For those of you who disagree, 10-year olds code their own games. They could figure out how to work a soda machine.
Great, then you can go ahead and patronize strictly companies that use touch screens to take your order. If you believe in the free market, then you should definitely take advantage of its boundless options.

Sure, a certain number of talented 10-year-olds can code, AND some can even design the UI of the touch screen. And someday that work, too, will be automated...sooner than you think. It's not terribly difficult work once you get some experience in it, especially if you have the eye for good code and design. Some would even say it's easier than Mickey D's. I would, and I've done both. My wife would agree. A tech desk job requires a fraction of the physical stamina you need to finish a shift at your average fast-food joint.

I know some like to beat the STEM drum hard, and its their prerogative to drum away as they like. Here in the real world however, some STEM jobs pay the same or less as the fast-food workers whose jobs, some say, are so simple and pointless that a child could do them. Either way, eventually, perhaps within some posters' lifetimes, employment as we know it will completely come to an end, and we, as a people, will be faced with some very difficult decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl
All you BREEDERS pay attention to this thread. Kids are great when they are small. Then they grow up. Not all kids are like this but the more you have the greater the chances. Is it really a parents job to care for adult children? Providing them all the things they have become accustomed to? The need for large families is long gone. Most parents have their hands full with one child.
All you parents, pay attention to this thread, as it is currently being steered in a bizarre direction by those with a disposition that compels them to pass off an anti-parenting, anti-child screed as advice on probability/statistics, world history, AND child/adolescent psychology, despite lacking a basic foundation in any of the above. The internet simply attracts those of this particular disposition, who believe that the more they scream something (e.g. "parents = moron BREEDERS", or "[insert MY nonsense here]"), the greater the chances that it will become true. They are sadly mistaken, and little can be done to disabuse them of their notions, no matter how hard you try. You probably have your hands full with one child, possibly more than one, and the time to tell people when they're sounding less than lucid is long gone. Don't bother. No good can come of it.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:06 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
The long term solution to this dad's problem is simple, as several posters have already pointed out. Dad just needs to quit giving his daughter money. Reality will take care of her situation.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:15 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutmummy View Post
yes I thought too. many young adult girls below 25 that are kicked out of their house young turn to their bodies as a source of income which is awful
Yep...I go backpacking often, and when I'm going to or from the airport (lugging my belongings around), I'm often propositioned by pimps. On more than one occasion, I was followed or cornered. Thank god it both happened during the day, who knows if it was night.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:05 PM

183 posts, read 210,795 times
The solution is simple- as others have already said stop giving her money. Only provide a basic roof over her head and food. I think that kicking her out is going to amplify her sense of abandonment that she seems to already have from her mother.
Also, do you really want your child to become a sex worker?
Sit her down and say look this is the real world and if you want the luxuries in life you are going to have to get a job and contribute to the household. She needs to figure out on her own which job she can handle for now.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:50 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Quote:
If he demands rent when she's vulnerable, don't be surprised when she demands rent when the parent is 85 and vulnerable.

I'm not sure it's going to be worth it for the parent in the long run.
Too funny. What makes you think her daddy wont still be paying for a roof over her head. She cant even support herself.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:02 PM

290 posts, read 366,742 times
Quote:
I'd be more compelled to pay fast food workers a better wage if they could get a damn order right once.

Saying I need 8 ketchups and 4 mustards and getting 2 ketchups and no mustards every time doesn't make me want to support you.
Since that's your standard, might want to start protesting the tech industry as well.

The number of malfunctioning apps they release for Android and iOS, which don't frankly deserve ONE star, is staggering. And those workers make well into six figures to sit in nice air conditioned offices in jeans, listening to music and working on their preferred timeframe.

Since perfection is the standard by which you judge, and it is of HIGH priority to you, it would behoove you to set an example (which includes not being a hypocrite) and call out EVERYONE who fails to perform their jobs in a less than perfect manner. I suspect you will find, in short order, that by your standard, no one deserves a paycheck.

It's okay. Many people learn at some point that practically no one can hold themselves to the standards they expect from others.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:53 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutmummy View Post
yes I thought too. many young adult girls below 25 that are kicked out of their house young turn to their bodies as a source of income which is awful
What do they do when they are kicked out at an old age?

Old 12-27-2015, 04:05 PM

341 posts, read 412,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
I am sure this is fairly common with young people today, but my daughter (mother sent her to me when she was 15) who is 22 thinks more menial jobs such as fast food is beneath her. She has had issues with authority and does not like doing what she doesn't want to do, even her mother got sick of it so she sent her to live with me at 15. We divorced when she was 10 and I still stayed in her life and did many things with her but by 15 my ex just couldn't handle her and sent her to me.

Anyway after many issues including her seeing a therapist she finally graduated HS at 19 and briefly went to CC but dropped out her first semester. From the outset it was bad I got her a cheap car which she complained about for "being a piece of junk" (it was a 2001 Nissan Sentra in good condition) and started partying and ignoring her studies and just dropped out. I told her she needs to find a job and she did apply at some retail places but that didn't pan out so I told her to apply at some fast food places but she just says she refuses to work fast food and doesn't want that kind of job.

I talked with her mother but she is married with two teens from it and she pretty much doesn't want anything to do with her.

What can I do, just threaten to kick her out? She'd be on the streets for sure. She has also gotten a few speeding tickets and instead of owning up to it she just goes on about how the police or stupid and just want their quotas.
Have her enlist in the military.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
I am sure this is fairly common with young people today, but my daughter (mother sent her to me when she was 15) who is 22 1) thinks more menial jobs such as fast food is beneath her. She has had issues with authority and does not like doing what she doesn't want to do...

From the outset it was bad 2) I got her a cheap car which she complained about for "being a piece of junk" (it was a 2001 Nissan Sentra in good condition) and started partying and ignoring her studies and just dropped out. I told her she needs to find a job and she did apply at some retail places but that didn't pan out so 3) I told her to apply at some fast food places but she just says she refuses to work fast food and doesn't want that kind of job.

4) What can I do, just threaten to kick her out? She'd be on the streets for sure. She has also gotten a few speeding tickets and instead of owning up to it she just goes on about how the police or stupid and just want their quotas.
1) You could agree with her concerning menial jobs being beneath her...IF she had finished CC and received a certificate/degree which could have led to more interesting and less menial work, BUT she didn't so she has to suck it up and do the menial work until something better comes along....OR she goes back to school and gets a certificate/degree which will lead to 'satisfactory work', her choice of course.

2) Take the car away from her and put it up for sale. Tell her once she gets a job that's not menial or beneath her she can buy whatever car she thinks she deserves (and can afford the payments on).

3) I would tell her it's okay for her to "refuse to work fast food" if "she doesn't want that kind of job", however, until such time she is self supporting, you "refuse to provide/pay for her food, her cell phone bill, her car insurance, her clothing, her ciggies, her 'personal toiletries', etc., etc." because it is beneath you!

4) No, don't threaten anything, tell her to pack up all of her things and prepare to move into whatever environment she can afford to place herself in. On the streets you say? TOTALLY her choice! Speeding tickets? Remind her of the court dates (if you know them) and if she doesn't take care of it, they will likely come looking for her...sooner or later.

She will discover rather quickly how little sympathy she will receive from the 'real world'. She has two arms, two legs (I presume, yes?) and a functioning brain so I don't see a problem with her supporting herself and standing on her own two feet.

The only problem I see is a spoiled brat who has entitlement issues. Sorry and maybe there's more to it than that but from your narrative...no, she's got to get her hiney out there and take some knocks and learn the hard way.

Good luck Dad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting