Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Not true, 18 is considered adult and a minor is jail bait...doesn't matter...if the kid gets mad, or his parents decide to call the police...or a teacher. Pretty risky. Lots of young people now have to register as sex offenders for life for just such consenting relationship.
OP...I would definitely discourage a sexual relationship....and do you due diligence for age of consent first..
You know what they say on the street "Fifteen will get you twenty (years in prison)."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:39 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
You do realize that when she is 18 and he is 16 she will be at risk of being considered an adult having sex with a minor.
I would be just as concerned about this 15 year old boys parents...Maybe they aren't ready for him to have sex, that is very young.
There is quite a maturity difference.
Most states now have Romeo and Juliet statutes. So no, she likely won't face any chance of charges.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Informative. Reading it, the ages of consent are 16-18 for all states.

Mom needs to rein this in as this kid, the boyfriend @15 is not at an age of consent and depending on their state it could be 3 years.

OP, I do not envy your situation. But from your initial post your daughter seems level headed and doesn't intend to have sex...
Depending on their birth months, he would likely be 16 before or not too long after she turns 18. Also law enforcement is faaaaaar less likely to charge a female with a sex crime. And several others have it written into the law if they were sexually active and there is a couple months gap, it doesn't count.

Still, its worth the OP to really look into.

As for the person who asked why people think just because teens are dating why do we assume they are having sex. Thats because we were teenagers...some of us have raised teenagers. Sex is on the mind 24/7 for boys and quite a lot for girls.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:42 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You know what they say on the street "Fifteen will get you twenty (years in prison)."
I hated it when older guys called me "jail bait". They usually said that right before unhooking my bra.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:34 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Had 6 kids 4 sons 2 daughters in 20 years ( one just ever so often ) my oldest daughter 21 did the shots since 16 I think and they have worked well no worries , no awkward conversations ( she is shy ) . She wanted to do the implants but is afraid of the procedure .

My second daughter age 16 I think is asexual , possibly gay . Sex is not even in her orbit ,, not sure why . She is into her music and her women friends . She has like 2 gay guy friends and that's it and lots of chick friends . I don't bother her about it.

Everyone is different .

Old 01-18-2016, 01:53 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The girl usually ends up with the baby!
Sometimes, but a lot of boys still have involvement with the baby too. And as a potential grandparent you really, really hope you've done your job right and your boy doesn't wind up a baby daddy and certainly not with more than one girl, though I've seen it happen.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:35 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPanthers View Post
Why do people act like just because 2 teenagers are dating, that they're going to have sex? Geesh. I can't even imagine treating my kids like that. I think as long as the lines of communication are open, and BC is readily available (buy a bunch of condoms and keep them in a common area, like under the bathroom sink, and replace as needed), your kids will be fine.

I have 3 teen daughters, and I think the thought of forcing BC on them just because they're dating is really offensive. I know parents worry about teen pregnancy, but damn. Give your kids a little credit.
Seriously?

Have you heard of Pascal's wager, concerning asymmetric risk? Google it.

If they are not having sex and you treat them like they are, the result is a little embarrassment on both sides.

If they are having sex and you treat them like they're not, the result is likely to be a baby that you'll have to take care of for the next 18 years, because teenage parents generally cannot.

Meanwhile, check your TV and the Internet to see whether teenage kids are getting signals that it's perfectly normal to have sex at a young age.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPanthers View Post
Why do people act like just because 2 teenagers are dating, that they're going to have sex? Geesh ...

I have 3 teen daughters, and I think the thought of forcing BC on them just because they're dating is really offensive. I know parents worry about teen pregnancy, but damn. Give your kids a little credit.
I can't imagine insisting on it either. Seems a strange thing to do based on a hunch that might not even be true.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I can't imagine insisting on it either. Seems a strange thing to do based on a hunch that might not even be true.
Especially since this is barely 2 months into dating. I hope the kids are smart....

Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
I covered a great many things about young women and pregnancy in Post #107 - These are things often times people don't want to explore and talk about and gloss over it, but it is very much things which exist in "everyday" reality. Not only in the lives of girls, but as the post states, It's much ado about who is in pursuit of the young woman, as well as whom she selects among those in pursuit.
It also addresses how she can be led and misled as well as coyly seduced when she may be most unsuspecting, or in some cases she may be suspecting but driven by the social pressures of the media saturation, which today seems to promote so much. There is not just the matter of pregnancy, but of life being confused by the excessive promotion in the media today of homosexuality.

There is the reality among young women, in some circles who are put down because they have not had sex, to those who are made to be outcast if they have had sex. We first have to face the multitude of things facing the female in their youthful years as it relates to sex, it does not go away as she continues to age.

As adults, we know the drive and pull of sex.. even as adults we have not mastered our sexual selves, it is still a daily work to deal with. We can and do adopt various virtues as we get older and we become in some cases driven to uphold those virtues and not to entertain temptations that would lead us to violate those virtues.
Often times, young woman are caught in the over dominance of a marketing system that is all about depicting her as a "lure magnet for pleasure", or "sex object by fashion symbols", and this is a bombardment they get from season to season under the guise of "fashion", telling them "what's hot" and "what's not", It's like a continual dictation.

The young women who can choose her style based on how she matures to see herself, becomes less of a victim of the fashion machine.

Either way and within all of this, Birth Control as it was in the 1970's a very liberating element for women, it also opened up many other things in society. Today, the realism is, Sexual promotion is the media theme, the movies theme, the TV shows theme and it is promoted in any and every manner and means one can imagine. It is not being less promoted, but it is being even more promoted to the point one cannot view media content without the sexual overtones, either overtly or subliminally pushed and promoted.
People try and give a blind eye to the many sex toys and how they are promoted, all these things are visible to the young females and it has become even more predominating in general media.

If one thinks the discussion about "birth control" is not a front and center necessity, then they simply are not paying attention to the ways of society, its media and the day to day realism which is overtly in the face and pushed into the minds of young women.

I see much in the comments about a variety of things, but not much is being discussed about the psychological realism of young women, pregnancy, when and if she becomes pregnant, or when or if she is a young mother. Not much is being said about how the community impact affects her, or how the family can mitigate some of the potential community damages can impact her lives as well as that of the family.

Pregnancy is just the tip of the iceberg.... it all entails everything that is about life and living.

So, birth control is and should always be a front line subject in the homes of any who have young daughters and sons.
Not much is said about the impact upon young males, but there is a whole array of subject matter which is needed in this spectrum as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting