Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 01:48 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,904 times

Advertisements

This just makes me sad....

It seems like this is something that could be worked out.

It's just ... once a year.

Which is quite infrequent, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 01:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay well maybe fixed income Is not the correct wording . I am no longer able to work due to a related injury(long story) Yes my husband would be going also .No my son is not financially able to pay even half the boarding fees or any of the trip expenses . I have been sitting down trying like the devil to figure out money , something, anything and there is nothing I can do . I have gone over it and over it on paper and there is just not any way I can do this .
So he can't afford it any more than you can? That's an unfortunate situation.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:59 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
okay well maybe fixed income Is not the correct wording . I am no longer able to work due to a related injury(long story) Yes my husband would be going also .No my son is not financially able to pay even half the boarding fees or any of the trip expenses . I have been sitting down trying like the devil to figure out money , something, anything and there is nothing I can do . I have gone over it and over it on paper and there is just not any way I can do this .
I am sorry that it is not working out.

Perhaps you have to "think outside the box". Depending on your health problems maybe you could run errands or be a companion for an elderly neighbor. I know that when my friends looked for "companion type" services for their elderly parents they definitely preferred someone who was more mature. In my area, those types of positions often pay $15 to $25 an hour and sometimes people are only looking for a few hours every week.

In my area there are also agencies or groups that provide free services to lower income seniors. Perhaps your local council on aging may have ideas on where you could receive free or low cost pet boarding.

Good luck.

I'm reposting my post that lists some of things that we did to earn extra money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The first years that my husband was mildly disabled (and thus unemployed) money was pretty tight. I needed to return to work after taking early retirement due to my health issues. I started working full time as a substitute teacher. Depending on your area of the country, and your education skills, that could be something that you could consider (working as a substitute teacher or substitute teacher's aide). Many retired people only work a few days a month to earn extra money. Another, possibility would be to work for a temp agency to earn more money.

In addition to returning to work (to pay the bills) I also started figuring out extra ways to earn money to help save specifically to travel to visit my son/DIL/grandchildren. I started tutoring a student twice a week and doing occasional babysitting. My specialty was doing special needs babysitting or babysitting for out of towners attending weddings or events in my city. In addition, I also sold unneeded items through Craigslist or eBay. If you really put your mind to it I bet that you could save up enough money to board your dogs and to take a trip to see your grandchildren.

Sometimes, it was $30 for tutoring, other times it was $5 or $10 for an item sold on Craigslist and a couple of times it was $75 or $100 for babysitting Saturday all day & night while someone attended a wedding, reception and dance. Many times it was $4 or $8 or $12 for something sold on eBay.

While it does not sound like a lot it usually added up to two plane tickets & a frugal vacation to see our grandchildren every year. Our son, or our son & his family also traveled to see us once a year.

I also bartered items & skills to save money. I have traded babysitting for plates of home-made cookies that I needed for a celebration. I also traded caring for someone's cat for them to do alterations. Win-win. They had someone reliable care for their cat & did not have to pay for it and I did not have to pay to have someone do alterations that I could not do myself.

I wonder if you could barter some work at the dog boarding place to "pay" for their boarding once a year? Maybe they need someone to help clean, or file, or man the phone during busy lunch periods? Maybe they need someone to do a one time project, such as paint the walls or replace wall paper in the offices or something like that. You don't know unless you ask.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:56 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,910,434 times
Quote:
He can't afford to help pay for you, yet somehow he can pay for his whole family to come visit you? This doesn't make sense.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Is there somewhere in the middle to meet for an afternoon? 3 hours each way is doable if there isn't another way to financially make it work. Meet for a picnic in the park. No hotels, no restaurants, 1/2 the fuel costs (splitting between two families). Bring the dogs or leave the home for the day. It would be a long day for all but it's a way to see each other.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Is there somewhere in the middle to meet for an afternoon? 3 hours each way is doable if there isn't another way to financially make it work. Meet for a picnic in the park. No hotels, no restaurants, 1/2 the fuel costs (splitting between two families). Bring the dogs or leave the home for the day. It would be a long day for all but it's a way to see each other.
Wow, I can't believe that I missed that they only live a six hour drive apart.

Meeting half way would definitely seem like an reasonable option.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:28 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
That seems like a doable option. Maybe wait for the weather to cool down to be able to take the dogs.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:39 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
I just got through telling my son that I could not afford to take a trip to see the grandkids this year because the dogs cost too much to board now . He then proceeded to tell me he guesses the dogs are more important than the grandkids are , I told him no it was just a financial situation and I live on a fixed income as well they know that .I also told them they were capable of coming here as well . I have offered them the extra room I have for them to sleep in . Oh no that would be too hard to drag the kids and stuff up here . I swear I just cannot win with them . I don't know how grown children can get an attitude so quick with their parents . I guess I have offended them because I wont jump through hoops financially to go down for a visit .I truly think that they don't know what it is to live on a fixed income and how hard that is . well now I want to hear from other grandparents in similar sittuations and what did you do ? or what do you do ? I admit it has been two years since I have gone down but there is just nothing I can do in the realm of finances this year .
Quote:
Ok, so if you know they have no money, why suggest that they travel to see you with their kids? That's much more expensive.

Quote:
I came here for advice and I'm getting judged by people who don't even know me . great thanks folks .
You have over 10 thousand posts - you know that's how CD works. LOL

Have you tried sitting down on a conference call with your husband, son, and daughter in law and ALL of you trying to come up with a way? Four heads may be better than one.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:53 PM

165 posts, read 174,797 times
Quote:
I came here for advice and I'm getting judged by people who don't even know me . great thanks folks .
You got a lot of good advice.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:00 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
Quote:

this is a great idea maybe I will suggest it to them and see if it is doable ...I know this would be doable for us that is a great idea and thank you . I will mention it to them when I call them tomorrow .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting