Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 04:08 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,433 times

Advertisements

I think once respect is established in the early years, there should be little need for it after 7-8. But sometimes they try to retest those boundaries. I can tell the parents that don't believe in spanking by the disprespect that comes out of their child's mouth. I would think discussing inappropriate behavior or sending a child on a time out or to their room would be the first course of action, but if that child refuses or is not receptive to discussing the behavior, or keeps on being disrespectful, that's where spanking comes in for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:05 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,781 times
Don't relate spanking here to beating' there is a difference ' . If yu can spank with care than spank if you've tried other forms of disipline first.

Society is killing our children because we refuse to make the punishment fit the crime . If a kid is not taught respect by their parents they will not grow up respecting themselves or others .

All American kids black, white red and yellow got spankings . I don't think you should use your hand on a child, but a switch or belt will get their attention when nothing else works .

Some children get abused or beat ,thats not dissapline it's child abuse .

Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingaway View Post
I agree. Call the cops and I will spank you right in front of them. I dare a kid to say that. Parents have to realize that they are in control, not kids.
Yeah, but then you run the risk of getting idiot cops like these!

Indiana police officer uses stun gun on unruly 10-year-old » Evansville Courier & Press

Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 AM

648 posts, read 3,089,552 times
you're never too old for a spanking but you can be too young (any age below 18) sorry, i couldn't resist

Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,730 times
I am very much pro spanking and I believe that we should use corporal punishment on Adults.

Given that this topic come round pretty often, I wrote some of my thoughts in my blog. here
http://www.city-data.com/blogs/536201-aidxen-page2.html

We do need to distingusih between spanking = punishment and beating the cr*p out of someone (= abuse).

We seem to have this idea that physical pain is bad. yet at the same time, we can frustrate our kids with long drawn out disipline processes. We just need to show them that they have crossed the line and then get on with life. Spanking is quick and to the point.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,220 times
I don't know if you would call what I do spanking or not. I just started to smack my 2 yr olds hand when she does something like throughs her plate in the floor or pulls her sisters hair. But in another 6 months or so she will be sent to the corner for a few minutes and have to say sorry for what she did. We have never gone past 1 smack on the hand or 1 smack on the top of the leg. I thing she has only been smacked on the leg twice, both times at Wal Mart. I never smack in anger, I take care of the behavior before it gets too bad. And of course she is 2, she should be getting into everything at this age. So how old is too old, for my family 3 and up, but not before 2. And only like once every 6-8 weeks.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Your kidding right, if you were my daughter and you threatened me, not only would I have smacked you, but I would have smacked you so hard, you would have seen stars, then threaten, me??, as a parent, good, then go out get a job and support yourself, because a 13 years old is not going to set rules in my home.
Its kids like you that parents are afraid of, not me, not today, not tomorrow, not ever. Would I be threatened by a 13 years old, oh hunny, i so do not think so !!!

I am truly blessed to have 3 wonderful sons, never gave me trouble.......
Whatever....... it's people like you who assume every child will comply/react the same if physically threatened. It's impression how some people can get angry over a simple comment or teach kids about self-control when you don't even have it.
Don't teach self-control if you can't even handle your temper. That's the same as if I was trying to teach my young brother about not bringing a girlfriend in the house. I would be a hypocrite if I acted like a strict older sister.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,018,870 times
My dad used to beat me til I was 14. Before i knew 'e was a paedo.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,248 times
The last spanking I got I was 23. I seriously was spanked almost once a month when I was 20, 21, 22, and 23. I was spanked a lot. I remember the last spanking I got most vividly. I was scolded like a child, then I was told to bend over the bed and dad spanked me 5-6 swats. I still get embarrassed when I think of it. I was a cryer too. I screamed and cried like I would if I was 10.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:20 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I don't know if you would call what I do spanking or not. I just started to smack my 2 yr olds hand when she does something like throughs her plate in the floor or pulls her sisters hair. But in another 6 months or so she will be sent to the corner for a few minutes and have to say sorry for what she did. We have never gone past 1 smack on the hand or 1 smack on the top of the leg. I thing she has only been smacked on the leg twice, both times at Wal Mart. I never smack in anger, I take care of the behavior before it gets too bad. And of course she is 2, she should be getting into everything at this age. So how old is too old, for my family 3 and up, but not before 2. And only like once every 6-8 weeks.
This is about right, I think. Toddlers who can't be reasoned with sometimes need a little swat. Once their language skills are there, it shouldn't be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting