Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 04:18 PM

60 posts, read 142,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applegate8 View Post
I used to regularly hang out at this Lucky Boy when I attending West in the early 60s (I graduated in '65).
I've read all the posts in this thread and they have brought back some wonderful memories. Here are some places I fondly remember in "Vanished Phoenix" (to paraphrase Martha Summer Hays) that have not previously been discussed in this thread:
-Kelly's (was in the building formerly the Golden Drumstick)-this restaurant had great live jazz
-The Branding Iron (building later occupied by the Mason Jar I believe)-Dick Robinson and the Make Believers played there for years. My friend Patty Dowling's father played in the band. The Make Believers all were good musicians, but their specialty was lip synching Stan Freeburg records like "Dragnet." They used to come on Wallace and Ladmo and do their routines
-Arizona Ranch House Inn (on Central north of Camelback next to Rancho Solano subdivision)-great live music and good food
-Stein and Sirloin (on Central just north of St. Francis church in one of two buildings owned by Elias Romley (Rick's dad) that also housed the Arizona Hi-Fi House)-a serving line buffet style restaurant that had great food and really outstanding live music
-Tony Hart's Band Box (19th Avenue and Campbell, later a topless bar)- great live music; Nadine Jansen played there for years
-Giavanni's (around 12th St. and Indian School)-an Italian restaurant that had live music; Lou Garno played there for years
-The Intimate Interlude (east Indian School)-Joe Pyne broadcast over KUPD from there in the early '60s; Joe had really strange guests (who he hilariously ridiculed) like Michael X. Barton, who believed in flying saucers and people inhabiting the bowels of the earth
-Lederman (across from Central High), Otto Stein's (on e. McDowell near Good Sam) & Quick's (on Central near KTAR studio)- music stores that I frequented
-Sandy's Records (on Monroe between Central and 1st Street)-absolutely the best record store in town at the time
-TV Leo's (Tower Plaza)-appliance store that carried a good selection of records
-Pepper Tree (7th Ave. and Thomas)- a "food bazaar" type restaurant
-Buddy's (Tempe Center)- THE hangout for ASU students in the '60s
-Bo-Jo's (Rural south of University)-you could get a 10" pizza there for 35 cents in the late 60s!
-Buckboard (Scottsdale Road and either McDowell or Thomas)-great buffet at an affordable price
-Fisher Drugs (on Grand Avenue near Downtown and near 19th Avenue and Camelback I think)
-The Blue Grotto (7th Avenue and Roosevelt)-pretty good food
-Rocky's Hideaway (in a hotel on Maryland west of 7th Avenue)-ok food; allegedly had mob connections
Here are some more long gone places I remember:
-Andy Grand's (E. McDowell)-Andy had a juke box with over 400 Frank Sinatra songs on it; Frank Jr. used to hang out there when he attended ASU in the early 60s
-Caesar's Forum (Central just south of Indian School)-owned by singer/musician Vic Caesar
-Six Points Hardware (six points)-a great old time hardware store
-Valley Surplus (Van Buren east of 27th Avenue)-the best war surplus store in Phoenix
-Tony DeMarco's (40th Street (I think) just south of Camelback)-owned by a former boxing champion
-Harry Wilson's Modern Tavern (where CityScape is today)-one of many historic bars in this block. I believe the Jewel Box pawnshop was in the same block
-Trade Winds (Jefferson Hotel I think maybe the Luhrs)-south seas décor
-Moe's Food Fair Market (there were several of these around the south and west sides)
-Blacksmith Shop (6th Avenue and Van Buren)-a great place to meet friends after work
-O.S. Stapley (the one I particularly remember was at 7th Avenue and Grand)-farm equipment
-Army National Guard Armory (7th Avenue and Jefferson)-teen dances were held there
-tallow works (48th Street east of the airport)-this stunk to high heavens and you could see dead horses hanging on hooks inside the building as you drove by on 48th Street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applegate8 View Post
I lived in an apartment next door to the house at 9th and Ash in 1968-69 while I was attending ASU. The apartment was owned by the same couple who owned the 9th and Ash house. I knew the architecture students who were renting the house and I was in it several times. I never heard anything about the house being haunted. Coincidentally, much later I helped out the owner of Casey Moore's (David Arkules) with some zoning issues he had with the property. His dad, Bud, was a friend of mine.
I don't know exactly when the paranormal reports began. It could be that they started after the house was sold and became 9th and Ash. Definitely kooky things afoot when I worked there. The first time it happened to me I was closing alone and hadn't worked there long. I thought someone had stayed behind in the house after I'd locked all the doors and then for some reason had fled out the emergency door. It had a crash bar mechanism. I called the cops. Nothing amiss inside or out. Next day I got the word from a waitress, it's the ghost, don't worry about it.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,681 times
For Applegate8:

6 Points Hardware:

Inside the Blacksmith's Shop Restaurant:

Old 06-29-2014, 12:37 PM

More for Applegate8:

Kelly's - 2730 N. Central - was this the one you mentioned?

Exterior of Kelly's. Jordan's, Quien Sabe, and Durant's across the street.

There were 2 Stein and Sirloins, the one you mentioned and the one on 4817 E. Indian School, next to Spitfire Automotive. It closed in 1963 and was reopened as Big Fisherman Sea Food - you can see it just to the right of Spitfire here:

Old 06-29-2014, 01:05 PM

More for Applegate8 - some places you mentioned...

I remember this guy being very popular in the Valley:

Mike Condello!

Sounds like you went to a lot of music shops - did you ever go to Ziggie's on 3rd Street? Last I checked, it was still there:

From Adam's Rib in the Pepper Tree - this sauce sounds good, I may try making it.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
More for Applegate8:

Kelly's - 2730 N. Central - was this the one you mentioned?

Exterior of Kelly's. Jordan's, Quien Sabe, and Durant's across the street.

There were 2 Stein and Sirloins, the one you mentioned and the one on 4817 E. Indian School, next to Spitfire Automotive. It closed in 1963 and was reopened as Big Fisherman Sea Food - you can see it just to the right of Spitfire here:
Thanks for the great photos, Arizona Mike. Yes, that's the Kelly's I remember. I don't recall the Stein and Sirloin on Indian School. In the Six Point Hardware photo taken southeast on Grand I can see the Grand/Willeta First National Bank branch where I did my banking.

Do you have any photos of Navarre's (Uptown Plaza) or Steve's Mexican Restaurant (S. Central)? Also, do you recall what was downstairs in the Arizona Hotel (3rd Ave. and Washington)? I remember going down the stairs, but I don't remember what was down there.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
More for Applegate8 - some places you mentioned...

I remember this guy being very popular in the Valley:

Mike Condello!

Sounds like you went to a lot of music shops - did you ever go to Ziggie's on 3rd Street? Last I checked, it was still there:

From Adam's Rib in the Pepper Tree - this sauce sounds good, I may try making it.
I'm amazed that you found all these ads! Bill Cyril, who is mentioned in the ad for Deke's also played vibes in the Make Believers. Stein and Sirloin always had first rate entertainment. Art Farmer (originally from Phoenix) and Benny Golson were all time jazz greats. Lloyd Ellis, mentioned in the Andy Grand's ad was a fine guitarist who I believe later moved to Las Vegas. But the ad is either misleading (to say the least) or an outright lie in claiming that Frank Sinatra performed there. I'm sure that's not true, unless its referring to Frank Jr., who did sing. I also remember Chic Myers. One of his stores was at McDowell and 35th Avenue, very near the original Garcia's and Isaac school. I frequently passed by Ziggy's but never went in because they did not sell wind instruments. Finally, going back to the Six Points Hardware photo you posted that shows the Chevrolet billboard, its curious no dealers were mentioned since Fletcher Jones and Rudolph were not too far away.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:37 PM

"Thanks for the great photos, Arizona Mike. Yes, that's the Kelly's I remember. I don't recall the Stein and Sirloin on Indian School. In the Six Point Hardware photo taken southeast on Grand I can see the Grand/Willeta First National Bank branch where I did my banking.

Do you have any photos of Navarre's (Uptown Plaza) or Steve's Mexican Restaurant (S. Central)? Also, do you recall what was downstairs in the Arizona Hotel (3rd Ave. and Washington)? I remember going down the stairs, but I don't remember what was down there."

Nothing for Steve's.

Main Dining Room of Navarre's in the 1960s. Owned at the time by Don Shores. Al McCoy, the Suns radio man, played piano in the bar on the other side of the decorative divider. It frequently hosted the Suns team. Bob Lloyd and his wife Olympia also played mood music in the lounge.

Navarre's Dining Room in the 1970s. AJ's Fine Foods is there today.

Arizona Hotel matchbook cover. Southwest corner of Washington and 3rd Avenue. I don't know what was downstairs, unfortunately.

Arizona Hotel in the 1950s:

Arizona Hotel in the 1930s:

Arizona Hotel in the 1920s

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 06-29-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 03:43 PM

The Arizona Hotel was demolished in the late '60s or early '70s to make way for the city parking garage. The Donofrio family who owned property in the same block challenged the condemnation on the ground that state law did not authorize the use of eminent domain to acquire property for a parking garage. They lost.

Last edited by Applegate8; 06-29-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 PM

811 posts, read 621,945 times
Searched "Sugar Shack" on this site; can't believe no one has mentioned it! On Transmission Blvd (Now University) East of 48th St. Used to drive by all of the time when my mom worked for Culligan Water in the '60's.
Remember when the stock yards were at 48th St and Washington? We lived near Hardy and University and when the wind was blowing South the unmistakable aroma wafted in.

I actually miss that.

BTW: Was the restaurant on the SE corner of University and Mill in the 60's the Peppermill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area