Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,375 times

Advertisements

Heat makes people crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I tend to agree. I can't imagine why anybody here on a business trip would want to venture out on a mountain trail knowing how dangerously hot it is, especially when there are more city oriented things available which are mostly indoors. Also, I recently spent more than a week in northern AZ, and I found some great out of the way hiking spots north of Flagstaff that were shady, green, and moist from all the rain. Much more pleasant, and better views than anything around the Phoenix area!

I really don't care if they're locals or not. Common sense should dictate that it's not very smart or safe to hike in the extreme heat, regardless of where they're from. If they can't grasp this basic common sense, then they're on their own as far as I'm concerned. We shouldn't be wasting our tax dollars and paramedics' valuable time to rescue them from their self inflicted predicaments.
I don't think it's ever a waste of money to save a person's life.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:22 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
So many inactive people want to call others “stupid” for hiking outdoors. More than likely these are people who have hiked many times before during the heat, without incident. Sometimes the heat can sneak up and overwhelm someone even if they’ve had no issues before. Stop being so judgmental and realize that accidents do happen. Hiking injuries can happen at any time of the year and people have had to be rescued from the trails in March due to the “heat.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
I agree with OP that these hikers are morons but I bet the vast majority are not Phoenix locals. They're mostly tourists from Canada and the midwest. I personally enjoy hiking in the summer when the trails are less crowded. I wear a long sleeved shirt, a hat, and take more than enough water. Nothing more frustrating than trying to hike a crowded trail with unfit slow pokes in front of you. It's like waiting in line at the grocery store.
You’re making stuff up. No one keeps statistics on where rescued hikers live.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:55 PM

770 posts, read 838,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Yeah, and I'll bet 99 % of the hikers in the summer up Camelback are locals. Not that it couldn't happen to those uninformed Canadians and Midwesterners.
Or just transplants who run around chanting how awesome it because you can't shovel the heat.

On a related note a few years ago some stupid tourists from Alaska thought it would be genius to hike South Mountain in the summer with limited water. They bmhiked one of the kids to death.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:56 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme Mann View Post
"inactive people".. you assume we never hike? I hike in Phoenix 5 times a week from November to February, when it gets hot I go elsewhere.
I think the point he is trying to make is that calling others "stupid" for hiking in the Summer is a bit short sighted. Just because YOU may not be able to handle physical activity in the heat doesn't mean others are in the same boat. I am very active in the heat, you simply need to drink A LOT more water. I used to hike the mountains in the Summer when I was in my 20's, no problem. I also played Division 1 football and wore pads and helmets and ran in the heat. People die from overexerting themselves when they don't take proper care to hydrate, are out of shape or have a preexisting condition. There's also those that are in great shape and can still exercise outside in the heat after taking proper steps to make sure they don't dehydrate and take enough breaks. Just because one inexperienced surfer drowns while surfing the Wedge in Newport, doesn't mean it shouldn't be surfed at all

Old 07-23-2018, 03:02 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
So many inactive people want to call others “stupid” for hiking outdoors. More than likely these are people who have hiked many times before during the heat, without incident. Sometimes the heat can sneak up and overwhelm someone even if they’ve had no issues before. Stop being so judgmental and realize that accidents do happen. Hiking injuries can happen at any time of the year and people have had to be rescued from the trails in March due to the “heat.”
Wow, talk about judgmental. You're ASSuming that those of us who rightfully call others stupid for hiking in the heat are "inactive". I spent over a week in northern AZ where I found some out of the way hiking spots that were cool, peaceful, green, and not a soul around. There's a huge difference between hiking in a forested area where the temperatures are in the 70s vs. a hot desert environment where temps easily exceed 110 degrees.

I know my limits, but it's too bad others don't have the same common sense. Also too bad that some people can't find better things to do in a large metro area besides push their bodies to the limits on a hiking trail in extreme heat, and then expect our tax money to pay for rescuing their overheated bodies. I'd rather have paramedics tend to REAL emergencies instead of all these morons whose injuries & illnesses are purely self inflicted.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:20 PM

369 posts, read 325,853 times
When given lemons,
This thread sounds like an opportunity for someone to start a desert survival course, complete with labs and finals. Locals and snowbirds alike would beat your door down with the proper marketing. Now back to that cool dark bar on Scottsdale road.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:52 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,900,469 times
I feel sorry for the people who ended up needing to be rescued due to heat illness because I've 'been there, done that' in regards to heat-related illness and it's no fun. When I first moved from Upstate NY to South Carolina (in late May), I way overestimated just how much physical exertion I could do in weather that was right around 90F and very humid :: I was in a hurry to haul in everything from the U-Haul truck so my dad wouldn't have to when he got home. I remember the cramping muscle pains, then nausea, dizziness, racing heart then waking up in a hospital. The heat is nothing to play around with, especially if you are not acclimated to it. I had gone from temperatures in the mid 60's to ones near 90 and had heatstroke but luckily it was recognized and I was rushed to the ER.

Maybe the people that went climbing felt they were used to the heat in Phoenix. Perhaps if they were not from the area, they thought that it would be okay since it was a DRY heat. Mountains always look smaller when you aren't climbing up them in either very hot/very cold weather. I've never climbed one in extreme heat but I've climbed when it's been cold and the exertion involved heats one up to the point I didn't feel cold anymore. Then of course all of us are guilty at one point or another of overestimating our physical prowess or our own immortality Climbing mountains in 110F+ weather tests that theory of immortality I tested that theory on a small craft on Lake Ontario years ago when it was whitecapping BEFORE I took the craft out. I didn't get rescue but I learned my lesson after nearly capsizing multiple times and getting up close and personal with the storm. I don't think we should be so harsh on the people who needed rescue.

I also agree with the posters who talk about varying individual tolerance to environmental extremes. Someone who exercises daily in Phoenix's heat likely will not have too much of an issue as long as they don't get dehydrated or do anything really goofy. Kind of similar to the phenomena I see here when people from Florida have come up and are wearing a sweater when it's 65-70F here

I'm glad that there were no serious casualties from the heat and the rescuers themselves didn't have a problem. Hopefully the people involved won't repeat it.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:16 PM

872 posts, read 1,000,375 times
I've been through many summers and have been outside for extended periods of time. I have not hiked however and would never think because I live here that I am "acclimated" to it. You may be less shocked when it's very hot because you adapt but I don't believe you are ever acclimated to the point you could do the same activities you could do when it's 65 degrees.

Just because you have done it before does not mean you are immune ever year. The heat and sun do not care about your age, weight, height, body type, etc.

I think what is stupid is going during the peak day. Nothing wrong with hiking during the summer as long as it's when the sun is weak and/or down.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:20 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
It really just boils down to using some common sense. Start out slow to figure out what your body can tolerate. Take lots of water and drink it... don't wait until you're parched. Take a couple of snacks.

When I was younger I hiked and biked in the summer, up to temps of 102-103. I learned what my body could handle. Drank lots and lots of water. On a long ride I'd take a Camelback water carrier plus two one-liter bottles. Drank all that, refilled them and then did it all over again I've seen people marching up the local peaks carrying nothing but a tiny water bottle... like 6-8 oz. That's crazy any time of the year, and dangerous in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area