Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:09 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times

Advertisements

you guys hit it right on the head; humidity is over 50% again today..
does all that heavy rain that has happened in the north woods benefit us in the valley at all, or do all the benefits just stay up north? I assume all that rain/water eventually makes its way south, but, being new out here, I dont know that stuff yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 10:35 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
does all that heavy rain that has happened in the north woods benefit us in the valley at all, or do all the benefits just stay up north? I assume all that rain/water eventually makes its way south, but, being new out here, I dont know that stuff yet
It mostly benefits the areas that are getting the rain, but the creeks and washes do tend to fill up (only temporarily) after a heavy rain. The summer monsoon is more beneficial to the high country, largely because it puts a damper on the fire season. Late May to early July is so dry that any kind of spark can set off a raging inferno, but when the thunderstorms move in, the risk for forest fires is reduced.

I've said time and time again that the winter precipitation season is what really matters in Arizona, and that affects the entire state as far as water supplies are concerned. When we have a warm, dry winter like this past one, there is very little snowpack in the high country, which translates to little spring runoff, and that means the reservoir/lake levels are substantially reduced. Winters with normal or above normal precipitation often mean a reduced fire risk in the late spring/early summer because the ground is still somewhat moist. In the Phoenix area, dry winters usually translate to increased water usage, and worse air quality. Wet winters often mean soaking rains that reduce water demand, as well as wash out the pollutants.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:43 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
The summer rains don't really add up to much in terms of our water supply. They are too scattered. Winter snow pack does. Northeastern Arizona drains to the Salt River and that is a major source of our water. Flagstaff area and places north of the Rim drain north to the Colorado River, so it helps but most of the Colorado R water comes from Colorado. Either way, we do see benefits.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:22 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
I have enjoyed summer thus far, but I had to say that today, there were more than a handful of idiotic drivers or drivers who had irrational road rage.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
probably has something to do with so many people having storm related stress/house/property damage..
makes the crazy drivers even crazier..

Old 08-10-2018, 01:37 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just an observation -- some people are being a bit snarky about the foolishness of "outsiders" hiking during the hot summer weather...but are breaking one of the most basic rules of hiking -- don't hike alone.
Really? So if you don't have a supporting partner and your friends are not ready for spontaneous hiking tours, you should just stay at home and be a couch potato?

I have climbed Germany's highest mountain all alone, and I am still alive and well.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:00 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Really? So if you don't have a supporting partner and your friends are not ready for spontaneous hiking tours, you should just stay at home and be a couch potato?

I have climbed Germany's highest mountain all alone, and I am still alive and well.
Did you do it when it was 115 in the shade?

Old 08-10-2018, 09:49 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,735 times
Quote:

Newsflash: That doesn't, shouldn't and will never eliminate basic rules of hiking, just because there happen to be egotistical, rogue hikers who "have climbed the highest mountain all alone" -- and are "still alive and well". Most hikers don't need to pretend they're Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:59 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:

Lets make it 115 degrees in Germany, accompanied by super dry air that dehydrates you in no time, and see how you fare then. Oh, throw in rattlesnakes, too, for good measure.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:55 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Lets make it 115 degrees in Germany, accompanied by super dry air that dehydrates you in no time, and see how you fare then. Oh, throw in rattlesnakes, too, for good measure.
Yep, I heard that just last week a man wandered off into the preserves in the intense heat and died right on the spot. By the time paramedics were called in, it was already too late to save him. I know this sounds cruel, but it really served him right. Anybody who is so ignorant to not realize his/her own limitations, and not understand the seriousness of our intense summer heat doesn't deserve to be rescued. It all comes down to survival of the fittest, and paramedics can't be babysitters or lifesavers for all the ones who create their own dilemmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area