Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:34 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Just an observation -- some people are being a bit snarky about the foolishness of "outsiders" hiking during the hot summer weather...but are breaking one of the most basic rules of hiking -- don't hike alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
here's another likely example...too early to tell who it was..

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ent/910769002/

Old 08-05-2018, 07:06 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
here's another likely example...too early to tell who it was..

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ent/910769002/
Today was not the day for taking a hike in the desert. It was obscene hot out there. Tomorrow will be worse.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:10 PM

agree; it was hard just walking the dog at 7 am, as it was already 99 degrees..can't imagine why anyone, aside from a pro athlete or triathlete pro would even consider hiking on days like this..and, to make it worse, when they get into trouble, as they most likely will, our first responders have to go and risk their lives to save these idiots..

Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
agree; it was hard just walking the dog at 7 am, as it was already 99 degrees..can't imagine why anyone, aside from a pro athlete or triathlete pro would even consider hiking on days like this..and, to make it worse, when they get into trouble, as they most likely will, our first responders have to go and risk their lives to save these idiots..
Yep! More than once Ive seen people being hauled off the mountains. The poor responders look miserable. They have 3 guys on each side of this bizarre one-wheeled stretcher, one holding the fluids, and two to three others to alternate and share the work load. All because people didn't bring enough water, or think they could handle the heat.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:21 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Most of us who do go are out way earlier than 7am, I’m actually done by 7 as I need to be to work by 8. The drier air actually caused our temps to tick down a few degrees this morning from where it had been, my watch tracks temps throughout all activities and today was the lowest readings out of the last 7 days.

If you know what you’re doing it’s fine to be out at the right time of day but with the exception of a few rare cases we usually hear of things going wrong when people made some really bad decisions, nobody should be out there from 10-5pm right now, it’s just too dang hot and how that’s not abundantly clear is beyond me.

I feel bad this still happens but we have signs at trail heads, weather warnings on the news and mobile phones, I don’t know what else can be done? We can’t realistically place guards at every trail head to prevent people from heading in when it’s over 100 out, just like they can’t do the same in cold climates where people face frost bite, falling through frozen lakes, and worse... it’s just the reality of nature’s power.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:49 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,221,309 times
When I was in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates with the military, I noticed that I never saw many local people out in the heat of the day. Most seemed to come out after sundown when it was cooler. Guess they have more sense than us.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:35 PM

The humidity fell back to around 11% in the late afternoon, and even though it was 110, it felt so much better than it has felt; either way, I couldn't imagine hiking at these temps..

Old 08-07-2018, 07:05 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
The humidity fell back to around 11% in the late afternoon, and even though it was 110, it felt so much better than it has felt; either way, I couldn't imagine hiking at these temps..
It'll be kicking back up again starting tomorrow, there's a disturbance off the West coast of Mexico that is still too far to predict an exact path but generally heading North. When hurricane remnants push our way things can get really interesting.

I'll never forget the one in 2014 that dropped something like 5" of rain in 24 hours and completely submerged large sections of I-10.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...back/31563463/

I doubt we'll see anything like that but I do keep an eye out for organized Pacific Storms heading North off of the Baja Mexico coast. With the Pacific Waters starting to warm for the impending El Nino this winter it could get a bit more interesting.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:36 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It'll be kicking back up again starting tomorrow, there's a disturbance off the West coast of Mexico that is still too far to predict an exact path but generally heading North. When hurricane remnants push our way things can get really interesting.

I'll never forget the one in 2014 that dropped something like 5" of rain in 24 hours and completely submerged large sections of I-10.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...back/31563463/

I doubt we'll see anything like that but I do keep an eye out for organized Pacific Storms heading North off of the Baja Mexico coast. With the Pacific Waters starting to warm for the impending El Nino this winter it could get a bit more interesting.
"The 2018 Pacific hurricane season is an ongoing event in the annual cycle of tropical cyclone formation. The season officially began on May 15 in the eastern Pacific, and on June 1 in the central Pacific; they will both end on November 30. ... The first named storm of the season, Hurricane Aletta, formed on June 6."

Yep. When Pacific hurricanes ramp up, that can mean much good news for the Southwest, and Arizona has been the beneficiary of many. Stay tuned. We may once again be on the edge of wetness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area