Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 02:11 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Yes, the education should be on the signage: HIKE AT YOUR OWN RISK, PARAMEDICS NOT ON DUTY. SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST BEGINS AT THIS POINT. It's basically the same concept if you use the pool at a fitness center ... there are signs that say: SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK, NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY. Also, do you really believe closing the trails will be all that effective? The same bozos can easily maneuver around the closures, and then we're back to the same old situation.
Derp Derp. You're right, it should be the same as no lifeguard on duty signs. In those cases you are instructed to call 911. Same as when the lifeguard leaves a public beach, they drive by and make an announcement that you are swimming at your own risk and to call 911. Just because you can't hack it in the heat doesn't mean others are in the same shape as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 792 times
its sad that some people fail to put their health and life first before hobby.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:48 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times
Just something I always curious that is slightly off topic here, I been to Phoenix several times as well as other hot desert cities in Arizona. I am shocked by the lack of shade in these cities. As there are no trees and very few buildings overhangs that provide shade outside the air conditioned space. Interesting why they don’t build more of those parking lot overhangs like what we can find in parts of Mexico and increasingly in west coast as well.

Like these
https://powerparasol.com/portfolio/l...ery/thumbnails
This can make a big difference in customer comfort for those who make a trip to the supermarket in a hot summer day.

And interestingly despite how much conveniences and gadgets car makers put into modern cars these days and improvement in automatic climate controls, there are almost no improvement in the age old issue of keeping parked car interiors cool. I mean we can have tops that reflect heat, automatic fans that exchange air between inside and outside based on temperatures, automatic shades across all windows, and another technology that can implemented with idle stop tech especially with electric and hybrid cars, a/c that operate sporadically even with the motor off for short, all these are inexpensive compared to other fancy gadgets introduced to vehicles these days but can make a 30f degree difference.

As for hikers, I just cannot understand why people hike in such high uncomfortable temperatures in the first place. I guess for those who spent a lot of money getting to Arizona they probably want to get their money’s worth.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:10 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
I’ll just leave this timely link here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cronkit...orist-law/amp/

Old 07-25-2018, 10:44 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I’ll just leave this timely link here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cronkit...orist-law/amp/
That's government

Making laws and not enforcing them

Old 07-25-2018, 11:11 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Derp Derp. You're right, it should be the same as no lifeguard on duty signs. In those cases you are instructed to call 911. Same as when the lifeguard leaves a public beach, they drive by and make an announcement that you are swimming at your own risk and to call 911. Just because you can't hack it in the heat doesn't mean others are in the same shape as you.
Obviously, those who exert themselves in the heat and need to be rescued are the ones who are out of shape & can't hack it. The difference is: at least I know my limits, but others apparently don't have the stamina or common sense. I enjoy hiking as much as the next person, but I'm not about to do anything so strenuous & stupid in this blast furnace heat. This is why I frequently vacation in Arizona's high country or Colorado during the summer. The so called "mountains" & "hiking trails" around the Phoenix area can't hold a candle to the wilderness & and majestic beauty of the White Mountains or Rockies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Just something I always curious that is slightly off topic here, I been to Phoenix several times as well as other hot desert cities in Arizona. I am shocked by the lack of shade in these cities. As there are no trees and very few buildings overhangs that provide shade outside the air conditioned space. Interesting why they don’t build more of those parking lot overhangs like what we can find in parts of Mexico and increasingly in west coast as well.
A big reason for this is the almighty dollar. Shade trees and the water & maintenance they require can be expensive ... at least this is what the excuse often is. So what we get instead is a bunch of developments with rock/gravel yards, and little or no shade & hardly any greenery, which adds even more heat. Another reason could be the transplants from colder climates who actually worship the sun & claim to not mind the heat. They don't give much thought to shade, greenery, or anything more aesthetically pleasing.

Quote:
As for hikers, I just cannot understand why people hike in such high uncomfortable temperatures in the first place. I guess for those who spent a lot of money getting to Arizona they probably want to get their money’s worth.
I don't get it either, but a good share of them seem to be the bottom feeders with entitlement attitudes, but not much going on upstairs.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:30 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
A big reason for this is the almighty dollar. Shade trees and the water & maintenance they require can be expensive ... at least this is what the excuse often is. So what we get instead is a bunch of developments with rock/gravel yards, and little or no shade & hardly any greenery, which adds even more heat.
Yes, commercial areas won't put any extra effort into trees. They'll just do the minimum specified by local code. Kind of a joke seeing trees planted in tiny little square of dirt in the middle of a huge asphalt parking lot. They'll never grow to any size in such conditions. Honestly, I'd rather have some covered parking and/or a covered walkway leading into the retail or office entrance. There are a couple of grocery stores in Chandler that have covered parking, FWIW.

We have some 30-40 year old pecan trees on our own property. They sure are messy, but the shade they provide makes a huge difference in the summer.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:42 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times
https://www.absoluterv.com/help-and-...-parking-lots/

Overhangs are much better than trees which are very limited in where they can be planted and the shade they provide is at the mercy of where the sun is aimed. In addition they make a mess on the ground sometimes of leaves, juices, and sometimes bird poop. And some overhangs can produce power for the establishment and electric car charging.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:10 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Absolutely right...no trees in Phoenix...

Old 07-25-2018, 02:14 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times
Quote:
In addition they make a mess on the ground sometimes of leaves, juices, and sometimes bird poop.

OH, the humanity!

It's not as though solar covers aren't being used. One example:

https://www.dysart.org/sites/default.aspx?pgid=534
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area