Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:06 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
We don't have to defend anything, it is what we like. I've lived in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, to name a few and you can take the heat and humidity and give me 109° with 10% or less humidity, thank you. Also, like mentioned before, there really isn't a state like Arizona were you can "cook your lunch on the sidewalk" and freeze your water bottle on the balcony later that night, LOL! (Almost) all while only having to drive 45 minutes to 1.5 hours.
Its not the heat...its the length of time. I have to shake my head. I cannot imagine having to go through 3 straight months of 100 plus degrees and SIX months of 90 plus .....wow. Enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:09 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Its not the heat...its the length of time. I have to shake my head. I cannot imagine having to go through 3 straight months of 100 plus degrees and SIX months of 90 plus .....wow. Enjoy
I will thoroughly enjoy! Thanks...All in all , it is about 5 months of both 100 plus and 90 degree weather all together. The other 7 months are paradise to everyone else in the world, LOL! Those months of 90° weather however, have fabulous evenings, nights, and mornings.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,794 times
"I cannot imagine having to go through 3 straight months of 100 plus degrees and SIX months of 90 plus"

Well, June, July and August do average above 100 degrees daily. But May and September are the only two months that average in the 90 degree range. You might be surprised to learn that 5 months average below 80 degrees and zero months average below 66 degrees.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:50 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"Simular to the escape to flagstaff, you can catch a flight to Vegas for 79 bucks if you wanna catch some Sunshine. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Phoenix and it is my absolute 2nd choice for a place to live in the USA."

Let's see, $79 each way...plus taxes and fees...plus hotel...plus rental car... is going to be over $200 for one person. If you're talking a family of four, well, that's a lot of money. And that's if your airplane doesn't get grounded from the weather.
A trip to the mountains can be really inexpensive, and can even be a day trip (you know what I'm talking about--you're from Seattle).
yeah, I think your probalby right. I kinda sounded like a travel agent there for a second lol. We are having kind of a heat wave here too in Seattle, its getting around 90 degrees, now add a little humidity, and thats getting on the uncomfortable side. Plus, if you live in an apartment, as I do, because Im waiting on home prices to dip a little more, then you have to suffer due to the fact that there doesnt seem to be AC here in WA in older homes or APTS, and most better APTs dont allow for the window AC. You just have to wait it out. I was cooler at home in AZ, I have to go outside to cool off.

I kinda guess the Valley would be hot this year down there, as our spring down there didnt last long. We were over 100 in the middle of May. felt like we got robbed. You wait for the heat to go away for 5 months (6 months) and you damn well better get your full 6 months worth of 72 degree weather.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,794 times
But our June was the coolest June since 1913 (or some such year).

Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
yeah, I think your probalby right. I kinda sounded like a travel agent there for a second lol. We are having kind of a heat wave here too in Seattle, its getting around 90 degrees, now add a little humidity, and thats getting on the uncomfortable side. Plus, if you live in an apartment, as I do, because Im waiting on home prices to dip a little more, then you have to suffer due to the fact that there doesnt seem to be AC here in WA in older homes or APTS, and most better APTs dont allow for the window AC. You just have to wait it out. I was cooler at home in AZ, I have to go outside to cool off.

I kinda guess the Valley would be hot this year down there, as our spring down there didnt last long. We were over 100 in the middle of May. felt like we got robbed. You wait for the heat to go away for 5 months (6 months) and you damn well better get your full 6 months worth of 72 degree weather.
90° weather in Seattle sucks! It just seems so much more humid. Add to that the fact that many houses and buildings do not have AC. I think it was after my sophomore year in high school, 1996...maybe 1995...when I lived in the Seattle area, we had a heat wave with record highs in the 90's! We did not have AC and it was miserable. The humidity from the Sound was just killer! Seattle was NOT meant for 90° temps.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We recently completed a log home in Sitka, Alaska. Starting in 2010, we will spend the months of May, June, July and August (and maybe parts of Sept) in Sitka - and the rest of the year in Arizona.

We are going up to Sitka in a few days and where the Highs are running around 60 degrees v 115!
Welcome Greatday...we are going from that in a few weeks to 115...amen...I am so tired of living in snow and no summer...you will have summer in winter, and winter in summer

Old 07-18-2009, 09:17 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
90° weather in Seattle sucks! It just seems so much more humid. Add to that the fact that many houses and buildings do not have AC. I think it was after my sophomore year in high school, 1996...maybe 1995...when I lived in the Seattle area, we had a heat wave with record highs in the 90's! We did not have AC and it was miserable. The humidity from the Sound was just killer! Seattle was NOT meant for 90° temps.
Right you are, thank goodness it doesnt get to 90 that often. As you propbably know the warm season usually only lasts about 5-6 weeks anyway here in Western Wa.

When I was a citizen of Gilbert, I remember the humidity in August, add that to plus 100 degree sunshine 17 hours a day, and that was just terrible. You folks that live in Houston would just call it a normal day.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:22 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
117 degrees all afternoon and then there's this:

http://i.azcentral.com/i/sized/6/A/6...1651D816A6.jpg

This is not a file photo. It was taken in Avondale yesterday. The air is still so full of dust and whatnot that I can barely see the nearby mountains. What a place!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:38 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
yeah, it was really whipping last night blowing dust everywhere ....... my youngest dog was tweaking out at the windows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area