Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Oy...there is something called a heat index that tells you the comfort of the air. 110 is 110 no matter how you slice it. As for NC winters, its cool but wonderful here in winter. Yep cold (heaven forbid) but pleasant without snowstorms. Guys, no matter, i did not come here to argue where is better and I apologize if I ruffled feathers. Was not my intent. Its all in what you like to handle that counts. If you guys truly like the heat then that is good. Hey if you guys ever want to REALLY ruffle feathers, go on a Northeast or upper midwest forum and tell them how much their winters suck.
Bah!! Heat index is worthless as anyone who has experienced enough places and combinations of heat and humidity can tell you. Heat index of 105 in Oklahoma where I have property and visit is orders of magnitude more uncomfortable than a heat index of 105 in Phoenix as far as I am concerned. If the dewpoint is over 50 it is uncomfortable, IMO. 60+ is torture and I can't imagine 70 and higher which coastal areas of the SE get. Dew point is the only comfort indicator I pay much attention to. Here's the misery map: http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con_dewp.html (broken link)

I believe few would argue that the heat we have been experiencing in the last week or so in PHX is pleasant or that they would like to see it continue unabated. On the other hand, most people living here would agree that the "bad" heat here does not run much longer than July-Sep with the rest of the year having temps that are decent much if not all of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,222,719 times
I will agree that 100 in AZ feels much nicer than 90 back east, but would add that 112 in AZ has it's own reasons for being ghastly when it hits. I could still get in my car without 3rd degree burns when living back east in the middle of summer. A far more difficult thing to do in Phoenix in late July/early August.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,324,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Oy...there is something called a heat index that tells you the comfort of the air. 110 is 110 no matter how you slice it.
Actually, this isn't true. The heat index is an approximation and a subjective reading at best. It's not based on any objective criteria. What is objective is the body's ability to cool itself and when one is exposed to high humidity, the body's ability to cool itself is impaired due to the diminished evaporative cooling effect of perspiration. When you add heat (90 degree temps) and 75% humidity which is found on the East Coast, you are talking about a deadly combination. There were no heat related deaths among high school, college and professional athletes in the Phoenix metropolitan area because despite our heat, the lack of humidity allows for our bodies to cool down through convective means. However, you do read about head related deaths among athletes in other states with much lower temperatures in the summer.

Our summers are not pleasant when it reaches 115 degrees however we think of this as our version of winter because our winters are perfect. And if I had to choose between even 30 degrees versus 115, I'll take 115. Heat might be annoying but it doesn't really disrupt your life like cold does. I don't have to leave my car running before I get in it. I don't have to worry about scraping snow or ice off my windshield. I don't worry about driving on ice. I don't have to take 2-3 times as long to get my kids ready in the morning because I'm having to layer them every time we go out. I don't fear my flight being cancelled because there is too much ice on the runway at Sky Harbor or that they have too much ice on the wings or that planes can't land because there is ice and snow on the runways. I don't have to worry about carrying around a big coat wherever I go and more importantly I don't have to worry about checking in my coat at a restaurant. In our summers, our mornings and evenings are nice. In winters, the weather gets worse in the mornings and evenings. When I come home from work in the evening, the weather improves here. When you come home in the winter, the weather gets worse. When it gets hot in the evening, I can jump in my pool, when it gets cold in your evening, you can't jump into a pit of fire. I could go on but the point is as uncomfortable as heat is, it doesn't really disrupt your life. And before you respond with "Well I can just bundle up and engage in outdoor activities" likewise we can do the same if you have cold drinks, loose clothing and some shade. People still play golf when it's 115 outside because they have hats and an ice chest with cold drinks. I play tennis in 110 all the time and it's not that bad when it's not humid and you have towels and cold drinks nearby. There is no way I'm playing tennis in 30 or even 40 degree weather regardless of how many layers I have to wear.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-20-2009 at 12:48 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM

294 posts, read 782,989 times
I have lived though two summers in Phoenix. Lived in Atlanta, Orlando, Dallas, Charlotte and New England. Phoenix was the worst heat to deal with by far. Only beacuse the heat seemed to never end. The sun was just too strong. The southeast does have days with unbearable temps but they last for a much shorter period of time. Especially ATL and Charlotte. Orlando was second worse and Dallas third, weather wise.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:40 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,754,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There were no heat related deaths among high school, college and professional athletes in the Phoenix metropolitan area because despite our heat, the lack of humidity allows for our bodies to cool down through convective means. However, you do read about head related deaths among athletes in other states with much lower temperatures in the summer.
In September of 1988, Shadow Mountain High School football player Abduul Reed collapsed and died during a practice. An autopsy revealed that the cause of death was dehydration and elevated body temperature. Reed was the stepson of Brooklyn Dodgers pitching great Joe Black. PVUSD subsequently altered its policies governing outdoor athletic practices by mandating water breaks, screening weather conditions, and distributing informational pamphlets on heat-related sports injuries.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,248,663 times
thanks pb ... people die everywhere because of heat ..... it wasn't that many summers ago where the # of people dying here was pretty big news

in phoenix it may be less of an occurence because the city is built to deal with the heat and those that live here

when I was in philly there was a heatwave and a lot of people died ..... it wasn't due to the humidity, it was living in places without AC, etc ...... they weren't able to get out of the elements

it's not like you're walking a block or two and immediately die

Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,248,663 times
it was 2005 ... once again those that died aren't those who are living in environments/situations that provide shelter and repreive

Phoenix Heat Wave Claims 13 Lives - CBS News

Quote:
A blistering heat wave is being blamed for the deaths of at least 13 people in Phoenix, prompting officials to ask for donations of ice and water bottles for those sweltering without air conditioning.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
In September of 1988, Shadow Mountain High School football player Abduul Reed collapsed and died during a practice. An autopsy revealed that the cause of death was dehydration and elevated body temperature. Reed was the stepson of Brooklyn Dodgers pitching great Joe Black. PVUSD subsequently altered its policies governing outdoor athletic practices by mandating water breaks, screening weather conditions, and distributing informational pamphlets on heat-related sports injuries.
And that was over 20 years ago. Provide me with a report in the last 4 years of an athlete dying in Arizona. I could provide you with a report of an athlete dying in another state with lower temperatures in the summer in the last 4 years. I just don't feel like googling it.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
it was 2005 ... once again those that died aren't those who are living in environments/situations that provide shelter and repreive

Yes, and you failed to provide that 11 of those 13 were homeless and the other 2 were elderly people whose home cooling system wasn't on. And elderly people die in other states for similar reasons. For one thing, the elderly are often hypovolemic due to altered mental status and a diminished sense of thirst so they often don't drink enough fluid to begin with. When you combine that with the fact their AC wasn't on, it's not difficult to understand why they died.

Most of the people who die of heat related illness like heat stroke die because of lack of fluid intake ie illegals crossing the desert.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

That incident seems more to prove the point azriverfan is making. ONLY 13 people die in temps that would kill hundreds anywhere else - 11 of them homeless, possibly addicts. It truly is remarkable how few heat related deaths and injuries we have here. I posted once a link (now lost) to a study that claimed heat (and cold) related injuries are due not to the absolute temperature but to the change from normal for an area. In other words, we are used to heat here and deal with it fairly well - even the homeless and the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area