Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydavis22 View Post
oh and with chicago being so close to the lake their temps are somewhat modified. However in st louis (where i grew up) temps are well into the 90 around july! not to mention that is also our second wettest month too! HUMIDITY AND HEAT! Its crazy what a few hours can do.
Im out about 35 miles West of Chicago, so the lake doesnt really affect us... we're hotter than Chicago in summer and colder in the winter. Were deep into July and I still havent run teh A/C once this month. PARTAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Let's reopen this thread in January and we will talk. Then we will see who has the better weather. This goes for both Las Vegas and/ or Phoenix compared to Chicago.
Well, I happen to love winter and the change that it brings, so therefore I automatically win.

j/k

Well, Im not kidding that I like winter, but most people prefer a warmer winter, so your side would win when this thread is opened in January. My fave time of year in the Valley is late September until early November. My dream weather place is San Diego, but having to live in CA kinda bugs me.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:12 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, I happen to love winter and the change that it brings, so therefore I automatically win.

j/k

Well, Im not kidding that I like winter, but most people prefer a warmer winter, so your side would win when this thread is opened in January. My fave time of year in the Valley is late September until early November. My dream weather place is San Diego, but having to live in CA kinda bugs me.
Just like you love the snow, I LOVE the heat. However, I am a snow and winter sport person as well. THIS is why ARIZONA suits me WELL. I can be in 70° weather in January in Phoenix, then head up to Snow Bowl or Sunrise and be skiing in 0° windchill climates, LOL! Best of both worlds!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:14 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
We recently completed a log home in Sitka, Alaska. Starting in 2010, we will spend the months of May, June, July and August (and maybe parts of Sept) in Sitka - and the rest of the year in Arizona.

We are going up to Sitka in a few days and where the Highs are running around 60 degrees v 115!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,106 times
I'm in ABQ, and we hit 99 the other day...I forgot to turn on the swamp cooler before I left for work. I have an indoor cat. I realized about 3:30 what I'd done, and zipped home expecting to find my cat dead of heatstroke.

Cat was fine - indoor temp was only about 80. Had this been in a humid climate like Tampa or Mobile, the indoor temps WOULD have been high enough to cause the cat serious distress. I had a cat suffer heat stroke in Dallas when the A/C went out in the evening.

Yep, I'll take dry heat any day

Old 07-17-2009, 03:02 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
it's not the day or two occurence here that makes the heat bad ... it's the constant assault by it

that is what drains people

just like when you go to seattle in the winter and get some rain - the amounts in the course of a day aren't that severe and the sun peaks out a little bit so you think it's not that bad ....... after a month or two of it all adds up
thats not a bad comparison. However, I still walk around in Seattle even when it rains. I can do anything when its cloudy. (Yes I live in Seattle). I also spent 2 years in phoenix. This OP, who is well intentioned, has just no Idea, as many of us who were new to Phoenix (Gilbert) were. Wait until its 100 every day for months before any of you say the heat isnt so bad. Everybody can take a few days over 100 degrees, after a month, you start looking at those real estate sites in other states. Of course, then eventually November hits. Everything is good, cool, but then soon enough its over 110 again. You cant do a damn thing in 115 degree weather. Not sure the sunblock was made for that. I would stay outa the pool until after dark. We were inside on our days off for 6 months. Here in Seattle, we go out when ever. I have lived in these clouds and rain for 22 years. Im got the sun bug out of me, thanks to the valley heat of phoenix.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:45 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,794 times
Quote:
thats not a bad comparison. However, I still walk around in Seattle even when it rains. I can do anything when its cloudy. (Yes I live in Seattle). I also spent 2 years in phoenix. This OP, who is well intentioned, has just no Idea, as many of us who were new to Phoenix (Gilbert) were. Wait until its 100 every day for months before any of you say the heat isnt so bad. Everybody can take a few days over 100 degrees, after a month, you start looking at those real estate sites in other states. Of course, then eventually November hits. Everything is good, cool, but then soon enough its over 110 again. You cant do a damn thing in 115 degree weather. Not sure the sunblock was made for that. I would stay outa the pool until after dark. We were inside on our days off for 6 months. Here in Seattle, we go out when ever. I have lived in these clouds and rain for 22 years. Im got the sun bug out of me, thanks to the valley heat of phoenix.
I can certainly see how someone from Seattle would have a hard time adjusting to a Phoenix summer. Just like someone from Phoenix would have a hard time adjusting to a North Dakota winter.

But I've been through plenty of southern Arizona summers, and never felt that was a reason to move. In fact, a job took me out of state for one year and I couldn't wait to get back!

Yes, it is hot in the summer, but that doesn't bother me. I guess I'm used to it and expect it.

I lived near Seattle for 7 years of my childhood, and I recall weeks on end of heavy rain--the Pineapple Express is what I think they called it because the moisture came from Hawaii. You couldn't do anything outside, because it was much too wet. I remember it knocking the power out many times--once for a week. My mom would get depressed from the lack of sunshine.

I think comparing Phoenix's summer to Seattle's wet-season is a fair comparision. Which would you prefer? I much prefer a summer in Phoenix.
Besides, it's a quick drive to Flagstaff or the White Mountains where one can enjoy a break from the heat whenever they want.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:58 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I can certainly see how someone from Seattle would have a hard time adjusting to a Phoenix summer. Just like someone from Phoenix would have a hard time adjusting to a North Dakota winter.

But I've been through plenty of southern Arizona summers, and never felt that was a reason to move. In fact, a job took me out of state for one year and I couldn't wait to get back!

Yes, it is hot in the summer, but that doesn't bother me. I guess I'm used to it and expect it.

I lived near Seattle for 7 years of my childhood, and I recall weeks on end of heavy rain--the Pineapple Express is what I think they called it because the moisture came from Hawaii. You couldn't do anything outside, because it was much too wet. I remember it knocking the power out many times--once for a week. My mom would get depressed from the lack of sunshine.

I think comparing Phoenix's summer to Seattle's wet-season is a fair comparision. Which would you prefer? I much prefer a summer in Phoenix.
Besides, it's a quick drive to Flagstaff or the White Mountains where one can enjoy a break from the heat whenever they want.
You guys are crazy/...living in the constant heat plain sucks and i am only in North Carolina...give me cold any day

Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post

Simular to the escape to flagstaff, you can catch a flight to Vegas for 79 bucks if you wanna catch some Sunshine. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Phoenix and it is my absolute 2nd choice for a place to live in the USA.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You guys are crazy/...living in the constant heat plain sucks and i am only in North Carolina...give me cold any day
It is not constant. It is only for a small part of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area