Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 08:05 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Ill agree it was gross. I changed my battery Saturday morning and sweat buckets in that humidity. I also changed a battery last June when my phone said it was still 106 degrees at night. I sweat buckets then, too. The nice thing about Saturday when the wind picked up it actually was a cool breeze and felt great, compared to the typical June hair dryer breezes we get.
I have other people change my batteries. We know you would rather do it yourself so you can have another reason to complain about the Valley.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:15 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I have other people change my batteries. We know you would rather do it yourself so you can have another reason to complain about the Valley.
I'm so shocked that it gets hot in the summer in Phoenix, if I had known before I moved there, I would neve r have moved there.

I've lived in places that I didn't end up liking that much, guess what I did...I moved.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:22 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
The vast, vast, vast majority of people who live here complain about the heat. Quit pretending like I'm the only one.

And how do you propose I have someone else change my battery when my car is dead in my lot, and the nearest auto parts store is miles away? And why pay money to do something that takes 5 minutes and is relatively easy to do?

Old 06-19-2018, 10:49 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
If Phoenix is that hot, why do so many move there?
Actually, most people who move here have failed to do even the most basic research about Arizona's heat, therefore they begin to hate it here (instead of their original decision). It won't be long before they move elsewhere or back where they came from.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Actually, most people who move here have failed to do even the most basic research about Arizona's heat, therefore they begin to hate it here (instead of their original decision). It won't be long before they move elsewhere or back where they came from.
Yet somehow we manage to grow 100,000 people per year, more than a few are sticking around, heat and all....

Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm so shocked that it gets hot in the summer in Phoenix, if I had known before I moved there, I would neve r have moved there.

I've lived in places that I didn't end up liking that much, guess what I did...I moved.
Gee why didn't I think of that? Well, first of all the Army sent me here - I didn't move on my own. It was fun once, back when Phoenix had a million or so people. It changes slowly, imperceptibly until one day you wake up and realize what an awful place it has become. But the biggest issue that you fail to consider is that once you have lived in an area for four decades you get "roots" that are hard to pull up. There are elderly in-laws who need care, children who were born here who are staring families with other children who were born here (the new AZ natives). Family members who have jobs and there a million friends and relatives in Phoenix. If only it were so easy. If you come and stay too long you will never be able to leave. And if you come as a young single man like I did and then marry a local, you might as well kiss wherever you came from good bye. It's not unique to AZ, of course. I have relatives who are stuck in miserable failing towns in the midwest too.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:16 PM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
Quote:

Hard to believe, but you are probably correct.

It is like moving to Alaska. It is an extreme climate. Not for the weak.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:31 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Gee why didn't I think of that? Well, first of all the Army sent me here - I didn't move on my own. It was fun once, back when Phoenix had a million or so people. It changes slowly, imperceptibly until one day you wake up and realize what an awful place it has become. But the biggest issue that you fail to consider is that once you have lived in an area for four decades you get "roots" that are hard to pull up. There are elderly in-laws who need care, children who were born here who are staring families with other children who were born here (the new AZ natives). Family members who have jobs and there a million friends and relatives in Phoenix. If only it were so easy. If you come and stay too long you will never be able to leave. And if you come as a young single man like I did and then marry a local, you might as well kiss wherever you came from good bye. It's not unique to AZ, of course. I have relatives who are stuck in miserable failing towns in the midwest too.
Fair enough and I can empathize with your view. My wife and I didn't like where we were and left, so that's the other alternative which you are correct that that negatively impacts family relationships. The other point I would make is that everywhere has its pros and cons so you have to choose wisely. People are voting for Phoenix with their feet like they have for decades so it must not be too bad.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
They come here with a rosy outlook because it's warm, sunny and less humid, and the heat doesn't seem to bother them very much at first. Then after a few summers, the heat becomes a little too much to handle & becomes quite monotonous, so that's when they think about moving on. Too bad they don't move here for more essential reasons. If I wanted to move somewhere strictly for the weather, I certainly wouldn't choose Phoenix.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The vast, vast, vast majority of people who live here complain about the heat. Quit pretending like I'm the only one.

And how do you propose I have someone else change my battery when my car is dead in my lot, and the nearest auto parts store is miles away? And why pay money to do something that takes 5 minutes and is relatively easy to do?
In your post you indicated that it was torture to change your battery in the heat but easy when it's 20 below. Now you are saying it took "5 minutes and is relatively easy to do." Which is it??

There are other methods to get one's batter changed. I use AAA, or you could hire someone, but if you did that you'd have less to complain about, and it seems like money is a huge concern for you. Many other places to live that are cheaper and the weather isn't as hot.

I was in Omaha for the past four days and for two or three of them it was 99 degrees an humid. It was similar in the place you love (Chicago). I didn't compare heat indices of Phoenix and Omaha/Chicago during those days. I was too busy enjoying life and the College World Series to even notice much. (Had a seat in the shade at the Greatest Show on Dirt!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area