Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 09:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Come 9 am, I pretty much close the doors, shut the blinds and drapes and sit in front of a fan and below another watching TV till bedtime. Repeat each day until October. Start again in May. But it's a great place to live.
That’s excessive.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,106 times
Ponderosa must be retired.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:53 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Ponderosa must be retired.
Oh yeah. My race is run.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:03 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear12 View Post
I'm new to AZ. People here live inside all summer. I noticed, as an outsider, that people here aren't tough at all. Most people live and work in ac. I have my ac set to 92 degrees so I can somewhat acclimate then it does not feel too hot when you're used to it...
92 degrees isn't a/c. That's heat. And I don't think most heaters even go that high, do they? Ours goes to 86. But, in AZ, just leave your a/c off in a 115 degree day and your place will be 92 degrees in no time.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:42 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
92 degrees isn't a/c. That's heat. And I don't think most heaters even go that high, do they? Ours goes to 86. But, in AZ, just leave your a/c off in a 115 degree day and your place will be 92 degrees in no time.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:10 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear12 View Post
I'm new to AZ. People here live inside all summer. I noticed, as an outsider, that people here aren't tough at all. Most people live and work in ac. I have my ac set to 92 degrees so I can somewhat acclimate then it does not feel too hot when you're used to it...
I think you are confusing "tough" with "stupid". If you have AC...why in the world would you set it to 92 if you didn't have to? This has nothing at all to do with "toughness". I spent my younger summers working outside in the heat...there is no way that I am going to try and "tough" that out again if I don't have to.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:00 PM

277 posts, read 276,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Could it be? Is it possible? With monsoon right around the corner, might we not get a 115+ day this year?
Yes it’s been a mild year both summer not being that hot and winter not being that cold

Old 06-30-2018, 12:00 PM
JYA

16 posts, read 12,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
Living in Southern California for 32 years and Northern Arizona for 17 years and I have visited Phoenix 8 times, this is my observation.
1. Many places in southenr California you actually drive through and fear for your life. You don't feel SAFE in some areas.
2. If you live within 20 miles from the coast, you do get FOG and the closer you are to the ocean, the foggier it becomes until the sun burns it off.
3. Southern California gets smog unless you are near the ocean.
4. Southern California has lots and lots of crime. I know, I lived there. Many gangs, they steal cars.
5. Southern California has mucho, mucho, traffic and it is a concrete jungle.

If any of you have been to downtown Los Angeles, you will know what I am talking about. I was in downtown Phoenix and I was waiting to drive in the parts where you see prostitutes, homeless people, druggies, shady looking characteres, walking the streets. Downtown Phoenix is like driving in some of the very good parts of Los Angeles. I never felt frightened for my life driving the streets of Phoenix, like I have Los Angeles. The very good parts of Los Angeles, a 3 bedroom house will cost you close to a million dollars.
Since I am not a city person, I have chose to live in Northern Arizona, in smaller cities.
You will find Arizona has the friendliest people of all of the United States.

I like the dry weather. I cannot tolerate humidity.
Do you have an opinion about cost of living in Southern California vs Phoenix Arizona? Someone told me that it will come out about the same for a 2 Bedroom apartment because of the cost of running the air conditioning constantly in Arizona. They said if you pay $1600 or so for a 2 bedroom in San Diego and rarely use air conditioning then it's equal to Phoenix Arizona with $1000+ for a 2 Bedroom and electric bill of $500 per month. I'm just trying to get feedback is there any truth to this theory?

Old 06-30-2018, 04:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYA View Post
Do you have an opinion about cost of living in Southern California vs Phoenix Arizona? Someone told me that it will come out about the same for a 2 Bedroom apartment because of the cost of running the air conditioning constantly in Arizona. They said if you pay $1600 or so for a 2 bedroom in San Diego and rarely use air conditioning then it's equal to Phoenix Arizona with $1000+ for a 2 Bedroom and electric bill of $500 per month. I'm just trying to get feedback is there any truth to this theory?
The math is wrong. I've never lived in an apartment in Phoenix, have lived in 3 different single family homes here since the 70s and have had an electric bill that reached $500 only a couple of times. It would be less in an apartment and would go down considerably during the winter months.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:55 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYA View Post
Nope...now this is years ago when we lived in a few apartments...but I NEVER had a $500 electric bill. $200-$300 in the Summer? Sure. $500 year round? Nope. When I was single, 2-3 adult males with multiple computers, TVs, A/C, etc. The only time I have hit a $500 electric bill is normally July in our present house. 2-Story, dual A/C, pool, 2 teenagers, I work from home...you get the picture.

Is it a bargain living in Phoenix compared to CA at this point? Marginally...taxes, fuel, rent/real estate is less expensive but you will spend more in electricity costs, our tap water is horrible and (arguably) your car insurance is going to go up or stay the same, depending on where you lived in CA. If you are moving for CoL at this point I would say the summer heat is the deciding factor. Now if you own a home in CA for longer than 10 years and you are cashing out at 200% your purchase price...enabling you to buy a home in AZ for cash or minimal mortgage payments...then it may make sense. This is partly why my wife and I have been saying CA would be doable if we didn't have to deal with the loony politicians and insane regulations/laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area