Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 02:11 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Could it be? Is it possible? With monsoon right around the corner, might we not get a 115+ day this year?
It's possible, but not certain. June's highest official temperature was 111 degrees, and the forecast is for temps to reach that level or higher by next weekend. Remember that July and August can often have the hottest maximum temps of the year, especially if the monsoon isn't very active, or if we get breaks in the monsoon with intense high pressure ridges right over us.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's possible, but not certain. June's highest official temperature was 111 degrees, and the forecast is for temps to reach that level or higher by next weekend. Remember that July and August can often have the hottest maximum temps of the year, especially if the monsoon isn't very active, or if we get breaks in the monsoon with intense high pressure ridges right over us.
I heard 114 is in the forecast for Friday, so we are getting close to that 115 mark. I have Friday off so I'll be in the pool.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:31 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,222 times
Weather Channel is predicting an active monsoon starting this month. Very busy pacific storm season

Now it could be busy for Tucson but who knows about the Valley

Old 07-02-2018, 11:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Usually by now I notice an increasing level of humidity, especially in the early morning hours, relatively consistently. This year there has only been one morning where I stepped outside and felt muggy.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:10 PM

Heard the cicadas again this afternoon!! It's coming!! We normally go through a little heat wave or big one like last year before the monsoon moisture rolls in (not necessarily rain )

On the topic--Many people either love or hate the heat.

I met a girl at the bank when I was in Boston and I told her the temp when I left was 111 and she said ohhhh, I love that. I asked my dad how it was coming back from Boston trip to the AZ heat. You know that point when you walk around the air conditioned airport and walk through the sliding doors after getting your bags and BOOM. That hot air just hits you in the face. Yeah, he loved it. which I am surprised by, but I think it's cuz of the low low humidity that it does not seem to bother him. I think the harsh winters bothered him more and the hot humid days of CT did too. It's a nice change for a lot of people-if not ALL who come from a climate that is a 180 degree difference.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Heard the cicadas again this afternoon!! It's coming!! We normally go through a little heat wave or big one like last year before the monsoon moisture rolls in (not necessarily rain )

On the topic--Many people either love or hate the heat.

I met a girl at the bank when I was in Boston and I told her the temp when I left was 111 and she said ohhhh, I love that. I asked my dad how it was coming back from Boston trip to the AZ heat. You know that point when you walk around the air conditioned airport and walk through the sliding doors after getting your bags and BOOM. That hot air just hits you in the face. Yeah, he loved it. which I am surprised by, but I think it's cuz of the low low humidity that it does not seem to bother him. I think the harsh winters bothered him more and the hot humid days of CT did too. It's a nice change for a lot of people-if not ALL who come from a climate that is a 180 degree difference.
I heard them as well and looking at the 5day moisture maps you can see the tropical air marching closer and closer to the valley.

That doesn’t surprise me, I spent many years in the northeast and still quite prefer Phoenix even after 13 summers here or so. The one drawback for me on monsoon season is the elevated humidity levels, granted I know it can be way worse but I’m a desert rat from birth and dry air has always felt normal and better to me.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,978 times
There is a pvc pipe that runs off our AC unit. No idea what it is for, science is not my thing, but it drips when the monsoon is happening. Dry as a bone so far.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:07 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
There is a pvc pipe that runs off our AC unit. No idea what it is for, science is not my thing, but it drips when the monsoon is happening. Dry as a bone so far.
That is your condensation line, you should have 2, one lower one and one exiting higher on the house. The lower SHOULD drip occasionally during normal operation...when the higher one starts dripping, you have a problem.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:59 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
That is your condensation line, you should have 2, one lower one and one exiting higher on the house. The lower SHOULD drip occasionally during normal operation...when the higher one starts dripping, you have a problem.
I think he was talking about condensation build up on the outside of the pipe from humidity.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I heard them as well and looking at the 5day moisture maps you can see the tropical air marching closer and closer to the valley.

That doesn’t surprise me, I spent many years in the northeast and still quite prefer Phoenix even after 13 summers here or so. The one drawback for me on monsoon season is the elevated humidity levels, granted I know it can be way worse but I’m a desert rat from birth and dry air has always felt normal and better to me.
Definitely, I have been in AZ summers for about 9 years and even the slightest bump in humidity is like DEATH. We get so used to the dryness all year long that we get sensitive to it going up. I know the humidity will not rise to anything like Florida or the South (except when it is actually raining) but still, it sucks. I know people back east would love to just feel DPs under 50 for the whole year. We get it for only a few months, thankfully
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area