Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2018, 07:12 PM

46 posts, read 39,013 times

Advertisements

I made the move from the midwest last year and everyone there told me the same thing ... it's so hot you're going to die from the heat out there! Miraculously, I am now into my second summer here and I'm still alive. And, I love it, heat and all. I thoroughly enjoyed not having to deal with snow, ice, and below zero temperatures in the winter. And as others have said, you can always go outside in Arizona, even in the heat. I certainly don't stay in my house 4-5 months a year! I don't even stay in during these hot months in the summer, I still go out and enjoy myself and the weather. In the midwest, it was always difficult to plan in advance where I wanted to go because of the unpredictable weather. And I recently made a trip back to the midwest and I can happily now say, "Decision to move to AZ confirmed!" I stepped off the plane in Michigan and the humidity hit me like a ton of bricks! I was very happy to get back "home" to AZ.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Like a lot of things if you have money you can have a pool, you can crank your a/c down to 70, you can plant a lot of shade trees and not worry about the expense of watering them. You can even air condition your garage as someone mentioned. Things are different when you're in a lower tax bracket.

BTW where does Arizona get its water supply from? Are there ever any water restrictions because of it being a desert?

Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Like a lot of things if you have money you can have a pool, you can crank your a/c down to 70, you can plant a lot of shade trees and not worry about the expense of watering them. You can even air condition your garage as someone mentioned. Things are different when you're in a lower tax bracket.

BTW where does Arizona get its water supply from? Are there ever any water restrictions because of it being a desert?
You can't broad brush "Arizona" for water supplies. But with respect to the Phoenix area the water comes from the Colorado River (Rocky Mountains), the Salt/Verde Rivers (Arizona "rim country", White Mountains in eastern AZ/west New Mexico), and groundwater. The Phoenix area is in pretty good shape with with water supply and in the several decades I have been here there have never been any restrictions on residential users. Agricultural interests do see cutbacks to their allocations of surface waters from the Salt River Project from time to time and they switch to pumping of ground water to make up for that.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:46 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You can't broad brush "Arizona" for water supplies. But with respect to the Phoenix area the water comes from the Colorado River (Rocky Mountains), the Salt/Verde Rivers (Arizona "rim country", White Mountains in eastern AZ/west New Mexico), and groundwater. The Phoenix area is in pretty good shape with with water supply and in the several decades I have been here there have never been any restrictions on residential users. Agricultural interests do see cutbacks to their allocations of surface waters from the Salt River Project from time to time and they switch to pumping of ground water to make up for that.
Thanks for answering - I figured there would be a lot of water restrictions because it is mostly desert. Here in SW Florida we get little rain from October-May and too much rain from June-September. We keep hearing that they will be building a reservoir but so far they haven't and we have to content with water releases from Lake Okeechobee to prevent local flooding during rainy season which turns our river & Gulf green with algae and red tide.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:21 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
70 degree dew point and 60% humidity. Again. I'm DYING for some dry air. Its been humid as funk all of July so far.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:54 AM

61 posts, read 48,303 times
Don't worry it will be dry and hot as **** soon enough.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,375 times
Pretty sure this weekend and into next Monday will be a break from monsoon and back to dry, excessive heat, with DP back into 40s maybe

Old 07-16-2018, 10:27 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
70 degree dew point and 60% humidity. Again. I'm DYING for some dry air. Its been humid as funk all of July so far.
Patience, Cats.

This, too, will pass...

Old 07-16-2018, 10:47 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
Don't worry it will be dry and hot as **** soon enough.
Bring it on. I don't mind the 70s and humid after the storms roll through, but this early morning 90s and humid can suck it.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:46 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Bring it on. I don't mind the 70s and humid after the storms roll through, but this early morning 90s and humid can suck it.
I rolled in from a road trip at 10pm last night, wasn’t terrible had the windows down and wasn’t dying. Felt okay again this morning, maybe I’m acclimated to summer now but it hasn’t felt that bad to me in my 14th summer here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area