Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
based on the number of lawyer commercials here, I bet its alot more than that!
We live in a city where almost every person is a driver on high MPH roads. Unlike many areas where 35mph is the norm with fender benders, here an accident is severe, which is great for Plaintiffs PI lawyers couple that with 5million motorists all driving everyday...

Old 08-08-2018, 07:47 PM

277 posts, read 276,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
The worst situation in Phoenix is having your car break down in 110 + heat. Second is when the air conditioner stops working correctly in your car or house. Third is getting in that pool in the summer and the water is always hot. Fourth is that from May to September everything you touch outside either burns you or leaves a cactus needle in you. Lastly, forget about yard work and doing anything in the garage during those five months.
The temperature in May isn't too bad and by mid September nighttime temps are like low 80's and high 70's

Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
The worst situation in Phoenix is having your car break down in 110 + heat. Second is when the air conditioner stops working correctly in your car or house. Third is getting in that pool in the summer and the water is always hot. Fourth is that from May to September everything you touch outside either burns you or leaves a cactus needle in you. Lastly, forget about yard work and doing anything in the garage during those five months.
I’m not at all surprised that someone who goes by Snowdude doesn’t like Phoenix weather.

As others have already said, May-Sept is an exaggeration, yeah it’s warm in May and Sept but the extreme stuff is really 6/15 to 9/15 and the pools don’t hit the 80-90 degree range until July and start dropping again by Sept 1st.

The a/c problems are just flipped from the same issues you’d have in a cold city if your car heater or house heater failed or car breaks down or gets stuck in snow on a cold day. If your car a/c breaks, take it in for a change that’s usually the problem. If the house fails throw a window a/c in your bedroom until the central system is fixed. And if your car breaks down in the metro AAA and others are readily available. You find a shady spot along the highway, travel with water in the car and you’ll be fine. It’s not 120 every day, our typical summer day isn’t deadly if you’re sitting in a car with windows down or under an underpass for an hour or 2.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:15 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Daily high in Phoenix on avg doesn’t reach 95 until May 18 and dips back below again on Sept 30. June 1 and Sept 17 for the 100 degree mark. And you mentioned when it starts to cool some at night. So in my book 3 months of “very hot”..and another month of “hot.” Not a bad trade off considering cost of living, quality of living, proximity to better weather, a good airport, etc. Life is about tradeoffs.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Doh! I misread the data. It's really 93596 crashes for Maricopa county per year, so about 250/day on average.
This actually fits right into the US average, the country has 6.4million car accidents per year with 325Million People. That works out to .0196 car accidents per year per person. With Phoenix having about 5 million people you’d expect 98k crashes a year or 270 a day.

We are known as a car obsessed country compared to many other developed nations, this doesn’t surprise me at all.

https://www.statista.com/topics/3708...nts-in-the-us/

Old 08-09-2018, 04:03 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
multiple personal attacks have been deleted. please make an effort to get back to some approximation of being on topic. Please also stop being obnoxious to each other - that goes for the tone of your reports too, while we’re at it.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I’m not at all surprised that someone who goes by Snowdude doesn’t like Phoenix weather.
Its "slowdude222", not "snowdude222".

Old 08-09-2018, 10:04 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
The a/c problems are just flipped from the same issues you’d have in a cold city if your car heater or house heater failed or car breaks down or gets stuck in snow on a cold day. If your car a/c breaks, take it in for a change that’s usually the problem. If the house fails throw a window a/c in your bedroom until the central system is fixed. And if your car breaks down in the metro AAA and others are readily available. You find a shady spot along the highway, travel with water in the car and you’ll be fine. It’s not 120 every day, our typical summer day isn’t deadly if you’re sitting in a car with windows down or under an underpass for an hour or 2.
Except if a person has certain health conditions, a malfunctioning A/C or a broken down car can translate to heat related stress issues which can take a toll on the body. I'm not in horrible health, but there's something about being out in the heat that gives me headaches, even for a relatively short period.

July and August are the worst months to be in Phoenix in my opinion. Monsoon season can bring some good thunderstorms every now & then, but the dust storms that often precede as well as the microbursts & deadly lightning aren't too pleasant to deal with. Overall, a very hot, sticky, dirty time of year ... and I always long for October/November about now. Fall can't come soon enough!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:30 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
I'll take the hot weather over snow any day. I am in Chandler right now vacationing. Leaving tomorrow.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 AM

61 posts, read 48,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Except if a person has certain health conditions, a malfunctioning A/C or a broken down car can translate to heat related stress issues which can take a toll on the body. I'm not in horrible health, but there's something about being out in the heat that gives me headaches, even for a relatively short period.

July and August are the worst months to be in Phoenix in my opinion. Monsoon season can bring some good thunderstorms every now & then, but the dust storms that often precede as well as the microbursts & deadly lightning aren't too pleasant to deal with. Overall, a very hot, sticky, dirty time of year ... and I always long for October/November about now. Fall can't come soon enough!
C'mon people. How often does your AC fail and/or your car break down in unbearable heat? If more than once every ten years, you're not maintaining your car properly. THAT'S the problem, not the weather. In cold climes, during storm conditions, smart people carry sleeping bags, provisions and other emergency supplies in their trunk. In Phoenix, it would be simple enough to carry a gallon of water, shade umbrella, and whatever else you might need in your car during the hot months, on the extremely rare chance that your car breaks down.

Sheesh. You all make it sound like it's a regular occurrence. The sky is falling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area