Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 01:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yes, our summer weather sucks arse. I can be negative about it all I want. Do you not agree that our summers are the pits? If you don't, you need a lobotomy.
In total, your posts indicate you absolutely hate it in the Phoenix Metro. It totally sucks for you. And the summer is nine billion times worse than living naked at the North Pole during the coldest stretch in history. But the worse part of that is that YOU survive it. Mother Nature hasn't even the decently to let you die or MOVE!!!

IT'S A CRUE WORLD FOR YOU! GLAD I'M NOT YOU, HOWEVER. Something you did in a past life maybe. Look within!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriotsfan82 View Post
The difference to me is the diversity of outdoor activities available. During the Midwest/Northeast's winter season, I can sled, ice skate, snowshoe, ski, comfortably walk around a nature preserve with a jacket, stroll around the downtown with a jacket on, go to the zoo with a jacket on, etc. Plus, the cold weather cities tend to have the world class museums too, meaning there is a great variety of things to do both indoors and outdoors making the cold season more tolerable.

Additionally, the cold weather season in the northern cities coincides with the holiday season which means even more to do - zoo lights, holiday events at museums, etc. etc so you basically have a million things to do. Honestly, I don't want to sit in a pool for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Whereas in Arizona, during the summer season, you are limited to sitting inside watching TV, walking around a mall, or sitting around a pool all day which gets old. I usually squeeze in a short bike ride or hike at 7am but the rest of the day I'm finished as the heat knocks me out so bad and it really is dangerous to be outside for a long time. It's about the variety of activities for me. Plus, Arizona does not offer the top end museums and a lively sports scene like Chicago or NY. The hot weather season lasts much longer in Arizona than the cold weather season lasts in most areas of the country.

Asides from places like Minnesota, northern Maine, upstate NY, most cities barely get more than few big snowstorms each season. Most of the time we would hope to get snow for Christmas and it never came. If I was tired of the snow, I would simply hire someone to shovel it for me or purchase a snowblower.
How do you figure any of this? We’re a short 90-120 minute drive to 80 degree summer high temps, the lack of geographic diversity in the Midwest compared to Arizona is one of the biggest turnoffs of the region to me. You mean you can’t dribe 90 miles and go from a desert to a forest? That’s no good in my book.

So what if you don’t want to drive? Then you head out early in the day as many of us do which is why you see the preserves busy every morning from 5am to 9am, then it’s pretty normal for us to head to breakfast on the weekend still dining on the patio under misters where it’s quite comfortable and off to the pool or lake or maybe a ball game after that.

And I have to through this out there too, what do you want in a mueseum? We’ve got the largest Native American museum in the country, Phoenix Art Museum offers activities and rotating exhibits all summer all while having one of the top 25 largest spaces in the country, the MIM is new and already nationally recognized for its pieces and regular musical events, museum of the west is new and about to double in size, AZ science center has had exhibits recently make their final North American stop here and our smaller arts seen be it Roosevelt Row or Old Town is thriving. Not sure how you can get bored, sure we don’t have the Getty but neither do most other cities of our size. This isn’t New York or Chicago but there’s certainly no shortage of creative options.

The idea that living in Phoenix means you’re stuck indoors all summer is a completely fallacy. Yes, you shouldn’t be going for a hike at 1pm on a 110 degree day but heading to the high country is beyond simple be it Payson, Prescott, Flagstaff etc....

You may also be shocked to learn that we don’t sit by the pool at Christmas either, it’s way too cold unless you have a heated pool. We have do have nearly endless outdoor Christmas activities and thanks to the mild weather you can find incredible lights all over the valley. There’s no short of a dozen outdoor ice skating rinks, one of the biggest zoo lights events in the country, the always amazing luminarias at DBG, the annual Christmas light boat parade on town lake and countless other events all over.

The valley is also hoping with events from October through April be it college bowl season, car show week or the Phoenix open. There’s no better city in the winter months and we’ve got usually great skiing just 2 hours away.

Last edited by locolife; 08-07-2018 at 04:45 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 04:49 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
right on point as always, loco!
There is so much to do inside, outside, 60 minutes away, and more...
As always, the first thing that comes to my mind, is that anyone who hates it so much here should do what they can to go elsewhere..no reason to hate where you live 24/7/365

Old 08-07-2018, 05:21 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,894 times
In reality most people in Phoenix aren't hiking at 4:00am or driving to the north country every weekend of the summer. Just like most people in the cold weather states aren't actually snowshoeing or ice skating all winter. No matter where you are, people mostly sit around their climate controlled homes, complain, and wait for the nice weather to come back.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:32 PM

31 posts, read 23,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
right on point as always, loco!
There is so much to do inside, outside, 60 minutes away, and more...
As always, the first thing that comes to my mind, is that anyone who hates it so much here should do what they can to go elsewhere..no reason to hate where you live 24/7/365
I agree with you on moving if you don't like it. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to move right away without saving up money, finding a new job, etc. I am moving in the beginning of October. I just felt the need to express my personal opinion that you can do more in the cold climates in the winter (especially if you are a fitness/nature lover) versus the hot desert sun, which is brutal for a much longer time period.

I feel like too many people act like those living in places like Chicago are Boston are holed up in their houses with 10 feet of snow for months on end. It simply isn't the case. More like 3 big snowstorms and a few days a month of 1- 5 inches. Most other days are in the 30's-50's. And it is only really humid during the summer months. During the fall and winter, we usually have a humidifier running.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:34 PM

31 posts, read 23,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
In reality most people in Phoenix aren't hiking at 4:00am or driving to the north country every weekend of the summer. Just like most people in the cold weather states aren't actually snowshoeing or ice skating all winter. No matter where you are, people mostly sit around their climate controlled homes, complain, and wait for the nice weather to come back.
Yes this is true. Although the heat really kills me so much so that I just do not feel like doing anything any more. I have to force myself to hike or ride a bike with the brutal sun blasting down on me. Whereas, when it is cold out, I actually want to and have the energy to go ice skating and snowshoeing. I may be in the minority, but I would be out there ice skating, going to parks, etc every weekend as I hate being cooped in the house all weekend, especially since I work from home!

Old 08-07-2018, 06:30 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
Quote:
I agree with you on moving if you don't like it. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to move right away without saving up money, finding a new job, etc. I am moving in the beginning of October. I just felt the need to express my personal opinion that you can do more in the cold climates in the winter (especially if you are a fitness/nature lover) versus the hot desert sun, which is brutal for a much longer time period.

I feel like too many people act like those living in places like Chicago are Boston are holed up in their houses with 10 feet of snow for months on end. It simply isn't the case. More like 3 big snowstorms and a few days a month of 1- 5 inches. Most other days are in the 30's-50's. And it is only really humid during the summer months. During the fall and winter, we usually have a humidifier running.
I lived in Chicago for MANY decades, so I know exactly what the winters/autumn/springs are there..

And, for me, there is no comparison; I'd rather be hot for 3 months and live out side for the other 9 months, like you can here in Phoenix; you can NOT live outside for 9 months in Chicago...

But, hey, the climate here isnt for everyone, so, its a good thing you are moving on..hopefully you find somewhere more suited to your liking elsewhere..

Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
This is true I was referring to those who spend a lot of time being active or just outside in general, I find the Phoenix climate more tolerable to being outdoors if that’s your thing. As for being indoors, I suppose it’s all the same.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Just like many think we do the same here all summer long, there’s a handful of extreme days where we got 112 and above but beyond that it’s fairly tolerable. When I lived in the northeast I didn’t stay holed up all winter but I certainly find Phoenix summers easier to stay active outdoors then northeast winters.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:08 PM

671 posts, read 854,828 times
This exactly. Moderate winters, driving distance from decent beaches, skiing for thoe who want it due to the elevation up north, affordability, lakes, mountains, desert, amazing sunsets. The northeast winters were intolerable. If you do not want to be cold outside doing freezing activities in the snow, you were trapped inside. In Upstate New YOrk, I would see a wrecked car on my 20 minute drive to work EVERY SINGLE DAY during the winters. Not once or twice a week but a car crash every day on my morning commute. I took a different route to work in the winter to avoid an icy hill. A few days, I actually couldn't get to work because of snow and ice. Recreation was out of the question. I will take lounging by a pool or hanging out an air conditioned location over being literally trapped at home. I have never been unable to leave my house in Arizona. The lack of humidity makes the extreme heat tolerable to a certain degree. 120 is 120. Don't get me wrong. BUT, 120 withhumidity would be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
How do you figure any of this? We’re a short 90-120 minute drive to 80 degree summer high temps, the lack of geographic diversity in the Midwest compared to Arizona is one of the biggest turnoffs of the region to me. You mean you can’t dribe 90 miles and go from a desert to a forest? That’s no good in my book.

So what if you don’t want to drive? Then you head out early in the day as many of us do which is why you see the preserves busy every morning from 5am to 9am, then it’s pretty normal for us to head to breakfast on the weekend still dining on the patio under misters where it’s quite comfortable and off to the pool or lake or maybe a ball game after that.

And I have to through this out there too, what do you want in a mueseum? We’ve got the largest Native American museum in the country, Phoenix Art Museum offers activities and rotating exhibits all summer all while having one of the top 25 largest spaces in the country, the MIM is new and already nationally recognized for its pieces and regular musical events, museum of the west is new and about to double in size, AZ science center has had exhibits recently make their final North American stop here and our smaller arts seen be it Roosevelt Row or Old Town is thriving. Not sure how you can get bored, sure we don’t have the Getty but neither do most other cities of our size. This isn’t New York or Chicago but there’s certainly no shortage of creative options.

The idea that living in Phoenix means you’re stuck indoors all summer is a completely fallacy. Yes, you shouldn’t be going for a hike at 1pm on a 110 degree day but heading to the high country is beyond simple be it Payson, Prescott, Flagstaff etc....

You may also be shocked to learn that we don’t sit by the pool at Christmas either, it’s way too cold unless you have a heated pool. We have do have nearly endless outdoor Christmas activities and thanks to the mild weather you can find incredible lights all over the valley. There’s no short of a dozen outdoor ice skating rinks, one of the biggest zoo lights events in the country, the always amazing luminarias at DBG, the annual Christmas light boat parade on town lake and countless other events all over.

The valley is also hoping with events from October through April be it college bowl season, car show week or the Phoenix open. There’s no better city in the winter months and we’ve got usually great skiing just 2 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area