Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 01:41 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times

Advertisements

I'd imagine SAD (or reverse SAD) would be an issue in a dry, sunny climate just as it is in the colder, cloudier climates. The sun does get very intense here, and this time of year is always sunny & clear with very few breaks. This becomes very very monotonous! Even when the monsoon gets going in July & August, there are still very few cloudy days. In fact, sun & heat are needed to get the storms going, which mostly occur in the evening.

The only time of year that I actually like sunshine in Phoenix is fall, mainly from late October into early December. That's the time when I think we have some of the nicest weather: temperatures are mild (not too hot or too cold), and the sun is lower in the sky so it doesn't feel as intense, even when it gets warm. The period from March to about early May can also have decent temperatures, but the sun is higher in the sky and feels more intense. It can also be windy that time of year, particularly April & May, which I don't care for.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:00 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I can guarantee you, if the weather was more bipolar like in Denver, you guys would probably complain about it too. I personally wasn't a fan of it when I lived there. Monotonous weather has its advantages.
Yeah I lived a couple of years in Arequipa, Peru and there the average monthly high varies only between 71F-77F....I loved loved loved it and and wife did as well...we didn't miss seasons. I suppose if I lived there for many years, I might possibly get tired of the same weather but I loved it.

I think there is something to getting tired and complaining about some bad element of your climate....when I lived many years in south Texas, I complained about the heat and humidity and now that I've lived in the PNW for decades, sick of the gray winters.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:43 PM

50 posts, read 55,512 times
I'm new to AZ. People here live inside all summer. I noticed, as an outsider, that people here aren't tough at all. Most people live and work in ac. I have my ac set to 92 degrees so I can somewhat acclimate then it does not feel too hot when you're used to it...

Old 06-27-2018, 05:25 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear12 View Post
I'm new to AZ. People here live inside all summer. I noticed, as an outsider, that people here aren't tough at all. Most people live and work in ac. I have my ac set to 92 degrees so I can somewhat acclimate then it does not feel too hot when you're used to it...
Come 9 am, I pretty much close the doors, shut the blinds and drapes and sit in front of a fan and below another watching TV till bedtime. Repeat each day until October. Start again in May. But it's a great place to live.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
You keep it at 92 degrees indoors? So you can acclimate? Do you do landscaping or construction or something?

Old 06-27-2018, 05:43 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Could it be? Is it possible? With monsoon right around the corner, might we not get a 115+ day this year?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:35 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,106 times
Quote:
I drive home with my car windows open. I'm not headed anywhere so I don't care if I sweat or the hair gets messed up, and it helps with acclimation to the heat. It works, I don't really notice the heat except for days we hit 109-110 or more (at which time the a/c in the car does go back on, LOL).

Old 06-27-2018, 06:37 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,305,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Could it be? Is it possible? With monsoon right around the corner, might we not get a 115+ day this year?
Even though there is no dubbed "monsoon season" here in southern Texas, we still do experience effects from the same circulation pattern. The high pressure ridge moves north enough, allowing tropical waves to undercut and move west into southern Texas. Those same disturbances end up bringing the rains of your monsoon as they ride up the southwest periphery of the ridge.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:39 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Yeah I lived a couple of years in Arequipa, Peru and there the average monthly high varies only between 71F-77F....I loved loved loved it and and wife did as well...we didn't miss seasons. I suppose if I lived there for many years, I might possibly get tired of the same weather but I loved it.

I think there is something to getting tired and complaining about some bad element of your climate....when I lived many years in south Texas, I complained about the heat and humidity and now that I've lived in the PNW for decades, sick of the gray winters.
I think the trick is to find the weather you like best, with the least things you dislike, and move there.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:10 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,253 times
Quote:
You must not get many visitors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area