Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times

Advertisements

While there may be a large black population in some of the Eastern suburbs, I'd be willing to bet there is very little "integration". Black neighborhoods, white neighborhoods. The ones that are mixed won't be for long. As to section 8 housing, take a drive through Swissvale, that program now is responsible for about 20% of all police calls, that program destroys neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 04:47 PM

353 posts, read 825,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
While there may be a large black population in some of the Eastern suburbs, I'd be willing to bet there is very little "integration". Black neighborhoods, white neighborhoods. The ones that are mixed won't be for long. As to section 8 housing, take a drive through Swissvale, that program now is responsible for about 20% of all police calls, that program destroys neighborhoods.
While I don't agree with you sentiment on Section 8 (the way the program is applied sucks, but its good in principle) I am happy that yet another person agrees with me.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Just talk to the Mayor of Swissvale, Section 8 is killing that town. I worked years ago in a rental office that managed Section 8 housing so I know a little about the system.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Just talk to the Mayor of Swissvale, Section 8 is killing that town. I worked years ago in a rental office that managed Section 8 housing so I know a little about the system.
Well, I find that the real problem with Section 8 is actually with the FHA. Because the FHA doesn't use source of income as a guide line for anti-discrimination, people with vouchers usually end up having to move into areas that already have low property values, because they are the only people who will rent to Section 8ers. The whole idea of Section 8 is to create "anti-projects". The projects concentrated poverty into pockets. Concentrated poverty = bad, obviously. So, Section 8 was devised to spread out poverty, in the hope that people could move into areas with better standards of living, better schools, better expectations, and thus better their lot.

And sometimes, when a place start accepting Section 8, it drives down property values as more and more people come in. Then you have kinda a "re-concentration" of poverty to another place. I suspect this is what happened to Swissvale.

Hasn't worked, obviously, but I don't think that's really the fault of the program itself.

Now, you have dealt with it on the ground, I've dealt with it from the Ivory Tower, so I could be totally wrong. What's your view of it?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:11 PM

Giving someone free rent is never a good idea. They are put in houses next to people that worked hard to get there. Imagine how you'd feel if after you busted your butt, saved a down payment, and now paying your mortgage, someone moves in next to you for 10-12 bucks a month?

Did you ever see Section 8 housing in USC, Mt.Lebo, or Sewickly?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Giving someone free rent is never a good idea. They are put in houses next to people that worked hard to get there. Imagine how you'd feel if after you busted your butt, saved a down payment, and now paying your mortgage, someone moves in next to you for 10-12 bucks a month?

Did you ever see Section 8 housing in USC, Mt.Lebo, or Sewickly?
I know there is a little bit of Section 8 in Mt. Lebanon, but not much. I get your point though.

I grew up living next to alot of housing projects, so I'm more from the school that anything is better.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,341 times
??????......why am I still here arguing with newly arrived college students who have only visited these areas a few times to interview section-8 recipients?

I'm through arguing with imagination and intuition.

For the record and for anyone else who may be watching this train wreck. The Social Explorer Map lists median income by race. That data combined with the racial distribution data should demolish a substantial portion of this (poor suburban blacks on section-8) nonsense. It's pretty clear that most of the poverty is along the Mon and in the city. Also, the racial distributrion data itself clearly shows the diversity of the Eastern Suburbs as compared to the rest of the county. And finally,the fact that I've spent large amounts of time in the Eastern Burbs, and can vouch that these facts square with my personal observations.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
That's why Social Explorer - Demographic Maps is the greatest demographic tool created in the history of the universe. This tour-de-force of data aggregation and presentation is the most comprehensive, concise, and complete resource I've seen yet.

If you want to see stunning segregation...look at the black population in Houston or NY. Also, who said that Allegheny County has an aging population....the census says otherwise. And who know there was so much money in Butler.....and the North Hills look like the place to be for married couples.
Quote:
??????......why am I still here arguing with newly arrived college students who have only visited these areas a few times to interview section-8 recipients?
You never know when the next "newly arrived college student" may be on your side. I also disagree that the Social Explorer is the greatest demographic tool created in the history of the universe. The religion piece of it isn't nearly as good as this one:

Map Gallery of Religion in the United States

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-09-2008 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post

I'm through arguing with imagination and intuition.

For the record and for anyone else who may be watching this train wreck. The Social Explorer Map lists median income by race. That data combined with the racial distribution data should demolish a substantial portion of this (poor suburban blacks on section-8) nonsense. It's pretty clear that most of the poverty is along the Mon and in the city. Also, the racial distributrion data itself clearly shows the diversity of the Eastern Suburbs as compared to the rest of the county. And finally,the fact that I've spent large amounts of time in the Eastern Burbs, and can vouch that these facts square with my personal observations.
We aren't in the least bit arrogant, are we? Personally, I have no idea why I wasted so much time arguing with someone who has his head so far up his ass that the lump in his throat is his nose.

The data clearly supports my conclusions, for the most part. I have no idea what world you have created for yourself that you feel otherwise.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You never know when the next "newly arrived college student" may be on your side.
This map is interesting to me. Notice how Appalacia transitions from Baptist to Methodist to Catholic....I wonder if there are corresponding cultural changes.

Anyway....the last think I'm concerned with is having X number of people "on my side". The world is filled with not-to-bright people who can be swindled into believing anything, so naturally, not all opinions are equal. Some opinions count much more than others. One should be concerned with who....not how many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh