Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,162,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Argh, they ALL try to cater to ALL groups. It's politics and offending as few people as possible is the best bet to get (re-)elected.

Alas, may I point out that using "your boy" reeks of racism!

And please don't give me any of that "you liberals and your PC crap" - at least own up to what you believe on a thread where you decry that others don't!
I'm black and I use the term all the time. Take your P.C garbage some place else. And what do you mean own up to it? I've already said I don't support gay marriage.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-10-2012 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: name calling

Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,312,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
You think those voters were looking at marriage views as a litmus test in 2008? Did they vote for pro-family candidates in previous elections? Or withhold their votes from candidates open to gay rights in the past?
Obama was against gay marriage in 2008, so he had the black baptist vote in the bag. It's also seen as having weak convictions to change his mind (aka "evolve") so abruptly and so close to an election, on top of being weak on traditional marriage.

I'm pro-gay marriage, but I'm just telling it to you like it is being a resident of NC.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,162,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
Obama showed courage,like Kennedy and Johnson did with civil rights
Courage my ass, he had to come out because Biden outed him.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,188,611 times
Default Obama Says Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Legal

WASHINGTON — President Obama on Wednesday ended nearly two years of “evolving” on the issue of same-sex marriage by publicly endorsing it in a television interview, taking a definitive stand on one of the most contentious and politically charged social issues of the day.

“At a certain point, I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married,” Mr. Obama told ABC News in an interview that came after the president faced mounting pressure to clarify his position.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/us...-be-legal.html

Wow, whoever is advising Obama....Thank you, you're the gift that keeps on giving. Oh my gosh, this is so stupid! There goes North Carolina, Virginia, Florida, Nevada, possibly Colorado...this might even put New Mexico in play. Are they trying to lose? Keep it up, it works for us!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:40 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,758,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
This supposed to be : Government of the People - By the people

A recent national survey, commissioned by the Alliance Defense Fund and completed by Public Opinion Strategies, revealed that 62 percent of Americans believe “marriage should be defined only as a union between one man and one woman.” Again, every time the American people have had a chance to vote, they vote to uphold the traditional definition of marriage.

2% of the minority want to change OUR RIGHTS! which is simply GOD'S LAWS! Remember this is the United States of America - OUR MOTTO - In God We Trust.

Go to a foreign country if you do not want to obey our laws! GOD'S LAWS!
Actually, you have to go to a foreign country in order to enjoy "GOD"S LAWS!" In the US, we have separation of church and state.

Let us know how you enjoy your time in Saudi Arabia, Egypt, or Iran.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
"Black Baptist" is not a monolith.

Take the 2008 election, knock off 10-20% of the Black Baptist vote and you still have an Obama landslide.

And the white Baptist vote wasn't Obama's to lose.
How so? The Cary soccer moms are pretty moderate but pro-traditional marriage and more in line with Romni-nomics. Charlotte folks are pretty fickle but lean socially conservative outside of the city limits. There's less suburban sprawl in Charlotte so more right wingers just outside the city. The trend would probably be more for Romney as he'll secure the moderate soccer mom vote on his economic policies and unless there's a strong RP/Johnson protest vote, NC is Romney's to lose.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM

14,722 posts, read 14,695,253 times
Thankfully, our Constitution specifically states we will never have and never will live under "God's laws". The courts will be the one to decide this issue, and hopefully they'll move in favor of civil rights, as they have in the past.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,410,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Obama was against gay marriage in 2008, so he had the black baptist vote in the bag. It's also seen as having weak convictions to change his mind (aka "evolve") so abruptly and so close to an election, on top of being weak on traditional marriage.

I'm pro-gay marriage, but I'm just telling it to you like it is being a resident of NC.
He was "against" gay marriage, but he was opposed to measures designed to block its adoption, especially constitutional amendments. It wasn't a particularly forceful stance, and I highly doubt it's why he had African-American Baptists on his side, particularly when blacks tend to vote Democrat in most elections, regardless of the candidate.

I suppose anything's possible, but I'd be HIGHLY surprised to see a dip of more than a few percentage points, at best, among African Americans in 2012.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:46 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,033,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
Obama showed courage,like Kennedy and Johnson did with civil rights
I think Obama just showed "perfect timing"
He made a lot of promises to the Gay community when he ran in 2008.

You do know that Kennedy was opposed to the Civil Rights Act of 1957,
don't you?

After nomination, Kennedy spoke a lot about civil rights in his speeches.
Many were skeptical of the turn-around and chalked his conversion up to needing the black vote in order to beat Nixon....

IMO this whole discussion about marriage, defining marriage and Congressional
Marriage Acts do not belong at the federal level...

But once again, wedge issues will determine elections instead of
economic, foreign policy, and deficit issues.
I call them unexcusable distractions.
Presidents and Congress call them blessings.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
He was "against" gay marriage, but he was opposed to measures designed to block its adoption, especially constitutional amendments. It wasn't a particularly forceful stance, and I highly doubt it's why he had African-American Baptists on his side, particularly when blacks tend to vote Democrat in most elections, regardless of the candidate.

I suppose anything's possible, but I'd be HIGHLY surprised to see a dip of more than a few percentage points, at best, among African Americans in 2012.
It will be publicized as waffling and spineless. That won't look good for the very large % of very socially conservative baptists in NC in addition to the moderates. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the impact. I think his number crunchers goofed big time. Classic short-sightedness and not realizing that the decision will not be localized to NC but have an effect on other swing states with socially conservative blue collar types like Ohio, Virginia and Penn. That plus the obviousness of it being so close to election time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies