Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times

Advertisements

Lots of young people dont have them or need them. If you don't drive, why would you need an ID? Right wingers are too stupid to understand that $20 is prohibitive to the very poor whose food budget may be $20 a week. Wish there was a hell these creepy degenerates could go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
That's right, then it's matched to the registered voter roll.
so if a young guy who speaks very little English hands you a picture ID that say his name is Ernestine Jefferson ,and the voter roll has that name on it, you have to him vote ,right?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I was under the impression that it was illegal to not have an ID if you are over the age of 18. Otherwise, you could be charged with vagrancy. And I really cannot understand how a 65-year old woman got the medical attention she needed to get in that wheelchair without a valid ID. She's probably on Medicare or Medicaid, which also requires she show valid ID.

In this day and age, no one can convince me that requiring photo ID to vote is disenfranchisement when ID is required for everything from opening a bank account, applying for a job, getting medical attention, obtaining Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security benefits, welfare benefits, cashing a check, going to the courthouse, buying certain allergy medicines, etc. Heck, Attorney General Eric Holder requires people to have valid photo ID to see him give his many speeches claiming the voter ID law is the biggest voter disenfranchisement since the Civil Rights Law passed in the '60s. Same thing at the NAACP convention in Houston recently. Aren't these people talking to the very people they claim would be disenfranchised by this bill?
HELLO? Welcome to the REAL world! A medicare card is NOT valid ID. It does not have a picture. I received mine without ever showing a picture ID. So did most (all?) people.

I go into the Courthouse often - have been all my life. NEVER had to show a picture ID, not in State COurt nor Federal COurt. I did have to show a picture ID if I wanted to avaoid going through the MEtal detector - but that was strictly for attorneys. The public went in without an ID.

Your "impression" is so wrong. Illegal to not have a valid ID? SHEESH! - THis is not Nazi Germany! DO you also think that Jewish people have to walk around with arm bands with the Star of David? Reading your incredibly uninformed post, one could think that is what you believe.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!

Not everyone is like YOU. THis is what the problem is here, with your post & many others.
Ypu just refuse to see that this country has a very heterogenous population.
MANY MANY people are retired, so no longer are working.
I have not shown an ID to cash a check in at least 10 years - I just slide it through the ATM machine. Or I take a picture of it on my cellphone. DIes that equate to "USUALLY Need it to cash a check?"
yes, I needed an ID to open my account - but that was 30 - 40 years ago, and that ID is long expired. I personally have current ID's, but can't you put yourself in the shoes of a person who opened a bank acount 40 years ago, uses public transportation, or maybe no transportation at all because they are too physically frail to travel, has been collecting a pension or SS for 10 or more years, and thus has no currently valid ID?

THe world does not revolve around YOU.
Maybe you live in a small town where the bank tellers know you well. However, having a valid photo ID would protect you and others like you from potential check cashing frauds. What if you wanted to travel out of town, you lost your ATM card and another bank branch didn't know you?

Or what if you decided to take a road trip to Canada? Without a valid government issued ID, you can't cross any country borders.

And because of health insurance fraud, most hospitals want to see proper ID when processing a patient, just to make sure that they have the real person connected to the health insurance card that they are billing. So you could get denied medical care if a doctor isn't sure that you are the same person as the name on the medicare card.

Otherwise, in general having a government issued photo ID is a good way to make sure that a potential voter is a real US citizen and not an illegal immigrant.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times
This cracks me up... How do people actually survive without a photo ID... In the last three days I've had to show ID.
#1. To buy alcohol... and no.. I don't look under 21... geeze.. most of the time their asking if I need a senior citizen discount.
#2. To have a medical test done at the hospital. Took a copy of my license and insurance card. Same test I've had done at the same hospital every year for the last 3 years...
#3. Stopped during a random traffic roadblock...
#4. Picking up a prescription @ Wal-mart...

As long as getting an ID is made affordable (even free if need be) then what's the big deal? Unless you've got a reason for hiding out or lying about your real identity then I don't get it. It sounds as if you have something to hide if your so opposed to ID's.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
In the last election we had people in the poor area of our city signing up former felons so they would be sure to get out to vote. You can't tell me they can't supply people with a valid ID if they can make sure former felons just out of jail will vote.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!

Not everyone is like YOU. THis is what the problem is here, with your post & many others.
Ypu just refuse to see that this country has a very heterogenous population.
MANY MANY people are retired, so no longer are working.
I have not shown an ID to cash a check in at least 10 years - I just slide it through the ATM machine. Or I take a picture of it on my cellphone. DIes that equate to "USUALLY Need it to cash a check?"
yes, I needed an ID to open my account - but that was 30 - 40 years ago, and that ID is long expired. I personally have current ID's, but can't you put yourself in the shoes of a person who opened a bank acount 40 years ago, uses public transportation, or maybe no transportation at all because they are too physically frail to travel, has been collecting a pension or SS for 10 or more years, and thus has no currently valid ID?

THe world does not revolve around YOU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Lots of young people dont have them or need them. If you don't drive, why would you need an ID? Right wingers are too stupid to understand that $20 is prohibitive to the very poor whose food budget may be $20 a week. Wish there was a hell these creepy degenerates could go to.
Quote:
HELLO? Welcome to the REAL world! A medicare card is NOT valid ID. It does not have a picture. I received mine without ever showing a picture ID. So did most (all?) people.

I go into the Courthouse often - have been all my life. NEVER had to show a picture ID, not in State COurt nor Federal COurt. I did have to show a picture ID if I wanted to avaoid going through the MEtal detector - but that was strictly for attorneys. The public went in without an ID.

Your "impression" is so wrong. Illegal to not have a valid ID? SHEESH! - THis is not Nazi Germany! DO you also think that Jewish people have to walk around with arm bands with the Star of David? Reading your incredibly uninformed post, one could think that is what you believe.
you say the world doesnt revolve around you(meaning us who your are typing to)..well look in the mirror mate

most things do now reqire an id, even opening a bank account requires id, plus a mailing address, plus if a checking account a SIGNATURE CARD(so they can verify your signature on a check)

most services (too include on line) are moving over to needing a comp-based id...(a CAC) (common acces card type id)

I carry 2 (TWO) being retired military and a current government civilian

currently we have 50 different standards of DL...we need ONE STANDARD...and it would be cheaper to issue it from one entity than form 50 different entites

even chuck schumer (democrat) wants a national id, and he wants BIOMETRICS with it to help against forguries and identification theft
Quote:
Democratic leaders have proposed requiring every worker in the nation to carry a national identification card with biometric information, such as a fingerprint, within the next six years, according to a draft of the measure. ...

“The cardholder’s identity will be verified by matching the biometric identifier stored within the microprocessing chip on the card to the identifier provided by the cardholder that shall be read by the scanner used by the employer,” states the Democratic legislative proposal. ....
“The biometric identification card is a critical element here,” Dick Durbin(D-Ill) said. “For a long time it was resisted by many groups, but now we live in a world where we take off our shoes at the airport and pull out our identification."

Last edited by workingclasshero; 08-14-2012 at 04:40 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 AM

390 posts, read 265,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
If you're argument for national ID is that every other industrial nation has one, we better go along and get ourselves some mandated time-off, maternity leave, and single-payer.

Your drivers license, state-ID card, and passport are all recognized nationally, with the passport being issued by the U.S. Government.

A couple of states do have those. I'm not arguing that the right to vote is a reason we shouldn't have voter-ID laws. I'm pointing out that it is a constitutional right, or did you miss that part of the Supreme Courts opinion?
Lol you want paid maternity leave like these socialized countries in Europe have? Getting pregnant is a personal choice and business owners should not be penalized for the choice of their employee.

Did you miss the SCOTUS decision where they found there is no Constitutional right to vote?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
because we need a NATIONAL STANDARD...it doesnt have to be a national id (although it would be cheaper to do it at a national level then to have the states do it), but a national STANDARD needs to be enforced...if each state is different and has their own databases that dont MATCH up with each other, that adds to the costs....a national standard, and a national id would be best and cheapest

do you know what happens when you make the good the enemy of the perfect? I wish we were 1 nation rather than 50 states. . .I would abolish "states rights" if i could, but I would not let my preference disenfranchise millions of voters.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
But of that entire list, only voting is a Constitutionally protected right.
The Constitution never explicitly ensures the right to vote (as it does for free speech, for example). Aside from these requirements, though, the qualifications for voters are left to the states. And as long as the qualifications do not conflict with anything in the Constitution, that right can be withheld. For example, in Texas, persons declared mentally incompetent and felons currently in prison or on probation are denied the right to vote.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies