Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Maybe some people do not want to have an ID card. Why should they be forced to comply with this unecessary edict?
They don't have to unless they want to be recognized. That's it in a nutshell. Can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
How are the online banks doing it? The one I opened an account with did not require any kind of physical id?
If your bank is exclusively online they might be excluded from the Homeland Security requirement for identification because you cannot deposit cash, ergo you cannot launder untraceable funds.

20yrsinBRanson

Old 08-13-2012, 01:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
It just one of those little ironies that for years the right has fought tooth and nail against the idea of a national id card and now suddenly everybody has to have at least one from the state (like they can't be interconnected these days).

Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Maybe some people do not want to have an ID card. Why should they be forced to comply with this unecessary edict?
No one is forcing them to have an ID, no one is advocating a "show me your papers" society (at least not in this thread). However, an ID is necessary to exercise certain privileges like voting, driving, buying alcohol, obtaining a birth certificate, obtaining a SS card, and all of the other numerous things mentioned in this thread.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In another thread a poster wrote the following:

To do many necessary functions, such as driving and getting medical care, you have to have an ID in this country. I really want to know for what VALID reason a US citizen wouldn't have an ID.

I know someone is going to cite cost so I'll go ahead and supply that because I don't see where any of them are prohibitive.
Most last between 4 and 5 years.
Just as a matter of curiosity, do you all really have to present ID to get medical care?

I've never been hospitalized, and I've had the same GP and the same dentist for decades, so I never have to present ID in their offices.

Do they ask you for ID at doctors' offices regularly?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
However, an ID is necessary to exercise certain privileges like voting, driving, buying alcohol, obtaining a birth certificate, obtaining a SS card, and all of the other numerous things mentioned in this thread.
But of that entire list, only voting is a Constitutionally protected right.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:17 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Just as a matter of curiosity, do you all really have to present ID to get medical care?

I've never been hospitalized, and I've had the same GP and the same dentist for decades, so I never have to present ID in their offices.

Do they ask you for ID at doctors' offices regularly?
Yes, the first time you go to that office but generally not afterwards. Yes, every single time you go to the hospital, at least around here. I have been told that it is in part because of HIPPA laws.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Well then wouldn't registering to vote be considered the same? One needs an ID to rewgister to vote.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:34 PM

390 posts, read 265,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Uh, again you have proven your argument is a miserable failure.

There is no Constitutional right to vote. Nowhere in the Constitution does it state everyone has a right to vote.

There are 3 Amendments dealing with voting, yet they only state the reasons people CANNOT be prohibited from voting.

Race, gender, poll tax.

If the Constitution actually stated "everyone has the right to vote", then those who are convicted felons and dishonorably discharged from the military would be in court fighting the prohibitions.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Uh, again you have proven your argument is a miserable failure.

There is no Constitutional right to vote. Nowhere in the Constitution does it state everyone has a right to vote.

There are 3 Amendments dealing with voting, yet they only state the reasons people CANNOT be prohibited from voting.

Race, gender, poll tax.

If the Constitution actually stated "everyone has the right to vote", then those who are convicted felons and dishonorably discharged from the military would be in court fighting the prohibitions.
Amendment 14, Section 2:
Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

The very wording itself is in the constitution, but it wouldn't matter if it wasn't there, because we still have the rights not in the Constitution, as protected by the 9th Amendment.

So yes, your right to vote is very much a right indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies