Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Actually - those were not my words - quote me if they were.

You have misinterpreted what I said - and have used some very convoluted reasoning to support your misinterpretation.
"Isn't the desire to not be sexually assaulted and possibly killed incentive enough to defend oneself?"

In the context of the thread, defending oneself would presumably be marrying a man.

Please feel free to try to spin your remark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your words.
Yes they are - and they do not = what I am being mischaracterized as believing.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
"Isn't the desire to not be sexually assaulted and possibly killed incentive enough to defend oneself?"

In the context of the thread, defending oneself would presumably be marrying a man.
In the context of the post I was responding to - defending oneself was doing exactly that - defending oneself physically - fighting back.

Where do you come up with the ridiculous idea that I meant anything differently?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
No.

The statistics appear to demonstrate so.
But they DON'T, and that is what we are trying to tell you.

All the statistics prove is that married woman IN 1994 -- which was 18 years ago, btw -- were less likely to report being sexually assaulted.

That DOES NOT MEAN they WEREN'T sexually assaulted, and it doesn't mean that they were safer because they are married.

Again, say it until you understand: Correlation DOES NOT PROVE CAUSATION!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I wonder what sort of doctors conveyed to this dolt that the female body has ways (apparently more than one) to try to shut that whole thing down. What whole thing - her vagina? The conception? Wouldn't it be great if women had little guillotines built into their cervices so they could just "chop that whole thing down" when a "legitimate rape" is happening to them?

I want the living brain amputee list the names of the doctors who advised him of this craziness so women can use their services with the knowledge that their doctors are gravely misinformed.
There is a device... Condoms With Teeth Fight Rape In South Africa

Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
In the context of the post I was responding to - defending oneself was doing exactly that - defending oneself physically - fighting back.

Where do you come up with the ridiculous idea that I meant anything differently?
"Perhaps to better protect women and to promote marriage we should legalize the sexual assault of unmarried women - give them an even greater incentive to protect themselves."

This is the remark you responded to. Hammertime's reference to the OP's argument of marriage being a safe haven.

How does fighting back enter into it?

Please, do continue to distance yourself from your original remark. You need to.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
"Perhaps to better protect women and to promote marriage we should legalize the sexual assault of unmarried women - give them an even greater incentive to protect themselves."

This is the remark you responded to. Hammertime's reference to the OP's argument of marriage being a safe haven.

How does fighting back enter into it?

Please, do continue to distance yourself from your original remark. You need to.
What do you mean "how does fighting back enter into it"? - how does it not enter into it?

Hammertime's entire post was non-sensical in the first place.

I responded by challenging him on what he wrote. Does anyone who is being assaulted need a stronger incentive to fight back and defend themselves at the moment of the attack?

If there is - and that is what you think - I would really like to know what those incentives might be.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
The statistics appear to demonstrate so.
So you have statistics that are actually relevant and not outdated?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Harrier, it seems to me that you have spent almost your entire time in this thread defending your remarks...That should tell you something about the statements you make....Perhaps you are just practicing for your hopes of becoming a defense lawyer?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Harrier, it seems to me that you have spent almost your entire time in this thread defending your remarks...That should tell you something about the statements you make....Perhaps you are just practicing for your hopes of becoming a defense lawyer?
If my statements weren't mischaracterized then I wouldn't have to spend that time - now would I.

Look at what DC did - apparently she really did think that I meant something else then what I said - I don't think that she was being malicious - but it is a perfect example of how schemas can get in the way of comprehension.

I was very clear that a woman doesn't need any other reason to physically defend herself other then self preservation - and DC erroneously processed that as meaning that a woman should get married.

That is the kind of misinformation that I have to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies