Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I'm not talking about reality shows, although there is always someone upset about them because of the image they portray of whatever group the show is about. I am talking about people of other groups who basically stereotype and insult others. Simply wearing a sombrero and a poncho is not offensive. When people dress up in black face or dress up as Mexicans and hold up signs about mowing lawns, it is offensive. If I dress up like an orthodox Jew and hold up a sign that says something about being cheap or stingy, would that be offensive? Or how about if I dress up as an Asian and say that I will work for a penny an hour. How about I paint my face white and hold up a sign that says "The world is mine and if you question that I'll ignore you, site crime stats and tell you that you want free stuff." Is any of that offensive? I think so. It may not offend me personally, but I am considerate enough not to do things that I know will offend others.
I get that....but everything you just mentioned I've seen or heard on comedy shows.

So why is it ok if a black comedian makes a joke about white face? (eddie murphy did this in a sketch)

I guess if this was done as some sort of sorority skit or joke it's different?

Basically, the double-standard appears to be in full-force here. If most of the gals in the picture were asian or black is it as big of problem? If it's blacks making slanty eyes is it a huge issue? (Please note that a black espn guy has done this....and not as a joke either.....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I have no doubt they'll all grow up to be really nice stepford wives and think back on this and snicker every time Pablo and Ricardo come to mow the nice, big lawn of their pretty Colonial, while their husband is at work doing his secretary.
Sexist pig.

Wow, um girls go to college to land a man.....please join is in this century any time it's convenient for you.

Pretty much what you just did there, without joking, was ironic as HELL.

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,320,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I get that....but everything you just mentioned I've seen or heard on comedy shows.

So why is it ok if a black comedian makes a joke about white face? (eddie murphy did this in a sketch)

Basically, the double-standard appears to be in full-force here. If most of the gals in the picture were asian or black is it as big of problem? If it's blacks making slanty eyes is it a huge issue? (Please note that a black espn guy has done this....and not as a joke either.....)
You don't seem to understand the fundamental difference that those comedy shows are that they are ENTERTAINMENT. These girls were representing a national panhellenic organization and EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION.

There is a big difference for instance if I throw a private Mexican themed party with panchod and sombreros at home with friends it wouldnt be as bad (yet still ignorant) as compared to if my company decided to throw a Mexican themed party at work where we are all in ponchos. Shouldn't be hard to understand why one is deemed more unacceptable than the other. Not saying its ok either way, but it's worse when you're representing some type of entity.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I wonder if this is a conservative sorority? And I do see a hispanic looking gal in the front?

There is nothing wrong with this photo.
I guess it is ok to be liberal comedian and talk .....rape jokes about white minor conservative children.
I am willing to wager there is more than one minority in that photo,and I do agree with you about one thing,I hate the double standard and absolute hate jokes that sometimes come from liberal comedians and everyone just laughs and laughs and has no problem with it...now I do think this photo is downright stupid...just stupid in general and not funny at all...but as a latino do I take offense...meh not really...believe me I have seen/heard worse oddly enough from fellow minorities.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,150 times
Quote:

Based on what I have seen on this forum, you come across as a pretty fair person most of the time, but when it comes to race you are not. It is obvious that some of your pet peeves are unwarranted instances of people playing the race card, and double standards when it comes to race. Personally, I can't speak for everyone, but I do not condone double standards in my house

About a month and a half ago, my eldest son got into a physical altercation with a white classmate who posted on Facebook that he thinks all n***ers should be hung from trees. My son commented on his status and told him in so many words that he was going to say this to the wrong person one day and get his a** beat. The kid confronted him and said he wanted to fight, so they did. This was someone my son had known since middle school (he's in high school now). When my son told me about the fight, which took place after school hours and was not witnessed by any adult or authority figure, I told him that I was disappointed. I told him that he should not have resorted to physical violence and that he cannot fight every person who makes racially charged statements. I also told him that he should not let one word hold so much power and that the best way to combat racism in this day and age (for the umpteenth time since I have said this many times on this forum and in real life) is to excel. I told him not to let this incident affect his perception or judgement of white people and to always look at people as individuals, because this kid does not represent all white people.

I have had many discussions about race with my children. Not because I bring it up, but because it comes up due to their experiences outside of the home. I have had to let them know at times that things that they have said were offensive. They are products of their environment. They learn things outside of the home, but when they bring certain things here, I feel that it is my job as a parent to teach them. I make no exceptions when it comes to bigotry. I don't care if the target is Asian, Latino, White or Black (and yes there is bigotry toward blacks from other blacks), I don't tolerate it. I remind them that they should never stoop to the level of a bigot by responding to bigotry with more bigotry because when they do so, they are offending every person that belongs to that group. Some parents may laugh it off, ignore it or may be oblivious because they don't talk to their children, not me.

I don't know about the ESPN guy, but I cringe every time I see people do things like that. I don't feel the need to complain, or become outraged every time I see it, but when it is a topic of discussion, my opinion is the same each and every time, the same as it is in this thread. Certain things are offensive and if you don't know the difference, you should probably keep your mouth shut and refrain from making statements about specific ethnic groups. It isn't just about being PC, it is about co-existing and being considerate of other human beings.

As for you, if you are going to complain about people playing the race card, double standards, or feel the need to remind blacks that blacks kill blacks more than whites kill blacks every time Trayvon Martin is brought up, then you should also have an issue with racism. If you truly were a fair person, you would have just as much of an issue with racism as you do with people playing the race card when they shouldn't. Without racism, there is no race card, no double standard and no outrage on either side. Honestly, before I clicked the thread and saw the title, I actually thought this was going to be something someone overreacted to, but when I came in and saw the picture, I felt that it was offensive. It wasn't the ponchos, the sombreros, or the moustaches. It was the negative stereotype. They crossed a line when the decided to make those idiotic signs.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
St. Patty's day is personified by Irish Americans.

What if a black, mexican, or Asian fraternity/sorority had a "dress like an Irishman" party, depicting the Irish as poor, slovenly, FOB beggers like were they described more than half a century ago?

What if in the middle of one of those photos, the mexican, black or asian, dressed like an Irishman holding up a sign that read "Irish need not a apply" with a big Irish grin on their face?

I wonder if the Irish American community would be offended? How many of them would be defending the fraternity and sorority's right to "free speech" and regaling their behavior in playful innocence?

Like I said, for what it's worth--sometimes it's a tit for tat that's needed to open up the eyes of some people.
You are delusional if you think people would care.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Based on what I have seen on this forum, you come across as a pretty fair person most of the time, but when it comes to race you are not. It is obvious that some of your pet peeves are unwarranted instances of people playing the race card, and double standards when it comes to race. Personally, I can't speak for everyone, but I do not condone double standards in my house

About a month and a half ago, my eldest son got into a physical altercation with a white classmate who posted on Facebook that he thinks all n***ers should be hung from trees. My son commented on his status and told him in so many words that he was going to say this to the wrong person one day and get his a** beat. The kid confronted him and said he wanted to fight, so they did. This was someone my son had known since middle school (he's in high school now). When my son told me about the fight, which took place after school hours and was not witnessed by any adult or authority figure, I told him that I was disappointed. I told him that he should not have resorted to physical violence and that he cannot fight every person who makes racially charged statements. I also told him that he should not let one word hold so much power and that the best way to combat racism in this day and age (for the umpteenth time since I have said this many times on this forum and in real life) is to excel. I told him not to let this incident affect his perception or judgement of white people and to always look at people as individuals, because this kid does not represent all white people.

I have had many discussions about race with my children. Not because I bring it up, but because it comes up due to their experiences outside of the home. I have had to let them know at times that things that they have said were offensive. They are products of their environment. They learn things outside of the home, but when they bring certain things here, I feel that it is my job as a parent to teach them. I make no exceptions when it comes to bigotry. I don't care if the target is Asian, Latino, White or Black (and yes there is bigotry toward blacks from other blacks), I don't tolerate it. I remind them that they should never stoop to the level of a bigot by responding to bigotry with more bigotry because when they do so, they are offending every person that belongs to that group. Some parents may laugh it off, ignore it or may be oblivious because they don't talk to their children, not me.

I don't know about the ESPN guy, but I cringe every time I see people do things like that. I don't feel the need to complain, or become outraged every time I see it, but when it is a topic of discussion, my opinion is the same each and every time, the same as it is in this thread. Certain things are offensive and if you don't know the difference, you should probably keep your mouth shut and refrain from making statements about specific ethnic groups. It isn't just about being PC, it is about co-existing and being considerate of other human beings.

As for you, if you are going to complain about people playing the race card, double standards, or feel the need to remind blacks that blacks kill blacks more than whites kill blacks every time Trayvon Martin is brought up, then you should also have an issue with racism. If you truly were a fair person, you would have just as much of an issue with racism as you do with people playing the race card when they shouldn't. Without racism, there is no race card, no double standard and no outrage on either side. Honestly, before I clicked the thread and saw the title, I actually thought this was going to be something someone overreacted to, but when I came in and saw the picture, I felt that it was offensive. It wasn't the ponchos, the sombreros, or the moustaches. It was the negative stereotype. They crossed a line when the decided to make those idiotic signs.
A few points:

1) I take a UNIVERSAL view of racism, I don't play favorites....probably because I have a cornucopia of races as friends and fyi my SO is mostly mexican. What that means is that I don't get that bent out of shape by stuff like this which IS IN POOR TASTE (as previously noted) but it's nothing worse than I see all the time in society. The only reason we are kicking this around is because it's mostly rich white girls acting young and dumb. See, I am playing it fair because if it were a blacks only fraternity making slanty eyes you wouldn't have this uproar. I guess I just look at this as some sort of bad tasteless joke and not something like denying people jobs due to race, unequal legal protection, profiling and so on and so forth.

2) Since you brought up TM, let me ask you a question. Why in the TM scandal was the idiot Zimmerman called "white" but now when we have a sorority of (mostly) white girls....they are racist for making fun of mexicans who are now "not white"? My ONLY disagreements with the TM saga were that Zimmerman wasn't initially charged when he should have been and additionally that his motivation was racial and people and news orgs like NBC were falling all over themselves to make it a race issue. The real problem there are idiots like Zimmerman and the horrible SYG laws but that all got buried in a faux race crisis between a "white" guy his black victim.

3) So basically, I'm not the one condoning a double standard and sinking into the mud to pillory these girls and call them things like white supremists. I'm treating them the same dang way and not checking their ethnicity to decide if I should wave it off as stupid or some more sinister act. Please note that society as a whole does NOT do this, I like to think I'm maybe ahead of the curve on this one as I don't excoriate one racial group and then turn around and give another a free pass.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
People are saying "oh if it was the next door neighbor no one would care but they represent blah blah blah"

But the article didn't say it was posted on the schools website or the sorority website or that when they posted it they identified the school or the sorority.

So it sounds like a group of girls went to a halloween party, took a pic and put it online. Some busybody recognized some of the girls and made a big deal out of it.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
People are saying "oh if it was the next door neighbor no one would care but they represent blah blah blah"

But the article didn't say it was posted on the schools website or the sorority website or that when they posted it they identified the school or the sorority.

So it sounds like a group of girls went to a halloween party, took a pic and put it online. Some busybody recognized some of the girls and made a big deal out of it.
Exactly. Nobody "represents" anyone/anything but themselves unless they are getting paid to be a spokesperson. And this was clearly a personal photo, not the cover of the sorority recruitment handbook or the college catalog.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:

So why is it ok if a black comedian makes a joke about white face?
(eddie murphy did this in a sketch)

Do you really need that explained to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies