Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Each indentured servant would have their fare across the Atlantic paid in full by their master. A contract was written that stipulated the length of service — typically five years. The servant would be supplied room and board while working in the master's fields. Upon completion of the contract, the servant would receive "freedom dues," a pre-arranged termination bonus. This might include land, money, a gun, clothes or food. On the surface it seemed like a terrific way for the luckless English poor to make their way to prosperity in a new land. Beneath the surface, this was not often the case. Only about 40 percent of indentured servants lived to complete the terms of their contracts. Female servants were often the subject of harassment from their masters. A woman who became pregnant while a servant often had years tacked on to the end of her service time.
Well, there is a difference. White indentured servants didn't have to make the voyage if they didn't want to. Indentured servitude was a choice. A slave didn't have a choice. As for many indentured servants dying, you might want to consider this. Indentured servants coming from Scotland and other parts of the UK were not used to the hot, humid climate of the South, and this might have been a factor. And in the slave trade, for every 100 slaves that were being transported from Africa, 40 percent died before reaching the New World.

Digital History

Female slaves were often raped by their masters. And here is the difference between indentured servitude and slavery. Indentured servitude was temporary. Slavery was permanent, and if you tried to escape, you might get killed. And think about this. If slavery was "not that bad", then why were there so many slave rebellions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then explain to me why average Black people on the street are getting killed. Do you have any idea how many times we see stories like this in the Chicago area? And this wasn't even in the city. It was in the suburbs.
Popular 14-year-old shot to death in Evanston - Chicago Tribune

With photo:
Dajae Coleman,14, Fatally Shot
You are saying "the average". However, averages do not take into account individuals. And at that party, who was that kid around? What that kid around someone who was a hood rat? That might be one of the biggest differences. I, a Black man, could invite alot of Black people to a party and my house, and there would be no shootings. You know why? Because I know who to invite and not to invite. Anyone who has a history of violent criminal behavior or hood rat behavior isn't coming to my party. I know how to screen for party guests, of any race.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not really. If I don't live in those parts of Chicago
Read my last post. The gun homicides aren't limited to "those parts of Chicago."

Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not really. If I don't live in those parts of Chicago, then my concern isn't going to be about "wearing the wrong colors". If I live in a bad neighborhood, and I can afford it, I'm getting out.

Profiling isn't going to stop gang members. Gang members don't care, so they would so much as likely kill police officers. I agree with middle-aged-mom that stop-and-frisk won't work. A military presence works better than profiling.

In my life, profiling has never kept my family safe. My father has been pulled over by the police quite a few times in the suburbs of Atlanta. That didn't keep me from getting jumped by fellow Black teenagers one summer night. It didn't keep me from getting assaulted by White teenagers either. Criminals are not the ones who care. Law-abiding people care because they AREN'T breaking the law.
The sad thing is that there is "profiling" that goes on by the gangs too.

My buddy (black) grew up on S. Stoney in the highrises just west of the museum of science and industry.

I've gone and picked him up there and when I walk in everyone just assumes I'm a parole officer, cop etc.

My buddy has said that if both of us were to try to walk through another neighborhood, he'd be at much greater risk as he might be considered a rival gang member more readily than me.

A lot of good kids get shot up for no reason because some idiot *thinks* they might be someone else or in a rival gang etc.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Read my last post. The gun homicides aren't limited to "those parts of Chicago."
I posted the link to the Chicago murder map earlier. Austin for example has 40 murders a year while Lincoln Park only has 1. Sure, you can have an incident here or there but there is no mystery where the crap is hitting the fan around Chicago....west side....south side....

Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, Wrigley? Pretty dang safe.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 AM

734 posts, read 933,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
In truth America needs to take back their communities and should be ashamed for letting some areas get as bad as they have.

Notice how crack cocaine was a black epidemic? It's widely known that organized crime targeted black communities. It devastated black communities in the 80's.

Years of oppression and racism. The social images the media feeds us black men (which are controlled by white men). The inferior schools.

There's issues that black Americans need to take ownership of and theirs issues that America needs to take ownership of.

The same could be said for impoverished rural white areas. Or impoverished areas of any racial makeup.
America should be ashamed, but black men (as a collective group) should also be ashamed as well. Just because someone markets a certain way of life to you, doesn't mean that you have to accept and validate it. Based on the evidence, Crack Cocaine was certainly targeted to low-income black neighborhoods; but many could have decided NOT to use it and/or sell it.

I grew up in a middle class black community, and attended elite universities for college and grad school. Throughout my schooling, I was offered drugs and plenty of alcohol, but I ALWAYS declined, and distanced myself from individuals who engaged in those practices. Of course I could have accepted the drugs, dropped out of school, and experienced a complete downward spiral in life, but I've always been a free thinking. I would never pollute my mind and body with drugs, and yes that includes nicotine, and alcohol as well.

So at the end of the day, each individual has the the ultimate responsibility to simply do the right thing. Of course I fully understand that "doing the right thing" becomes very difficult when a person hasn't been taught right from wrong, or when the lines between the two are transfixed and neighborhoods embrace and welcome destructive activities as normative practices.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, far too many are heavily influenced by their neighborhood's pathological culture which has essentially normalized "baby mommas & baby daddies" as perfectly fine and acceptable.
There is something else to consider. This phenomenon you're talking about isn't really about race. It's about "what happened to shot gun weddings"? I thought about this last night. The reason households without the father around are being perpetuated by some people is because shotgun weddings are no longer the normal. If a man got his girlfriend pregnant, the father of the pregnant daughter would make the couple get married, aka "shot gun wedding". Nowadays, with more children growing up in households without the father around, the phenomenon of "shot gun weddings" has basically dwindled alot.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
This was before you posted it. And I also mentioned that profiling never kept me safe. It never kept me from getting jumped.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I am from Chicago.

Do any of you even know what is causing the gun violence?
Criminals

Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
It's working out well for them. They want Obama supporters to have guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies