Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I sure hope the o.p. never pulls another stunt like this one. I hope the absolute drubbing he has received from previous posters on both sides of the military/civilian divide will convince him to let this particular sleeping dog lie! I am very concerned about an issue that I have not seen mentioned in this thread. Admittedly I have been so incensed... so outraged by the sheer audacity of the o.p. in suggesting that more of America's youth, talent and vitality be sacrificed to serve the ends of nameless and faceless Global Capitalists that I may have skipped pages here and there... but there is this: What the hell is going on inside America's military culture when more soldiers are killing themselves than are killed by the enemy??!! What the hell kind of recruitment angle is that??!! What is going to become of the tens of thousands of badly maimed men and a growing number of women... ... You just may have gone too far this time Old Soldier. You are a textbook example of why one should not ignore the off kilter in our midst. They feed on tolerance and repay it with violent assaults on our person or on our sensibilities. If ever there was a FAILED thread, this one is it.

H

Someone did dredge that topic up, but no one has talked about the military trying to cover up the increasing instances of womyn being raped while they are serving. A bunch of macho, horny, deviant, self-centered, narcissitic guys and ladies who have not been a part of the military for very long. Very sad, sorry, I don't want to be a part of an organization that keeps sweeping rapes under the rug so as not to sully the good name of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Better to fight them over there than over here!

(Just don't ask me or my kids to be the ones doing the fighting.)
Even better, pick a fight over there, so we can all fight about it afterwards over here. Not a good way to stay mentally healthy as a nation, but it's great for the arms industry.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Hmmm... Well we don't massacre people in genocidal sprees any more...
Maybe not in a direct attempt at genocide but we have continue to massacre people in most of our military actions.

In the war with Mexico we had soldiers so disgusted with what our army was doing that they switched sides.

In the Philippines some of the massacres were so horrible but when people complained Theodore Roosevelt said they were no worst then what took place at Wounded Knee as if that was a standard to be looked up to as being ok.

Lets not forget we fire bombed innocent civilian cities in Japan and Germany that had no military value, dropped the bomb on two cities in Japan while Japan was trying to surrender.

We killed around three million Vietnamese with countless carpet bombings, I believe it was a lot more than we used in WWII, we also used cluster bombs to destroy villages with villagers still in them, we used napalm and agent orange to destroy their forests and farm land. We even screwed with the natural weather by seeding the clouds.

Latin America in the 70's/ 80's we backed and trained some of the worst right wing dictators who killed hundred of thousands of indigenous people which included wiping out whole villages.

In the Middle East again we put into power and back to this day ruthless dictators that torture and kill their people and gave Saddam chemical weapons which he used on his enemies and his own people.
And we continue to to kill and injure civilians in Iraq/Afghanistan, some estimates are well over a million.
What do you call Obama's drone strikes that have killed hundreds of innocent civilians, and the double taps where after the first strike and family and rescue workers go to the site to help they hit them again with drones, is that not massacring people?

We killed 500,000 children with our sanctions on Iraq.

Madeleine Albright Defends Mass-Murder of iraqi Children (500,000 Children dead) - YouTube

Last edited by ted08721; 01-08-2013 at 11:32 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post

We killed 500,000 children with our sanctions on Iraq.
Not genocide...

Just low down, dirty murder.

That IS an improvement though haha.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Even better, pick a fight over there, so we can all fight about it afterwards over here. Not a good way to stay mentally healthy as a nation, but it's great for the arms industry.
It's also great for safety. Let's fight them over there now so we don't have to fight them here later. See if you proactively stop terrorists from getting organized and armed in the Middle East, then you don't have to organized armed terrorists in America. See how that works?

That being said, I do not support the wars. But I think the issue is a bit more complicated than simply fuelling the arms industry. There are legitimate arguments on both sides.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
There is nothing more prideful and patriotic than having the honor to serve the United States in the Armed Forces. I did for 20 years and wouldn't take anything back. Wearing the uniform was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. Today our nations young men and women lack morals and good values. Many are wimps and cowards. They lack respect for themselves and for our nations veterans. Our veterans have earned unbridled respect and we OWE THEM our gratitude. Many of our nations youth are lost in a society of moral decay created by liberalism that has spawned out of control political correctness. They lack pride and what it is to have honor. I want to say to many posters here that who are parents to talk to your kids and encourage them to join the military and take a oath to defend the Constitution. It's a great way to learn discipline. To see the world. To make friends. To learn a "trade". To get a guaranteed home loan and to get education benefits.

And did I mention, "Self confidence"? You would be doing them a favor and this nation a favor. Wouldn't it be great if everyone had to do mandatory time in the military? I think it would. So again, encourage your kid at a early age and prep them for the benefits of being a military soldier. You would never regret it. Our nation would never regret it.
I wish all our politicians think like you. Unfortunate, they have no problem sending other people's kids to die, but not their own.

While, I don't like McCain, but at the very least, he did served the country.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I wish all our politicians think like you. Unfortunate, they have no problem sending other people's kids to die, but not their own.

While, I don't like McCain, but at the very least, he did served the country.
The soldiers that committed the massacre at My Lei served their country too!

Oh... wait...

Old 01-11-2013, 06:43 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,291,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Someone did dredge that topic up, but no one has talked about the military trying to cover up the increasing instances of womyn being raped while they are serving. A bunch of macho, horny, deviant, self-centered, narcissitic guys and ladies who have not been a part of the military for very long. Very sad, sorry, I don't want to be a part of an organization that keeps sweeping rapes under the rug so as not to sully the good name of it.
Basically there are two types of people who are attracted to the military.
One is the psychopath who views the military as the perfect opportunity to do what society will not allow at home and that is to have complete control over other people to the degree of murdering them if they choose.
The other is the kind of person who has little opportunity in the regular world and possibly even allows themselves to buy into the flag draped propaganda surrounding military service.
They are the people who are most at risk as they come to face the fact of what the reality of the world really is.
The military teaches you quickly that the world is a very unfair and depraved place where the worst of mankind are usually in charge and making the decisions.
If you are an idealistic person and you come to the conclusion that the military is simply a microcosm of the world as a whole, it can be devastatingly demoralizing.
It is understandable how a person with compassion and conscience could decide they no longer wanted to be a part of such a world.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's also great for safety. Let's fight them over there now so we don't have to fight them here later. See if you proactively stop terrorists from getting organized and armed in the Middle East, then you don't have to organized armed terrorists in America. See how that works?

That being said, I do not support the wars. But I think the issue is a bit more complicated than simply fuelling the arms industry. There are legitimate arguments on both sides.
You cannot stop them from getting organized by "proactively" killing a bunch of them "over there".

You've been doing that for darn near a century now and look where it's gotten you. You're ignoring the obvious when you even suggest such a stupid strategy in the 21st century has even the slightest potential for any degree of success at all.

They'll simply re-trench for a few years then re-emerge even stronger and bolder with another strategy that takes you completely by surprise. Then your military complex will crank up the rhetoric again to start the idiotic, profit motivated cycle all over again,

WHEN THE HELL ARE YOU EVER GOING TO LEARN??

Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

WHEN THE HELL ARE YOU EVER GOING TO LEARN??
When wars stop being profitable for the companies that are owned by or invested in by our dear leaders???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies