Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 2,818 times

Advertisements

Join the military to fight another war for the Jews? No thanks.

Just because powerful lobbyist groups like AIPAC and Neo-cons want to get our young men and women to fight their wars doesn't make it 'patriotic' it makes us brainwashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
My husband enlisted in the Army after 9-11. He did so for a variety of reasons, some "patriotic" and some personal. He had a particular respect for WWII and Korean War veterans like his grandfather. Unfortunately as soon as he joined his unit, he found that the reality of the modern military is very different than how everyone likes to describe the American military of the past. Instead of instilling morality and values and creating a culture that represents the best of what America is and can be, the military of today nurtures the worst aspects of American society and our culture.

In WWII and in the Vietnam era, there was conscription, which meant that a more representative cross section of society was in the military as opposed to the all-volunteer service we have today. In order to get people to sign up today, the Armed Forces use the same techniques as advertisers and entertainers to lure young people into a false reality in which their selfishness and narcissism is a virtue. They promote materialism by recruiting economically disadvantaged youths and offering them large signing bonuses and greater salary opportunities than they would otherwise have. When these young, inexperienced Americans are thrown into the modern military with this sense of inflated self worth as a result of basic training, as well as what they perceive to be new found wealth, they are easily brought into a culture of debauchery and dehumanization that most people would find appalling.

This is not an accident. In WWII there was a big problem with people actually pulling the trigger and killing other human beings. Along the way, some genius psychologists figured out that a military force would do its job of killing, raping, and pillaging better if it was not comprised of moral individuals who have respect for human life. Thus, they started using techniques such as trading out bulls-eye targets for pop up human form figures when training people how to shoot.

In a world where our country is on economic life support and any reduction in war or military spending is met with an army of lobbyists from the Defense industry, the only way to keep the corporate slimeballs fat and happy is to constantly wage meaningless and ridiculously expensive wars against tinpot dictators who we originally put in power in the first place! There WERE weapons of mass destruction in Iraq under Saddam Hussein. We know this because we have video footage from the 80s of Donald Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand as we armed him in his fight against Iran. The only way to keep the game going is to make sure that the people who are actually fighting the war have NO respect for the humanity of their "enemy" and NO clue as to what's really going on.

The military teaches and maintains a culture of dehumanization and ostracizes anyone who contradicts that culture. From my husband's experience, the only people who are edified by the modern military experience are those who recognize what is really happening and are able to fight against the odds and make it out to the other side.
This is, without question, the best post I have ever read on this board. It really ought to be pinned at the top of the forum.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:47 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,652 times
Nope. I do otherwise. It has been a long time since the military actually fought for any freedom or actually defended the Constitution.

There is no pride in serving the big banks and corporations. I used to feel like you do before and when I joined and well not anymore.

I am not the only Vet who discourages people from joining either. I know plenty.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
I only donate to charities that support veterans or active duty soldiers. They deserve our honor and respect as citizens for their sacrifices for our nation. You might not agree with the politicians and what they order these young men and women to do, but they do their job and they do it well and for that I will respect and do anythign I can to assist them for the rest of my life.
Please do explain how their senseless killing of life half the way around the world deserves our honor and respect and how it is a sacrifice for our country?

Old 01-05-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Man, there's a lot of hatred and bitterness - and a bunch of other things - being vented here in this forum. I can certainly understand and agree with the disrespect for the politicians that put us in those wars (Vietnam, Gulf War II, Afghanistan, etc.) But to callously demean the men and women in uniform with such harsh criticism is completely unwarranted.

As far as the recruitment goes, some of you are so way off base, i wonder at where you get your ideas. I teach in a public high school with one of the best Marine Corps Jr. ROTC programs in the nation. Those kids go on to join not just the USMC but all other branches of the military. And very few are the immigrant, white/black trash, socioeconomically disadvantaged teens many of you are talking about. I have ties to other local ROTC programs and the consensus is the same. Yes, there is a significant few that join for no other reason that they have no other options. But many are finding that the GI bill has come in handy for college tuition & that their job training in the military has helped them get jobs in the civilian world (not all service members are infantry soldiers). I have personally seen 5 students from my school enter the military under pressure from parents. This sounds bad, but the students had no intrinsic discipline whatsoever. They had behavior problems. 4 have made a career out it and the other finished up 10 years and is going to college. They found what they were missing in the military (that's not to say that their parents were useless.)

If you take the politics out of the discussion - which I think the OP would like for you to do - then his ideas are not without merit. A 3-year stint can be good for:
  1. a young teen unsure of what they want to do with their life. They haven't emotionally &/or mentally matured enough to handle college, but could use the time wisely for developing skills, get $$$ for college, or simply finding out what they do want to do.
  2. developing a skilled work force. Regardless of what many of your think (that have never served) the military does need almost every job found in the civilian world. The military has to train these recruits to fill those positions, and consequently many can use those skills once back in the civilian life.
  3. developing a strong reserve force. Most of us feel it would never be needed, but don't forget that the first world war was called "the war to end all wars", so people can be wrong. It may never be used, but you know the saying: "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."
  4. instilling a sense of discipline in teens and young adults that - from a teacher and parent's perspective - is sorely missing from many (not all) of our young generation.
I know that the last decade of wars has soured many people's minds against the military, but I'd hope that people would have enough common sense to know the difference between the civilian politicians that get us into these messes and the men & women in uniform doing their jobs.
They should not be recruiting children to go fight in wars!

http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/node/3283

Last edited by ted08721; 01-05-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
I only donate to charities that support veterans or active duty soldiers. They deserve our honor and respect as citizens for their sacrifices for our nation. You might not agree with the politicians and what they order these young men and women to do, but they do their job and they do it well and for that I will respect and do anythign I can to assist them for the rest of my life.
I support Veteran groups also

Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,968 times
Americans have lost their connection to the country they live in. Please contact your representatives today to ask to restore the draft with no deferments.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
I used to think that every young person should do some military time, but after talking with people who have been in the military, I don't feel that way any longer.

The military is not what it once was. There is a reason why over 3,000 military men and woman have committed suicide. They are asked to perform atrocities on a daily basis that decent people would never even consider doing. The OP should do a little more investigation into what the current military is all about before making statements based upon his ignorance.

I would not wish military service on anyone these days. Now, that having been said, I would like to see every young person do some kind of national community service such as Peace Corps or Vista Volunteer.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
There is nothing more prideful and patriotic than having the honor to serve the United States in the Armed Forces. I did for 20 years and wouldn't take anything back. Wearing the uniform was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. Today our nations young men and women lack morals and good values. Many are wimps and cowards. They lack respect for themselves and for our nations veterans. Our veterans have earned unbridled respect and we OWE THEM our gratitude. Many of our nations youth are lost in a society of moral decay created by liberalism that has spawned out of control political correctness. They lack pride and what it is to have honor. I want to say to many posters here that who are parents to talk to your kids and encourage them to join the military and take a oath to defend the Constitution. It's a great way to learn discipline. To see the world. To make friends. To learn a "trade". To get a guaranteed home loan and to get education benefits.

And did I mention, "Self confidence"? You would be doing them a favor and this nation a favor. Wouldn't it be great if everyone had to do mandatory time in the military? I think it would. So again, encourage your kid at a early age and prep them for the benefits of being a military soldier. You would never regret it. Our nation would never regret it.
I applaud you, and thank you for that service. I have no regrets about my Navy service, and I sometimes wish I had made a career of it (but then I wouldn't have met my wife of 42 years). I learned electronics in the Navy, and spent many years in the field of electronics, both as a technician on the bench, and as a field service tech for a small Southern California Oceanographic instruments manufacturer.

While in the Navy, I loved being at sea! There was nothing like it. I was an ET aboard the USS Mt. McKinley AGC-7. We were a flagship (which meant we carried an Admiral). The Mt. McKinley was a communications ship, so we had tons of antenna's and radio equipment. I was a crypto tech.

My shipmates were like brothers to me, and I haven't forgotten any of them. I have made email contact with a couple of them, and we still communicate on occassion today.

The military is a wonderful experience, and I know some people locally today who are in the National Guard. One is a dentist (a female) and she has a private practice as well over in PA. My wife and I did a tile job for her. She has served in Afghanistan. She is proud and smart.

It is a great choice for any young person.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,519,129 times
Government mandated service to our country (I mean our government), no thanks. After reading the OP, I'm not sure if he wants a Communist or a Fascist government. We're already the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies