Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
That 'imperialistic war machine' as you disrespectfully put it protects you and this nation from tyranny.
As a vet and history buff I gotta point out that it has never been the military that protected us from tyranny.

It has always been the citizens. Whether citizens taking the fought to court or the streets. Or enlisting to fight. Its the citizens.

The fact that as a soldier you don't know that is... disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,930 times
Default Americans Need To Encourage Our Nations Young Men And Women To Join The Military And Establish Pride In Them

Hey, what about self-esteem?

Pride's OK, I guess, but what about self-esteem?

http://rense.com/general95/support.html

Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
As a vet and history buff I gotta point out that it has never been the military that protected us from tyranny.

It has always been the citizens. Whether citizens taking the fought to court or the streets. Or enlisting to fight. Its the citizens.

The fact that as a soldier you don't know that is... disturbing.
I asked about 5 pages back for an example of the military protecting us from a tyrant in the last 40 years and got nothing, except a reference to Saddam and Leonid Brezhnev.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:58 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I asked about 5 pages back for an example of the military protecting us from a tyrant in the last 40 years and got nothing, except a reference to Saddam and Leonid Brezhnev.
Typical...

Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
I'm a retired USAF combat veteran officer. I wouldn't encourage anybody to enlist in the US Armed Forces. After seeing the cowardly way that the US govt handled the attack on the USS Liberty & how they forget POWs & how they turn their backs on wounded vets & the war mongering by the US govt, nobody but brain dead morons like Democrats & Republicans would support that BS.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:01 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
That 'imperialistic war machine' as you disrespectfully put it protects you and this nation from tyranny.
You have got to give this a rest Army and put your military service in the past where it belongs.

Not every vet feels the same as you and many have a completely contrary view from being used and abused.

Using the military to protect or foster your financial interests abroad has become the hallmark of the American Military machine and that is a very great pity.

Reduce your military to protecting your shores and you'll have something. Patrolling the seas and skies is one thing but putting boots on ground in foreign countries that will not advance to any form of democracy if given two hundred years to practice. They think your political system is a display of weakness and that their tribal systems are superior. A MAN'S world if you will. Same thing you're pushing for young folks to join the military to gain pride and mention nothing of a sense of self worth or moral growth.

Last edited by BruSan; 01-05-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Apples and oranges.

A lot easier to convince people to drink a pint than to sacrifice their lives for oil profits
You think?

So do I take it that you are siding with Old Soldier on this issue?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
I only donate to charities that support veterans or active duty soldiers. They deserve our honor and respect as citizens for their sacrifices for our nation. You might not agree with the politicians and what they order these young men and women to do, but they do their job and they do it well and for that I will respect and do anythign I can to assist them for the rest of my life.
Why?
They apply for a job and they get paid for it.
There is no draft, they make choices.
We all do.

Military members and vets are not special.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:14 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
I would like to see the draft reinstituted maybe then people will speak out against going to war if their own children are in harms way. They can still refuse to fight, imagine if everyone refused to fight there would be no war...

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind... War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Old 01-06-2013, 05:29 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
I expected most replies would be flag-waving 'patriots' agreeing with the OP.
It is gratifying to see how many abhor the money-making military machine and realize what the real purposes of it is and how actual dis-regard it has for the lives, physical and mental welfare of those it is willing to sacrifice to support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies