U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
 
Location: 9851 Meadowglen Lane, Apt 42, Houston Texas
3,178 posts, read 1,691,982 times
Reputation: 368

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
Take the palm of your hand and push back on the front of the slide. Most semis, it only has to move 1/8" - 1/4" of an inch, then it won't fire. It's a safety device to prevent firing out of battery. The revolver cylinder grab and or web of your hand jammed in between the frame and hammer are old school. Can be traced back to decades ago and Police training when everyone carried a S&W Model 10 or 66.

Keep it filed in your head and in your grab bag. It could save your life.
A glock is an example of a handgun that can be fired without being at full lockout.

 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM
 
Location: 9851 Meadowglen Lane, Apt 42, Houston Texas
3,178 posts, read 1,691,982 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Come on now, obviously that is just Hollywood movie garbage. It would never work in real life
He's right for most semi automatics, they have a disconnecter activated at about that distance.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 35,187,772 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I've seen quite a few people link guns to masculinity and bravery. Are they correlated?
No.

Because of so many women who own and use guns.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
651 posts, read 522,558 times
Reputation: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
He's right for most semi automatics, they have a disconnecter activated at about that distance.
It was sarcasm. Take a peek at my other posts in here.

I do realize it is almost impossible to know if someone is joking or not, based on some of the outlandish sh-t that gets said in these forums on a regular basis
 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 PM
 
19,025 posts, read 22,217,105 times
Reputation: 7326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
Take the palm of your hand and push back on the front of the slide. Most semis, it only has to move 1/8" - 1/4" of an inch, then it won't fire. It's a safety device to prevent firing out of battery. The revolver cylinder grab and or web of your hand jammed in between the frame and hammer are old school. Can be traced back to decades ago and Police training when everyone carried a S&W Model 10 or 66.

Keep it filed in your head and in your grab bag. It could save your life.
Yeah I know these tech's but my hands are not what they used to be, nor are my wrists. Like lets say I try to do a push up, starting up, and begin to go down. At about 1/2 way I can't go down unless i want to snap every tendon in both wrists...

Assorted other 'old' hand damage as a foreign car tech of years has render what these hands can do as limited anymore.... I can drive a slide out of battery, but i can't keep it there.

better to shoot first and ask questions later.....


Uh oh
 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Suffolk, Va
3,029 posts, read 2,115,016 times
Reputation: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Most police are professionals. What's your point? You call the cops because there is a problem you can't solve yourself (whether or not most average people could solve these problems is not relevant, nor the topic of this conversation). The solving of this problem may involve using force, of which police have a couple of options. Deadly force, which is obviously the top of the heap, is what the cops bring to the table. Sure, there's arrest, too, but believe me, it doesn't deter many. You people call on cops to protect you from those who may need shooting, because they can't behave civilly in society. When I was a police officer, I PROUDLY wore that badge, taking that responsibility for those who couldn't or wouldn't bear it themselves. I hold nothing against someone who decides they cannot do that job, and would rather rely on professionals.

What I do take issue with (and in a big f'ing way) is when those same people seek to deny others the tools to responsibly protect themselves. Moreover, I have a serious problem with punishing everyone to the extent of depriving them of rights, because of misbehavior by a select few scumbags.
What an idiotic post! I have Never personally called the police because of someone who might need to be shot. Never been in such a situation. I call the police typically because I need an officer to defuse a problem which may escalate and cause me trouble if I react in a certain way. Dealing with loud neighbors, fender benders, and maybe an out of control drunk is as far as it's gone in my near 35 years. I've lived in several large cities and I've never been mugged or had my home robbed. I don't go looking for trouble like, say, George Zimmerman and I have a large dog protecting my home.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
651 posts, read 522,558 times
Reputation: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
What an idiotic post! I have Never personally called the police because of someone who might need to be shot. Never been in such a situation. I call the police typically because I need an officer to defuse a problem which may escalate and cause me trouble if I react in a certain way. Dealing with loud neighbors, fender benders, and maybe an out of control drunk is as far as it's gone in my near 35 years. I've lived in several large cities and I've never been mugged or had my home robbed. I don't go looking for trouble like, say, George Zimmerman and I have a large dog protecting my home.
What is idiotic is to think people who may need to be shot aren't loud neighbors, get in fender benders, or maybe become out of control drunks from time to time.

The point is that you don't know what you're dealing with.

It's telling that you say this mindset is idiotic, because that is the mindset of a police officer. Every day, every person they deal with, is someone who may end up needing to be shot. The fact that you can't see this, and would then denigrate someone for pointing it out to you, says much about you.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM
 
40 posts, read 35,335 times
Reputation: 19
You phrased this 'question' as an either/or all or nothing. It really depends on the gun owner/non owner in question. Shooting a gun won't replace testosterone, but it will give you a nice shot of adrenaline.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,233 posts, read 7,734,034 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Have you ever seen a limp-wristed individual with a gun?

Me either.
One of my best friends is, uh, "limp-wristed."

And he is quite fond of aiming long, hard weapons. And quite adept at handling them.

So I'm told.
 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Suffolk, Va
3,029 posts, read 2,115,016 times
Reputation: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
What is idiotic is to think people who may need to be shot aren't loud neighbors, get in fender benders, or maybe become out of control drunks from time to time.

The point is that you don't know what you're dealing with.

It's telling that you say this mindset is idiotic, because that is the mindset of a police officer. Every day, every person they deal with, is someone who may end up needing to be shot. The fact that you can't see this, and would then denigrate someone for pointing it out to you, says much about you.
No. You're just wrong and paranoid. If someone ended getting shot by police after any call I made I would have been shocked. For the most part, calling the police for me has been about covering my butt from allegations of assault or misconduct on my part, or to take reports after accidents. You don't have to be doing anything to find yourself in a life threatening situation, but odds are, you won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top