Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,677,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Good post but in all fairness, I think Columbus has a bit of an edge being the seat of state government and OSU.
Except Columbus' growth is not even from these sectors. Government is the second largest employment sector in Columbus and about to be number 3.

The city has an overall higher tax rate paid by its citizens than Cleveland and almost every other city in the US (it is the 3rd highest! by a study this year from H&R block) and yet is growing leaps and bounds and recovered from the recession like there wasn't one. The argument low tax equals growth isn't true. As liberal doesn't equal growth. Columbus is a fine example of that.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,416,312 times
Default The Conservative alternative is worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Tax revenue from the auto business, tax revenue from the boom that was Mo-Town.

Where did it go?

Generous retirement packages for municipal employees, who took the money and ran. Multiple cases of political scandal and theft.

It's my belief that when you, as an employee demand big pensions and health care retirement plans, you MUST continue living in that city post retirement. IF you choose to leave the city, you lose 1/2 of your benefits.

Those very same people who demanded these benefits at the cost to the taxpayer move to a low tax state the second they retire.

When you place demands on the taxpayer for Cadillac benefits, then move away and take that money with you, the tax base shrinks.

Make no excuses.....liberal policies killed Detroit.
Conservative policies are worse. Good ol boy networks would flourish, making those at the top richer, while everyone else goes to hell. Spending cuts galore with the expectation that people police themselves, cure themselves of diseases, put out their own fires, maintain their own public parks and public libraries, education their own, so on and so forth. Deregulation means racism can flourish unchecked. Taxes would be low, but fees would go through the roof. Foreign labor would be brought in to displace qualified Americans.

Of course we have the worst Congress in history urging cuts across the board AFTER George Bush. We're in a post George Bush world. He dug us in a HUGE hole that we can't CUT our way out of. How dare you pretend that your party has a history of success. Quite the opposite.

Detroit would be far, far worse were Conservative policies in force. It would've bled to death years ago.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:40 AM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
What is prudent about shuttering a polluting plant and passing the costs of cleaning up sites onto the Federal Government, State Government and local taxpayers?

Companies and executives who take the money and run and leave a dirt trail behind them is anything but ethical.
Ethical?

The ONLY concern of a corporation should be the BOTTOM LINE, NOT ethics, NOT morality, NOT people, NOT the environment, the BOTTOM LINE!

Ethical?

Pulleeeeeze!

This is 'Murican Bidness!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,577,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I'm not that educated on Detroit's history. But the entire state of Michigan has had problems since the carmakers started building cars using cheaper labor in other areas. A lot of cars are made in Mexico now. It's undeniable that the exodus of manufacturing from places like Flint and Detroit is the biggest reason for the failure of those cities. Almost all the middle class factory jobs are gone.

Also, this problem didn't happen overnight. Detroit has been circling the drain for decades; it's had a bad reputation for as long as I can remember.
Bingo! The auto industry moving overseas sure didn't help!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM

73,116 posts, read 62,771,018 times
Quote:
I agree, I was referring to those who want to point at only one factor (usually unions or blacks) as the sole cause of Detroit's tailspin while they so happily ignore things like companies that took all the $$$ they could and ran.
I've seen that pattern go as well. Detroit had some issues going back to the 1950s.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,678,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've seen that pattern go as well. Detroit had some issues going back to the 1950s.
There was a major race riot in Detroit in 1943. This bankruptcy is just one brick in a very large wall of problems in that city's history.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Except Columbus' growth is not even from these sectors. Government is the second largest employment sector in Columbus and about to be number 3.
I'd bet the city would fight tooth and nail to retain them though.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times
Quote:
Have they actually cut taxes? I know in NC they're cutting state income and corporate taxes but will begin taxing some services that were never taxed before. Remains to be seen who will benefit/pay but seems more like tax shifts than tax cuts.
Several times
Kasich: Tax changes will create Ohio jobs | www.daytondailynews.com

And he cut them again 2 weeks ago

Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 AM

5,514 posts, read 9,512,813 times
Quote:
Have they actually cut taxes? I know in NC they're cutting state income and corporate taxes but will begin taxing some services that were never taxed before. Remains to be seen who will benefit/pay but seems more like tax shifts than tax cuts.
Yeah, the tax burden has been shifted to the local communities.

From Wednesday's paper: Youngstown News, State raises doubts about Liberty's future
Quote:
Officials blame severe cuts in state tax revenue, the elimination of estate
taxes and a reduction in the property tax base for a 22.4 percent cut in the
township’s general-obligation fund budget
Quote:
According to policymattersohio.org, a nonprofit research organization based in
Columbus, Liberty incurred a $389,000 loss in local government aid as part of a
$1 billion state budget cut for 2012 and 2013

Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 AM

29,615 posts, read 16,605,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Tax revenue from the auto business, tax revenue from the boom that was Mo-Town.

Where did it go?

Generous retirement packages for municipal employees, who took the money and ran. Multiple cases of political scandal and theft.

It's my belief that when you, as an employee demand big pensions and health care retirement plans, you MUST continue living in that city post retirement. IF you choose to leave the city, you lose 1/2 of your benefits.

Those very same people who demanded these benefits at the cost to the taxpayer move to a low tax state the second they retire.

When you place demands on the taxpayer for Cadillac benefits, then move away and take that money with you, the tax base shrinks.

Make no excuses.....liberal policies killed Detroit.
What About Jefferson County Alabama then ? Completely controlled by Republicans, population of 650,000 and it went bankrupt and up until Detroit, it was the largest one in history ( and if the population decline figures are right about Detroit, it may still be the biggest).

none of you mention that, or maybe you just didnt know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies