Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 06:43 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
My honest opinion...

I think they just didn't want to lose to some grimy black American trying to pull a fast one.

That's just me...

I believe if that girl was up there dancing bachata, singing merengue and showing and proving...these mothers would have had no issues. I could be totally wrong.

I'd also like to take it back to the J Lo and Longoria examples....two polar opposites , so it seems, when it comes to the perceived significance of their respective cultures. One marginalized the native tongue while the other went to great lengths to verse herself in it and embraced it.
in all seriousness, what did these "grimy" people have to gain by entering this particular pageant? you know there are general pageants for all kids and pageants for black kids? what did they have to gain by paying money to put here in this specific contest? what probably happened is that once they were asked to provide paperwork they couldn't obtain it or it was just too difficult to get. as someone mentioned earlier, some people from other countries don't have birth certificates and maybe the grandmother was here illegally.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:07 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
in all seriousness, what did these "grimy" people have to gain by entering this particular pageant? you know there are general pageants for all kids and pageants for black kids? what did they have to gain by paying money to put here in this specific contest? what probably happened is that once they were asked to provide paperwork they couldn't obtain it or it was just too difficult to get. as someone mentioned earlier, some people from other countries don't have birth certificates and maybe the grandmother was here illegally.
That is something you will have to ask Jakiyah's mother..

The logic behind entering children in these pageants are beyond me in the first place...they are totally superficial (a bigger picture that went lost on the OP who is embroiled in the COMPLEXion aspect).

Any women who enters their child into these contest have, IMO, issues. In Jakiyahs mothers case, those issues appear to have extended a little further than the others.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 PM

308 posts, read 500,586 times
Quote:
Haitians are latinos geographically? Then they aren't Hispanic.

This is semantics...

This little girl is not Hispanic and she cannot prove s h e is Latin American..

In regards to Eva Longoria...what lands that are "part of the USA" in the 1500's?? There was no USA.

The name "Longoria" has hispanic roots. That alone affords her some luxury of benefit of the doubt as opposed to miss JAKIYAH MCKOY.

Lastly, don't build strawmen...I never said that speaking spanish is the "main qualification" of being Latino. I said language is one of the most, and probably the most, significant attribute of ones heritage.

If you disagree...I'd love for you to stand in the room with a Croatian and a Slovak and tell me which was which without them opening their mouth.

Can you do so with a Jamaican and a Haitian?

How about some Dominicans and Haitians?

Japanese and Korean?
I'm not building strawmans anymore than you have and are and continue to build strawmans in your argument. However I'm not building any strawmans. I'm simply addressing your points with other equally valid statements and question raising points

Next aren't you perpetuating stereotypes based on the idea of having a certain name? I get what you are saying but name is not a sole factor.

Next what is Latino geographically? Latino is not really a geographical thing. I mean Phillipines is often included as part of Latinidad and Hispanidad since it was a Spanish colony for about 4 centuries.

What makes one Latino is about the official language. Equitoreal Guinea is the only independent nation in Africa with Spanish as an official language. Haitians are Latin because of the Latin roots of French. Tons of nations in Africa, Asia, and Australasia and Oceania and Pacific islands are Latin due to influence and colonization from Romance language speaking places in these lands.

Take this for example, The Spanish American war weakened Spain's hold on Puerto Rico, Cuba, Phillipines, Guam, and other Pacific islands and other nations worldwide. It was the treaty following that made these places independent from Spain, yet ppl today quickly label Puerto Rico, Cuba as Hispanic and Latinos, but are hesitant at times in labelling Phillipines, Guam, Samoa, and other pacific islanders and nations as Hispanics and/or Latinos/Latins.

You have some arrogant nerve to come out and outright boldly claim that the girl is not Hispanic at all! YOU have no proof of such. Let's at least wait until we have all of the facts. So you can't ASSume that she doesn't have any Hispanic in her at all!

Next, there was NO Mexico in the 1500s. In fact Spanish colonies went through a succession and series of different names for each colonial administrative unitary regions through different periods of colonial times and borders were always being disputed and changed. The point I was trying to make though is that Eva Longoria's lineage on both sides can be traced back to lands that are today constituted as integral parts of the USA. Longoria as a name resembles some African names and even Italian names or variants of it. Many groups thar were not Spanish that came to Spanish colonies would pledge allegiance to the Spanish crown and settle in Spanish colonies.

Also you didn't answer my question and my points regarding Beyonce Knowles. Would you consider her to be a Latina given her heritage and background and family history and origins? If so, why or why not? Be honest.

Don't put words in my mouth and make strawman arguments. You know very well what I meant. The point I was illustrating with you about your belief in language being the main factor was due to the fact that, it's not necessarily soley about language as much as it is about descending from or having a parent coming from a certain culture or place or having ancestors who spoke a certain cultural language. Food and music traditions and even dress styles are important tangible cultural and/or perceptible identifiers.

If Jakiyah had a lighter skin tone would you automatically accept her as Latino? Is your skepticalness of her being Latina based on her having a darker skin color?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:

This is semantics...

In regards to Eva Longoria...what lands that are "part of the USA" in the 1500's?? There was no USA.

The name "Longoria" has hispanic roots. That alone affords her some luxury of benefit of the doubt as opposed to miss JAKIYAH MCKOY.

Lastly, don't build strawmen...I never said that speaking spanish is the "main qualification" of being Latino. I said language is one of the most, and probably the most, significant attribute of ones heritage.

If you disagree...I'd love for you to stand in the room with a Croatian and a Slovak and tell me which was which without them opening their mouth.

Japanese and Korean?
As for a Croatian and Slovak there are things that can make you tell them apart. Same with Japanese and Koreans. Same with Jamaicans and Haitians. However keep in mind that this would apply to those directly from or raised in the respective root nations or places of these cultures. It would have to do with other factors such as knowing where their parents or lineage comes from.

Names can apply but as we established it's not always reliable. I'm usually good at telling what ppl may be or are by looking at them. I'm also good at spotting what peoples mixes are. But accent and speech patterns or certain behaviors are things I pick up on to make a good educated guess on what ppl are.

I even have a knack for correcting people on what they are if they have falsely classified themselves and their identities. I'm just good like that. Mind you this applies most of the time. I usually just ask what ppl are if I'm curious or if it comes up appropriately. Learning is the most important thing.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:

This is semantics...

Japanese and Korean?
At the end of the day being Latino/a when it comes to the USA is contingent upon a person having ancestors that came from places that were under the Latin sphere of influence, and it also includes people that are mixed or generations removed from an ancestor that was "Latino/a".

Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
As for a Croatian and Slovak there are things that can make you tell them apart. Same with Japanese and Koreans. Same with Jamaicans and Haitians. However keep in mind that this would apply to those directly from or raised in the respective root nations or places of these cultures. It would have to do with other factors such as knowing where their parents or lineage comes from.

Names can apply but as we established it's not always reliable. I'm usually good at telling what ppl may be or are by looking at them. I'm also good at spotting what peoples mixes are. But accent and speech patterns or certain behaviors are things I pick up on to make a good educated guess on what ppl are.

I even have a knack for correcting people on what they are if they have falsely classified themselves and their identities. I'm just good like that. Mind you this applies most of the time. I usually just ask what ppl are if I'm curious or if it comes up appropriately. Learning is the most important thing.
Easy there, please.

Most people can self ID all they want. Tho it can be real messy if a pasty white skin person tries to claim "Kenyan" tho there ARE "anglo" Kenyans who are citizens of that country. OTOH: I see and especially hear a "Black" person from Ireland or England and I think "Irish" or "English"; NOT "Black". LOL

Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:

This is semantics...

Japanese and Korean?
Dominicans and Haitians have a lot of similarities and shared overlappings but there are certain things that differentiate them.

Also, in addition, another thing that I should note is that this is all political. In fact how do we know that this Jakiyah girl is even African American or of AA descent? She could also be of some type of West Indian descent. West Indians, and even Africans have not been given political platform to differentiate themselves as seperate groups of people from actual colonial African Americans of the USA, and Afro Latinos have this option and escape hatch due to the semantics of the Latino and even the Arab labels (as pertains to Afro Arabs).

Old 10-02-2013, 08:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
The mother....

The mother is...

The mother is the consent. The little girl is the victim.
You didn't respond as to why you used the term "grimy Black American". WTH? You are that full of hatred that you use the term "grimy" regarding an entire ethnic group for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Good thing she did because she could have never won this beauty pagent as a child for not being Hispanic enough
You don't know that and you can't prove that. Vanna White could have won.

As a matter of fact if you watch the Univision and Telemundo channels and networks, they have Nuestra Belleza Latina(s) beauty pageants and they always have white looking Latinas with blond hair and blue eyes. Barely any of them are even significantly mixed. In fact I think they even turn away darker skinned and mixed race Latinas from entering. Go look at the Latina channels. Many of the miss world pageants in various nations often only select white and lighter skinned Latinas.

I think 2010 was one year when the Miss Universe and Miss World pageants had a large selection of black women representing the different Latin American nations. I think almost all people selected in most Latin nations for 2010 were black Latina women.

I think ppl also fall for the stereotype of how certain nations should look so that colors peoples perceptions and stereotypes of what Latinos look like or how they should be.

Telemundo and Univision and their pageants are full of and cater to Spanish speaking white people!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Vanna White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vanna's sperm donor had a German last name. He might've been a white dude but born and raised in PR.
Her biological father could have been a white Puerto Rican. Puerto Rico has a lot of whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies