Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 09:02 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some arrive at 5:00 AM and remain planted until after dark.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/ny...-sit.html?_r=1

Geezers are a pox on a business.

A business is a business, not a social club. Once your business is conducted, leave and let other customers take your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 09:05 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Most homeless shelters require guests to depart by 7:00 AM. Libraries in walkable communities throughout the US have found themselves in the daylight homeless shelter business, especially during winter.

Then there are the older adults who park themselves for the day to socialize.

Locals oftentimes resent their libraries being monopolized by homeless and/ or ethnic elderly and the increasingly common need for security. A percentage of the homeless and elderly demonstrate dementia/ mental illness.

Others view the situation as a demonstrated need for places designated for daylight sheltering, socialization and hot meals.
Some of the old folks might pick McDonalds over the library re not being able to bring a beverage into the library.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:10 AM

3,337 posts, read 2,141,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A business is a business, not a social club. Once your business is conducted, leave and let other customers take your place.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:24 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Thanks for the update. Here’s a link:

https://www.qchron.com/editions/nort...9ae5be108.html

According to it, commercial space in that gentrifying area was leasing for rates higher than midtown Manhattan. That requires high volume / turnover in a fast food operation to turn a profit.

25% of elderly Asians live in poverty in NYC. Many are here as the result of chain migration. They have little to no Social Security income. Many live in subsidized housing and depend on SNAP benefits for food.

I am an on again/ off again Meals on Wheels home delivery volunteer. More than half of my deliveries are to Korean seniors. While some rent closet sized rooms in private residences, most live in a subsidized
senior complex.

Due to their limited English proficiency I don’t know much of their backstories beyond occasional boasting they have adult children who own small businesses and big homes in the suburbs. I suspect many worked in the background of a family business and their meager wages were not declared.

Not clear to me if they choose to not burden their families or the families prefer not to have aging relatives live with them when there are eligible low income senior welfare benefits.
How does that work? I was under the impression that when someone "sponsored" an individual for chain migration that they were required to provide for that person, should they not be able to do so themselves. Is that not the case? If their sponsors don't want the burden-why in the F should the US taxpayers assume it?

Old 07-15-2019, 09:28 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Geezers are a pox on a business.

Starbucks is an exception.

Part of their story is being “The Third Place”, and they reiterated that commitment after the incident in Philadelphia last year:

https://stories.starbucks.com/storie...thethirdplace/

Old 07-15-2019, 09:39 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Some of the old folks might pick McDonalds over the library re not being able to bring a beverage into the library.
My local public library has vending machines, and a coffee machine where you can by sodas, snacks, juice, water, coffee, etc and sit there all day.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:43 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Our local libraries are free after school care for all the low income areas. They weren't designed to be that but it's what they've become. Kids watching youtube videos is all you'll see.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:45 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is a library just blocks from there where they could probably get free Wi-Fi.
The libraries in Flushing, Queens are packed with people (generally old people) from open till close. They just sit there. They kick people out of the kids area who don't have kids. It's a mad house all day.

So I get why they sit in McDonalds, but I feel like a) give up your seat if there are people waiting for tables, and b) buy something every so often.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
How does that work? I was under the impression that when someone "sponsored" an individual for chain migration that they were required to provide for that person, should they not be able to do so themselves. Is that not the case? If their sponsors don't want the burden-why in the F should the US taxpayers assume it?
As I understand it the obligation to financially support a family member who is benefitting from chain migration ends when the sponsored party :

Becomes a citizen, which may occur after 5 years of residence, or

Earns 40 quarters ( 10 years) of Social Security Credit , or

When the sponsors income falls below 125% of the FPL.

Late arriving immigrants have a higher incidence of living out their remaining years in poverty than younger immigrants.

Furthermore, there are accommodations for older immigrants that allow them to test for citizenship in their native language based on a combo of age and number of years of residency.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:05 AM

23,991 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
As a former restaurant owner, I can sympathize with McDonald's. It's not like the typical McDonald's has 230 seats -- I would imagine that the seating capacity in NYC is probably not much higher than 40, if that.

McDonald's could take the tough approach and get tresspass warnings on all of the FOPs, but that's asking for some seriously bad publicity.

What baffles me is the fact that these people have nothing better to do than hang out at a MCDONALD'S for over 12 hours. Those restaurants aren't that nice.
The heat and air quality in my town compels this old woman and DH to mall walk.

There is a food court in the mall. A group of seniors, I suspect from a church group, meanders every morning for about a mile, then sits in the food court nursing a cup of coffee for 2 hours. Same people in the same seats every day for months. About 30 of them. IDK what they have to talk to each other about after all this time.

And, they bring their own baked goods. Too bad for Cinnabon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies