Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 09:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

The irony is that it's actually another man's last name these women are clinging onto -- their father's last name.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:56 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,539 times
I love my last name so I'm keeping it. Unless the man's last name is so beautiful and unique (as in ''wow, it's way better than mine'') then I'll take his. If his last name is just regular or ugly like Roach, no thanks.

It has nothing to do with being a feminist. It's just the way I feel.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:57 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't remember doing any paperwork. But who knows, it was a long time ago!
It's a big hassle. You start with getting a new social security card - then you have to get a new driver's license. You have to go to the DMV because you also need to get a new picture. Then you have to change your name on your passport, credit cards, bills, cell phone, insurance, etc. - and most of the time you have to provide them with a copy of your marriage certificate, social security card or driver's license, and you have to fill out some forms. And years later, I still find things that I didn't change over.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:58 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I am traditional, and I do not like anti-tradition or types of feminism.

It is not anti-tradition or feminism, there are valid reasons and many of those reasons stated here why some women do not change their last names when they get married.

If it doesn't work for you then so be it but you should not be labeling someone else "anti traiditon or a feminist" just because they don't change their last name.
That is about the most judgemental thing on the planet,
quite trivial and something that is really none of your business when it pertains to others.

I know who I am married to and I know why I married him and it has nothing to do
with his money of which he had none,
his status of which he is just a regular guy or
his power of which he only has power over his own life and sometimes the dog.
Also he does not care one way or the other because he knows I am not ashamed of his last name.
For us it was better for me to legally keep the last name i had before we got married.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It's a big hassle. You start with getting a new social security card - then you have to get a new driver's license. You have to go to the DMV because you also need to get a new picture. Then you have to change your name on your passport, credit cards, bills, cell phone, insurance, etc. - and most of the time you have to provide them with a copy of your marriage certificate, social security card or driver's license, and you have to fill out some forms. And years later, I still find things that I didn't change over.
I wonder if it differs by state? I don't remember getting a new social security card or driver's license. For all the rest of it, I guess it was coincidence of our situation. I had no credit cards or passport or cell phones for that matter. We moved in to a new place afterward.

I learned something new today!

Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The irony is that it's actually another man's last name these women are clinging onto -- their father's last name.
I don't think that women who keep their last names have anything against men. If they did - they wouldn't be getting married in the first place. As a person, your name is part of your identity. Most people don't get married until their 20's or 30's at the earliest. That means that for the majority of their life - they have had a certain identity. The older you are and the more established you are, the harder it might be to change your name - especially if you are known professionally by your maiden name. I also have some friends that married someone of a different ethnicity - and they wanted to keep their maiden name because it was a part of their own ethnic identity.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I wonder if it differs by state? I don't remember getting a new social security card or driver's license. For all the rest of it, I guess it was coincidence of our situation. I had no credit cards or passport or cell phones for that matter. We moved in to a new place afterward.

I learned something new today!
I'm pretty sure that if you want to legally change your name - you have to get a new social security card and driver's license - no matter what state you live in. If you don't change it on your social security card - then you haven't legally changed your name.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:02 AM

434 posts, read 685,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Anybody else still strongly believe in tradition like me and keep the man's family name in marriage. I am a man and my wife took my last name. No hyphen with her last name and mine, just my last name. And, did not keep her last name when we married like some women do!!
I really appreciate women that take the last name of the man, and keep the tradition.
Why is it important to you that a woman take her husband's name? Would it be okay if you had taken your wife's name? If not, why not? I am curious about your answer.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,539 times
Coastalbum so if I truly dislike the man's last name, I'm forced to take it either way? What if his last name is Roach and I really hate it???

Old 02-15-2014, 10:10 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you want to legally change your name - you have to get a new social security card and driver's license - no matter what state you live in. If you don't change it on your social security card - then you haven't legally changed your name.
My recollection, though likely faulty, was that it was automagical when I signed the marriage certificate. But as I say, it was 20 years ago. So I am likely full of poo. But I vaguely remember thinking well gee wasn't that easy! I don't think I will get married again just to test that theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies