Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 06:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,170,918 times

Advertisements

You are not operating under "freedom" alone. The courts (interpreters of your freedoms) have said you must also operate under license. Under the terms of most licensing bodies, you must serve who they say you must serve under the conditions they set.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
What that essentially leave us with is a society where certain people wouldn't have access to the things they need because some stores don't serve certain classes of customers, races of customers, people of certain faiths, etc., etc. It doesn't sound like very sound policy to encourage this. This is why we decided as a society that we would have anti-descrimination laws.

Also, most EMPLOYERS don't want these types of laws. There is a reason corporations like Apple, who is poised to make considerable investment in the State of Arizona, is against like laws like this. It's bad for business.
What do you mean don't have the access? Access to what? A business wants to make money. You folks are insane.........I mean I'm sorry but you take it to the highest level. Go get a friggen cake at Fareway instead of Hy Vee. Oh no the world is ending.

Your hero Apple has slave labor. You appear to approve with that. Why?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:46 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,752,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Freedom of religion means you may practice any religion you'd like as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others. Using religion as a justification to infringe on the rights of gays is not what is included in the First Amendment, nor is the First Amendment applicable in that defense.
I find it strange how so many of the ever growing ranks of Latino Catholics are ardently anti-gay, anti-abortion, as are the ever growing ranks of Muslims (In my city they spearheaded the fight against gay marriage) in our country and yet the Progressives never seem to have any issue with them, just white Christians.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You folks are insane. If you deny folks you won't make money...........which is what a business is for. But if I see a bunch of harley guys coming in killing my business I have a right to tell them to get out..........right? Or do THEY have the right to just come in and fight and destroy my business. You tell me.
Most places have laws for unruly people.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Just curious. As an avowed atheist, this to me is still one of the fundamental freedoms. Congressional candidate Erika Harold speaks powerfully about this freedom
here.

Is this now obsolete? We see now religious organizations compelled to comply with the tenor of the times. Don't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding--you're sued. Don't want to supply birth control to your students--you're sued again--and get a dressing-down from the POTUS.

Do libs support or reject the free exercise of religion?
Since when is a bakery a "religious institution?" Churches, synagogues, etc, are still protected from doing anything they consider against their beliefs - for example, you cannot force a priest to perform a gay wedding ceremony, or a rabbi to perform an interfaith ceremony. I know this for a fact, since my sister (just 9 years ago) had to hire an outside rabbi for her wedding, as her husband is not Jewish, and our childhood rabbi wouldn't do interfaith ceremonies.

A bakery, on the other hand, is considered a public-serving business. Such businesses are NOT free to discriminate, and have no protection under religious freedoms (in terms of who they serve). So these are two completely different issues, which you are confusing in this post. Do I believe in religious freedom? Of course, especially considering I am a practicing Reform Jew. But do I feel my religion should allow me the freedom to discriminate in a business/professional setting? Nope. I am still free to PRACTICE my religion, but again, that does not apply to serving the public.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
I value religious freedom for ALL RELIGIONS, not just Christians.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You said Apple was my hero, not me. You assume I worship Apple. This is incorrect. I simply stated the fact that many employers are against these types of law. I merely listed Apple as an example. You are the one making value judgments about Apple, not me.
You brought it up hero not me. Most employers have no problems with serving anybody and everybody. You liberals pick out on instance and turn it into a national issue is MY problem. But he the elections are coming up............so who knows what you will flock to next.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Every business has a right to deny service to who they don't want in their business. You don't like it then go next door and eat a cake. Why is this so hard for liberals to understand. Go into a restruant and see a sign that says we have the right to deny service bla bla bla. Are you folks so far gone you think you can make everybody do anything you want? It appears so.
Actually, no. There are very clear laws on discrimination in public-serving businesses, so a business owner does NOT have the right to choose who to serve. The only rules you can set are in relation to behavior, attire, safety, etc... but all rules must be applied equally, regardless of the person's demographic. These laws differ slightly from state to state, but I don't think we've been allowed to say "No blacks/women/disabled/whatever" since like 1950-something. Why do we have to keep explaining this concept? Talk about beating a dead horse!!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
You assume most people live in cities like KC, where you have options. Some people live in small towns where there might only be one option for their wedding...

I don't like in "KC" I live in a small town............if your getting married then go buy a fuggin cake or make one yourself. How hard is this to figure out? I don't get you folks. There are no bakeries in my town. Now what? Sue the town for having no bakeries?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Most places have laws for unruly people.
Most places used to have laws to put lunatics away too. Now they can vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies