Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Oh, and those "we have the right to refuse service" signs have unwritten disclaimers - being that they can only refuse service within the confines of local law. I can refuse service to a drunk and disorderly customer, or one who isn't wearing shoes, but cannot simply refuse because someone is *insert demographic*. Read the laws, please.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier has done that multiple times in this thread - he has cited the First Amendment - and you have ignored that and claim that Harrier has not - which makes you a liar.

Harrier has answered your question - and you have not even made an attempt to answer his.

What part of the constitution requires a person to serve another person against their conscience?

Quit dodging and start answering.

Thank you.
Harrier is arguing that the First Amendment allows for Freedom of Religion, however that in no way answers my question because I asked you where in the bible does it say you cant serve gay people.

But you will never answer that. You will just claim you did

Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM

392 posts, read 352,426 times
Religion is private....sexuality should also be private. You can think and believe what you want in a liberal democracy...just keep it to yourself...What is so difficult about that?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I don't know who "something" is but no I just wouldn't go to their store. See how easy that is?
Thank goodness most people aren't that easily pushed around, or we'd still be under Jim Crow laws! Imagine if every black person back then had just rolled over, and said "oh well, guess I'll just go somewhere they want me." I'm glad they didn't do that, and had the cajones to fight for what is right & just. So no, it's not that easy - unless you're the type who turns a blind eye to injustices, simply because it's easier to go somewhere else.

And yes, they COULD go to another bakery/shop. But even if they did, I'd still hope they would blow the whistle on any businesses violating their rights. If someone was refusing to serve Jewish customers, I would absolutely take my business elsewhere... right after I called city officials to report them for breaking the law.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
Religion is private....sexuality should also be private. You can think and believe what you want in a liberal democracy...just keep it to yourself...What is so difficult about that?
Here's a question: How can one keep such a thing "private," if they are ordering items for a same-sex wedding? Should they lie and put fake (opposite-gender) names on the forms, not visit these businesses together at any time during the planning, etc? Think of the process a straight couple goes through in planning a wedding, and count how many times they make their sexuality "public knowledge." Probably hundreds of times in those months/years, but I'm guessing you wouldn't bat an eyelash at that. So if a man & woman can prance around town flaunting their heterosexuality, why can't gay couples be afforded that same freedom? It's not like these couples are having sex in the stores, for goodness sakes. At least I hope not, lol.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
You made the reference to Fairway initially. But not everyone lives in the KC area (where Fairway is) where they have multiple options. Some people only have one option. How would you like it if you lived in a town with photographer, and you needed wedding pictures, and this kind of stuff prevented it?
Wedding is a once in a lifetime thing. You go find a photog......why is this so hard?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thank goodness most people aren't that easily pushed around, or we'd still be under Jim Crow laws! Imagine if every black person back then had just rolled over, and said "oh well, guess I'll just go somewhere they want me." I'm glad they didn't do that, and had the cajones to fight for what is right & just. So no, it's not that easy - unless you're the type who turns a blind eye to injustices, simply because it's easier to go somewhere else.

And yes, they COULD go to another bakery/shop. But even if they did, I'd still hope they would blow the whistle on any businesses violating their rights. If someone was refusing to serve Jewish customers, I would absolutely take my business elsewhere... right after I called city officials to report them for breaking the law.
Why do you libs keep going back to the slave days? Is it that much in your head. My argument has nothing to do with slavery. This is 2014. That is what YOU folks keep telling me anyway. Times have changed on and on and when you see an argument you can't address you scream "Jim Crow". Cmon folks. You have to do better.

What rights are being violated again? What right do YOU have to have a cake made for you? Do you folks even realize how crazy you sound? It appears not.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times
As long as Progressive can stay consistent I can accept their views, it's the constant hypocrisy and case by case approach that irks me.

Would Progressives defend a Neo-Nazi couple who insist a Jewish bakery make them a cake to commemorate Hitler's birthday?

When Muslims reject gays in their place of worship will Progressives argue that Mosques should have their tax exempt status revoked?

When Latinos vote against abortion will they take to the internet to call them names & belittle their religious beliefs?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Why do you libs keep going back to the slave days? Is it that much in your head. My argument has nothing to do with slavery. This is 2014. That is what YOU folks keep telling me anyway. Times have changed on and on and when you see an argument you can't address you scream "Jim Crow". Cmon folks. You have to do better.

What rights are being violated again? What right do YOU have to have a cake made for you? Do you folks even realize how crazy you sound? It appears not.
"You folks" "You libs" - c'mon, you can do better than that. And do you realize how crazy YOU sound, when you can't even respond to a single post without this nonsense? Try addressing us PERSONALLY for once, instead of falling back on your usual liberal-bashing... especially since you know I'm a political independent who practices religion!

And the analogy to Jim Crow laws literally couldn't be any more relevant, since you said exactly what anti-integration folks said back then. "Why can't they just go where they're wanted? Why should I, as a business owner, be forced to serve people I don't like?" etc etc. How you can't see these connections is mind-boggling, so I have to assume you are being intentionally blind here. Oh yeah, and I wasn't talking about "slave days" - I was talking about when Jim Crow laws were overturned, about 100 years after slavery ended. LOL

I repeat: We have laws in this country, mostly stemming from the days of racial segregation, which bar a public-serving business or institution from discrimination based on demographics (specifics may differ from state to state). If you don't like the laws, write the government entities to voice your concerns. But in the meantime, you really shouldn't be whining about these laws being enforced. What if I decided to drive 100mph on the freeway, then whined when I got a ticket because "these laws are lame?" I bet you'd tell me to take some personal responsibility, and follow the laws if I don't want a ticket (even if you agreed the laws were lame). Right?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Quote:
Most places used to have laws to put lunatics away too. Now they can vote.
ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.