Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 11:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That seems like more adequate justice than what he received through the legal system.
It would have been more impressive if he had been a current member of USA Swimming, but his membership expired in 2014.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-10-2016 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 11:24 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The most enthusiastic consent ends when someone is unconscious.

Being as unconscious as she was, she could have been in medical danger from alcohol poisoning or aspirated and drowned. Particularly the physical stress of the assault on her body could have triggered aspiration. The men on the bikes said they had to check if she was even breathing. Turner was messing with a woman THAT out of it.

He was sober enough to be able to run, so there was no comparison in their level of intoxication. Very drunk people cannot run. If the unconsciousness occurred after they had started messing around, certainly a normal person would stop, would want to stop. And get the girl some help. Wonder what would have happened if the bike guys had not come along. What would the raper have done after the assault, just left her there next to the dumpster?

Old 06-10-2016, 11:36 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
What so many parents don't want to see is that their kid never was going to be that person he dreamed about. It was all a parents dream. A vision of what could have been had his child not been born or raised to be a weirdo. The father needs to self assess and see whether it was their own genetics or his and his wife's child rearing that got his son into this lousy place. Quit acting like the son is a victim in the rape, he is not, he is a disgusting outcome of a flawed conception and raising.

Your son never had a chance-you should have seen that and taken necessary steps. Any time one of these losers ends up with a light sentence they are not off the hook because life and the bad habits they carry with them everywhere will get them in the end.
Very good points. It would have taken insight and self-reflection, both apparently missing in Daddio. After everything the father still thinks the trial and sentence is the worst thing his son has experienced, and not the fact that he so easily chose to rape someone.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Some good is coming from all this:

Group steps up effort to remove judge in Stanford rape case

Jurors Are Refusing to Serve the Judge Who Sentenced Brock Turner

One by one, Stanford rapist's supporters begin to desert him.

So if his family is supposedly rich and living the good life howcum daddy doesn't delve into his own pocket or is this just another case of folks financing everything with credit cards and living one crisis event away from bankruptcy?

Brock Turner

Old 06-10-2016, 11:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It would have been more impressive if he had been a current member of USA Swimming, but his membership expired in 2014.
Well, they couldn't do anything about that. He can't rejoin. My interpretation is that he can't even coach for a USA Swim team.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:25 PM

There are some misconceptions about the Turner family gaining traction on the internet. One is that the family is rich. They are not. The parents do decently on the Dayton economy, but they hold middle-class professional positions. Brock did, however, grow up in a somewhat exclusive (for Dayton anyway) and merely affluent to ridiculously-wealthy suburb called Oakwood. It's a hot-house environment where the kids are pushed hard. Very hard. Brock's swimming success was in all likelihood not only a source of great pride for his parents but the community as well. None of this excuses Dan Turner's blithe dismissal of the trauma his son inflicted on the victim as "twenty minutes of action" but it goes hand in hand with the mentality I personally witnessed growing up just down road from Oakwood.

These kids are expected to do amazing things with their lives, and more than a few of them crash and burn once out from under their parents' supervision. They've grown up with an incredible amount of pressure and (sometimes) parents who cover up their teenage missteps to protect them from the consequences of their actions. While I do not know the Turners personally, the story seems awfully familiar to me. I wrote in another post about a peer who ran his brand new Porsche off the road while drunk thirty years ago in that same town. Daddy called the attorney, wrote a check to the homeowner whose yard was destroyed, and took the kid home to sleep it off. The goal was to make the problem disappear, because he was headed for an Ivy. Was that what happened with Brock? I have no clue. I just know that I saw a lot of my peers drink themselves silly in high school to escape from their fears that they wouldn't live up to their parents' expectations. I also saw them do some incredibly stupid things that their parents covered up ostensibly to protect them. Most of them, thankfully, eventually got their acts together.

In the end, I feel not only for the victim in this case but also for the perpetrator's siblings, who I'm sure are reeling from Brock's crime. I wonder how they must feel seeing their brother's arrest photo splashed all over the media and their father maligned by the press and social media. I wonder how Brock's mother, a pediatric nurse, is coping. I wonder how the priest (the family is Catholic) of their church reacted. Brock's high school guidance counselor is now under fire for supporting the family early on before the case exploded. His friends, who remember him fondly, are suffering consequences for their initial disbelief that Brock could do something so heinous. Such a crime and the ensuing media coverage ripples throughout a community. The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up, Zimbo. Pronoun issue could certainly have led to misconceptions about what I intended to say.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-10-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well, they couldn't do anything about that. He can't rejoin. My interpretation is that he can't even coach for a USA Swim team.
The most significant part of it is that his Olympic aspirations are officially over and done.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The most significant part of it is that his Olympic aspirations are officially over and done.
That too. Here is some information on the family. Dan & Carleen Turner, Brock’s Parents: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com

Since I have some knowledge about the professions of the parents, I would say if both work full time, they're probably pulling down ~ $200K/yr. Very upper middle class.

As you can see, Brock has a sister. Makes me wonder even more about that dad, that he could not even put himself in the place of the father of the victim. Anyway, here's an excert of Brock's sister's letter: Stanford rape case: What Brock Turner

Old 06-10-2016, 01:29 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Threads like this always reveal the true character and deep-seated personal issues people have.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:38 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Check out the mom's letter to the judge. She asks "Why him? Why HIM? Why? Why?" Umm, it's him because he was the one by the dumpster, not someone else on the swim team. And just as Brock no longer enjoys steak, Mom doesn't enjoy hanging happy family photos around their new home.

READ: Brock Turner’s Mother Carleen’s Letter to the Judge | Heavy.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies