Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 06:01 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
First I am not a bigot simply because I dont subscribe to your view of race relations. Let me ask you a question, if your unwilling to let it go then what is it you want? Revolution? Not sure what you see the end goal of all of this is. Do you want to tear this nation apart?
What the person is saying is: Every time black people present their concerns and issues, they don't want to hear from white people, the "old saying of - you guys are making trouble". when fact is, white people who claim black people are making trouble, are white people, who expect to continue to do what they have done for decades and resist change to accept people on equal merit and respect their concerns, including those that bring change to the mindset of how white look down and look with contemptuous contentions at and toward blacks.
When white people claim black people are maKing trouble and disrupting things, its only because white people want to keep it like it was as in saying " hey, black people stay in your place and status" , which is about the same as saying, "shut up and take what we give you and don't try to have what we have, or live to the standard that we do".

That's what too many whites don't make any effort to understand. and Not understanding convey's that sick and mad inference as if to say, "white people are superior" and black people don't deserve equal or equality".

Stop attacking every black leader who speaks up... realize black people no longer have to wait for white people to ration out equality, fair treatment, fair opportunity and fair dignity and equality under the law.

Time should have shown white people that black people are not waiting on white society to ration out the standard of living within social and economic equality. Either we all get and have it or no one gets and have it. Peace in found in Unity!!!!!!
If anything the good white people who respect everyone, may well need to stand up and stand against the racist whites and bigots and make them know, you as white people will not tolerate it, THEN one will see how the SOCIAL divisiveness fades away.

People in Charleston showed what unity can do, when people came together after the Church shooting by the white male, that should demonstrate AGAIN, as has been demonstrated over and over that black people have always come a great distance to meet white people for the sake of unity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 06:45 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
I'm starting to believe that whites telling Black people to "get over it"--the atrocities of slavery, Black Codes, and Jim Crow--is their way of saying, "We want you [N-words] to continue being servile and subservient to us pure white Christian folks." As I've told another user like I'm about to tell you, the only way Black people will get their house in order is if folks like you get out of that house. For as long as folks like you keep covertly inserting yourselves into Black people's affairs and interfering with our progress, there will always be disarray.

You bigots on this thread have been taking the heat off your butts for too long. It ends here and now.

Exactly.

But folks like you have a hand in said divisive garbage.

I guess I'm reading a different thread than you are. I don't want anyone to be servile and subservient to me. No one owes me anything. We are all free people, and I hope that it continues to be that way.

The point many are trying to make is that it appears that some blacks use slavery as a crutch and a weapon to throw in white peoples faces. A white person can't say anything without being told we are racist or bigots regardless of our intention to try and help some black people see that it is no longer holding you back unless you choose to let it.

I personally don't want to interfere with anyone's progress, but to continuously bring it up and throw it in our faces is actually inserting us into the affairs you claim you do not want us to be a part of. Are we just supposed to sit back and be quiet while constantly having it thrown in our faces? One can only take so much and what you are beginning to see are people growing tired of it. I would love to just co-exist with everyone and not have race ever be brought up again. It shouldn't be that important. But as long as anyone makes an effort to keep it in the spotlight, progress will not be made.

You call us bigots for what? Stating an opinion and making an observation as to what we think will help resolve the issue at hand? No one has said that you should go back to slavery. As a matter of fact most of us have said we never want to see it again. There are some blacks that use the history of slavery as justification for saying or doing whatever they want thinking that there should be no repercussions. It just doesn't work that way. Both parties need to work towards a mutual understanding of each other and not constantly cherry picking information to meet an agenda.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Demagoguery disguised as a post on a forum is not the suitable thing to do.
I'd expect no less, based on your previous comment. It's highly likely you understood nothing, as you read words, not understanding their content and connections, and when you see the word "white people", its quite likely you have convolutions of some sort in the mind which prevent further comprehension.
Actually, that is exactly how Jim Crow Ideology taught so many white people to think.

Maybe you can learn about yourself and culture you sprang from actually by knowing what was within Jim Crow grooming programming of white society.
It's better the content I post be utilized by those who seek to make better this society through awareness, knowledge and understanding. It was understood as it was being written that it would encounter those who seek to slap a label as an aim to deny, deflect and avert indulging to learn and understand.

Wishing you the best in your reading aims.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I guess I'm reading a different thread than you are. I don't want anyone to be servile and subservient to me. No one owes me anything. We are all free people, and I hope that it continues to be that way.

The point many are trying to make is that it appears that some blacks use slavery as a crutch and a weapon to throw in white peoples faces. A white person can't say anything without being told we are racist or bigots regardless of our intention to try and help some black people see that it is no longer holding you back unless you choose to let it.

I personally don't want to interfere with anyone's progress, but to continuously bring it up and throw it in our faces is actually inserting us into the affairs you claim you do not want us to be a part of. Are we just supposed to sit back and be quiet while constantly having it thrown in our faces? One can only take so much and what you are beginning to see are people growing tired of it. I would love to just co-exist with everyone and not have race ever be brought up again. It shouldn't be that important. But as long as anyone makes an effort to keep it in the spotlight, progress will not be made.

You call us bigots for what? Stating an opinion and making an observation as to what we think will help resolve the issue at hand? No one has said that you should go back to slavery. As a matter of fact most of us have said we never want to see it again. There are some blacks that use the history of slavery as justification for saying or doing whatever they want thinking that there should be no repercussions. It just doesn't work that way. Both parties need to work towards a mutual understanding of each other and not constantly cherry picking information to meet an agenda.
There is, by act and fact 300+ yrs of solid information, one need not just cherry pick, but also one need not "cherry deny" what is within the expanse of such long history. Learn, Grow and be willing to expand the mind that one can grow is as much important and certainly more important than trying to gridlock things because it goes into areas of conscience discomfort.
One can't likely understand the ramification if they have been the party carrying forth the tow line of chains of the past. Think, before posting works to promote what understanding can yield.

Read my previous post - I discuss struggles of minorities, poor whites, working poor whites, and I discuss the system ran by the wealth whites who not only indentured the poor whites, but held the minorities in bondage.

Until we can explore the whole of these things and digest the good, bad and indifferent, without trying to deflect and deny, then we only spin in a madness that feeds upon its own ignorance of spinning.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 08-08-2016 at 08:20 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 08:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:

Just wanted to note on the bold that those white people who do not want to even discuss slavery, Jim Crow, or systematic racism will never have a mutual understanding of black people in America.

IMO it seems that many people who say the bold, yet continually claim that black people speaking of American history are "whining" or "throwing" things in "white people's faces" are the ones who are unwilling to listen to how the past of our country has a hand in the present and the future of our nation.

I have stated, I'm sure in this thread that I never thing of slavery outside of an historical context or when I am researching enslaved ancestors of myself or people I do family trees for; however, I do think about systematic racism and the effect it had on my grandfather, who is in his 80s and is still alive. I know that it had an effect on him and his opportunities in life and the legacy that he could potentially leave to my parents and myself - his grandchildren.

I think of the same things in regards to my grandmothers, all of whom have passed away, how they suffered due to systematic racism in their lives and my great grandparents in particular were stifled by a "tradition" of racist institutions that had to be constantly talked about and thrown up into white people's faces in order to get real change to occur.

Again, I feel many whites have some sort of defensiveness over slavery and racism and due to that they don't want black people to talk about it and they want to ignore that racism still exists today. There is no reason to think that speaking about the true nature of slavery is something being done specifically to make you feel bad to be a white person in America. On the contrary, you should feel glad that that sort of thing has diminished in our society and should welcome further progress on these issues. You will not be able to have a mutual understanding if you don't "get" that institutional racism is a legacy of US chattel slavery.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:01 AM

Thumbs up This post is for "thinking people" who want to make things better for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to note on the bold that those white people who do not want to even discuss slavery, Jim Crow, or systematic racism will never have a mutual understanding of black people in America.

IMO it seems that many people who say the bold, yet continually claim that black people speaking of American history are "whining" or "throwing" things in "white people's faces" are the ones who are unwilling to listen to how the past of our country has a hand in the present and the future of our nation.

I have stated, I'm sure in this thread that I never thing of slavery outside of an historical context or when I am researching enslaved ancestors of myself or people I do family trees for; however, I do think about systematic racism and the effect it had on my grandfather, who is in his 80s and is still alive. I know that it had an effect on him and his opportunities in life and the legacy that he could potentially leave to my parents and myself - his grandchildren.

I think of the same things in regards to my grandmothers, all of whom have passed away, how they suffered due to systematic racism in their lives and my great grandparents in particular were stifled by a "tradition" of racist institutions that had to be constantly talked about and thrown up into white people's faces in order to get real change to occur.

Again, I feel many whites have some sort of defensiveness over slavery and racism and due to that they don't want black people to talk about it and they want to ignore that racism still exists today. There is no reason to think that speaking about the true nature of slavery is something being done specifically to make you feel bad to be a white person in America. On the contrary, you should feel glad that that sort of thing has diminished in our society and should welcome further progress on these issues. You will not be able to have a mutual understanding if you don't "get" that institutional racism is a legacy of US chattel slavery.
Very intelligently expressed: White people must understand, we know that slavery is over, but we know that the ramification of the systemic ideology that was a part of what supported slavery has not been vanquished from our society.

As I posted earlier, it's only been (52 Years - Since Civil Rights Bill Passed), its has only been (62 Years since Brown vs Board of Education) and it has only been (45 Years since School Integration reached all 50 States). It took acts of Congress to get a white society to stop fighting in the streets against the simplicity of Civil Equality, during that it too the President Johnson mandate for change, and televised images of white brutality for white people to see a reflection of their violence against black people). If anything, the current day white people may well ask themselves, "why did it take their elders so long to become civil with respect to Black Americans?) You need not go into the depression of guilt, but push into the exploration of understanding and change the logic that you and all may share in a brighter future.

Learning from the wrongs is a positive thing, not something to fear. No one is asking anyone to run around apologizing to every black person walking, we are discussing the simplicity of communicating, sharing, interchanging information, building ideas and helping each other learn that we may all grow forward together.

It is a given fact that white people have experience and knowledge that is and can be beneficial to many blacks, and blacks have to be willing to seek that information and knowledge, and white have to be willing to share and give forth that information and knowledge, "each doing so willingly and with a spirit of unity".
White need not try and make blacks feel bad about what they don't know, nor does blacks need to try and make whites feel bad about what they do know.
Whites need not grandstand about what they know, nor should blacks feel less than a person about what they don't know, but both have the will and drive to SHARE TOGETHER that they both may grow more.

Look at your "television", commercial advertisements incorporate a great expanse of black cultural things in the ads of today, it is a whole different rhythm in the commercials, blending hip hop in every day business and social setting, and it works for the whole of society.

In the tech sector, don't close out black people, there are many young blacks who are and can be very skilled and gifted in these areas.
Some in truth, simply don't know how to connect their desires with opportunity, some don't know how to merge what their dreams are with the pathways to making them happen. In many poor inner cities, its an atrocity, because people simply can't see a way out, they get caught in the loop of the hood cycle, do they want better, Yes, many do, but they feel often times that walls keep them from moving ahead, that wall, is sometimes "perception", "encountered attitudes", and some is of fears of the unknown, as well as simply the despair of survival blinding them from the comfort to thing forward to progressing beyond their condition. These are truth factors. These same truth factors are as relevant to black in dire poor conditions as it is for white people, in dire poor conditions. They are both "fearful to trust the unknown", but once that trust is built, they are honoring and beholding unto that trust and they work hard not to breaks the bonds that trust has forged.

We can learn much by living and paying attention, Society today, understanding "Bullying", now society understand all the "different" forms of bulling. Once it did not understand, nor did it even see the talk, treatment of blacks as bullying, they just say it as their right, and the ways of life. NOW, that people know and understand, then "knowing should promote change within ones self" to rethink what they say, how they act, and be of awareness that what use to be ok to do, is not ok because one would not want it done to them. Not Overtly and Not Covertly.

We have many interacial people, and fact is, there has been "interracial people for 100's of years" in American, we need not ostracize them from any segment, not from black society and not from white society, and we should not force nor try and push them to 'choose" sides as if its some type of competition or challenge. They have both parents who made the, and both legacy of each parent is as important to them, as is the legacy of single ethnic parents is to a offspring.

Quote:
For Black People, "LET GO AND BANISH FROM YOUR MIND" the phrase "Acting White", it is about Acting as an individual, who utilize the English langues as best they can, and push to elevate their standards to improve their condition that they may care for and about what is within their sphere of life.
Speaking the language without slang is not anti American, it is as American as speaking the American language with a mixture of many forms of slang. But, know this: "
When it comes to business, "there is no place for slang, business function on a basic foundation of the English language, because business is conducted with people from many cultures from around the world, and you personal slang, may be an offense to people from another culture or another land, but you use of English is not an offense, but a interactive exchanges of communication, both can understanding by the premise of the English Language.
Once you know people on a "inter-personal level", you may be able to intermingle slang into your exchanges", but that is when and how you come to know people on a more personal interactive level, then the two can understand where the other is coming from in their meanings".

Young people truly must understand this. Because today's youth, often have trouble with adults because they use slang when they should make effort to use 'generic understanding English to convey their expressions" )
We have much work to do, and there is nothing better for all of us, than embracing the simplicity of doing the work we must do. Freedom is first and foremost a responsibility, if we all want freedom then we must focus to be responsible to build it, respect it, maintain it, and progress it for all.

I would urge the readers of this post to review the previous posting related to this subject listed earlier on this thread)
(1)
(2)
(3)

(one of many other post)

Last edited by Chance and Change; 08-08-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 10:20 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:

Talk to the democrats. they formed the KKK and passed the Jim Crow laws.. it was not the Republican party and they did not switch parties.. Strom Thurman was the only one who was a dixiecrat that became a Republcan.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Talk to the democrats. they formed the KKK and passed the Jim Crow laws.. it was not the Republican party and they did not switch parties.. Strom Thurman was the only one who was a dixiecrat that became a Republcan.
Again another diversion from what I stated.

I did not speak of Democrats or Republicans. White people who get defensive about the mention of slavery or who think any discussion about slavery is some sort attack against them or white society as a whole can be in any political party and I'm sure since you have been around these forums for a while that you are well aware of the evolution of the modern Democratic and Republican parties so for you to try to blame something on democrats as a diversionary tactic to what I stated is an odd thing to do.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Once again, for those who have not followed the science of political system. Geez!!! "Learn"

Is it that people just talk but don't take time to read and learn???? I don't know what drives such utterances.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:05 AM

1,544 posts, read 925,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
First I am not a bigot simply because I dont subscribe to your view of race relations. Let me ask you a question, if your unwilling to let it go then what is it you want? Revolution? Not sure what you see the end goal of all of this is. Do you want to tear this nation apart?
See quoted post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
What the person is saying is: Every time black people present their concerns and issues, they don't want to hear from white people, the "old saying of - you guys are making trouble". when fact is, white people who claim black people are making trouble, are white people, who expect to continue to do what they have done for decades and resist change to accept people on equal merit and respect their concerns, including those that bring change to the mindset of how white look down and look with contemptuous contentions at and toward blacks.
When white people claim black people are maKing trouble and disrupting things, its only because white people want to keep it like it was as in saying " hey, black people stay in your place and status" , which is about the same as saying, "shut up and take what we give you and don't try to have what we have, or live to the standard that we do".

That's what too many whites don't make any effort to understand. and Not understanding convey's that sick and mad inference as if to say, "white people are superior" and black people don't deserve equal or equality".

Stop attacking every black leader who speaks up... realize black people no longer have to wait for white people to ration out equality, fair treatment, fair opportunity and fair dignity and equality under the law.

Time should have shown white people that black people are not waiting on white society to ration out the standard of living within social and economic equality. Either we all get and have it or no one gets and have it. Peace in found in Unity!!!!!!
If anything the good white people who respect everyone, may well need to stand up and stand against the racist whites and bigots and make them know, you as white people will not tolerate it, THEN one will see how the SOCIAL divisiveness fades away.

People in Charleston showed what unity can do, when people came together after the Church shooting by the white male, that should demonstrate AGAIN, as has been demonstrated over and over that black people have always come a great distance to meet white people for the sake of unity.
Quote:

Once again, see quoted post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
There is, by act and fact 300+ yrs of solid information, one need not just cherry pick, but also one need not "cherry deny" what is within the expanse of such long history. Learn, Grow and be willing to expand the mind that one can grow is as much important and certainly more important than trying to gridlock things because it goes into areas of conscience discomfort.
One can't likely understand the ramification if they have been the party carrying forth the tow line of chains of the past. Think, before posting works to promote what understanding can yield.

Read my previous post - I discuss struggles of minorities, poor whites, working poor whites, and I discuss the system ran by the wealth whites who not only indentured the poor whites, but held the minorities in bondage.

Until we can explore the whole of these things and digest the good, bad and indifferent, without trying to deflect and deny, then we only spin in a madness that feeds upon its own ignorance of spinning.
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies