Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2016, 10:32 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sure they do. The first thing we need to do is quit shipping jobs to other countries.

LOL, you think it's bad because some people won't accept stereotypes?
No. Liberals won't accept that stereotypes are human nature.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Won't stop until the black crime rate goes down significantly. That's reality and that's why nobody has any real proposals for this problem. There is no solution to stereotypes because we are all naturally wired to have them. The same human intellectual ability to abstract which has led to great innovation also leads to stereotypes as a means of simplifying the world. Liberals just won't accept this.

Did this look like a high crime area to you? Did he look like a risk? The first cop handled it the right way in asking some questions to assess the situation and based on his response, walked away feeling he was being truthful. She even referenced priors to the male cop, but said something about them being in the past.

The second cop started out making a joke, but seemed to have an attitude following that.

Cops need to stop treating all black males as though they're criminals. The crime rate doesn't excuse that. And then people complain that blacks don't trust the police.

I agree people have stereotypes. Whether those are inate or a result of experience, can you then understand that it just might be normal for black people to have stereotypes about cops?

Old 10-01-2016, 11:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Think about how many total encounters there are, on a typical day in America, between police officers doing their jobs and black people who are violent, menacing, agitated or otherwise behaving in a way that could be seen as threatening. Do we really need theories about secret agendas or systematic racism to explain the fact that some of these incidents go very badly?

Not with this frequency. Just here in CA there have been 3 in the last couple of days, add in all the others across the country.

Something is going on.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:36 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Absolutely astounding that RWNJs are still defending the cop in this case. The same types defending the cops here are the same types screaming 20 years ago that the government was wrong for intruding on Waco or screaming support for the rancher who was anti government and fed his cattle on government property a little while back. Now in this case we have government intrusion in the form of a cop on someones private property harassing a perfectly good law abiding citizen, yet now all of the sudden the Waco whackos are all shut up and agree with the government because in this case, the private citizen happens to have a little bit of extra melotonin. Hypocrites. Wonder when CD will finally cull the population of storm front reps on these boards that we alllllllllll know are active.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:19 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You know what? Give me a break. You know darn well that the guy didn't deserve what happened to him AT ALL. Not at all. He was totally pleasant with the cops until they just would not back down. So the guy called his friend? Big deal. I too would've done the same thing if I had cooperated the whole time & was STILL being questioned. That cop was at fault, plain & simple. Starting with continuing to badger him, even when the guy said the cops should go & talk to his mom's neighbors, to the cop trying to grab his phone because, GASP, the guy called a friend to tell him to come over. This whole thing stinks & you know it does. I'm sick to death of people like you constantly making excuses & pointing out "but but but, he shouldn't have done this or that". It's bull & you know it. And you can save the whole "you're just a cop hater", because I know it's coming. I have the utmost respect for cops. I work in the inner city & I am grateful whenever I see a cop. This one was out of line, totally. Enough.
We can have a discussion without calling each other names, hence I did not nor do I intend on calling you a cop hater.
That said, this guy was warned previously to stay put and not attempt to leave. It seemed to me they were trying to verify who he was, whether he had any business there, and if he had any outstanding warrants. Having admitted to be a former con with prison tats, I am sure that raised the suspicion level of the cops. The whole excuse for what he was prying the shovel under the garage door also sounded hinky.

But for you to say him calling his friend to tell him to come over was not provocative is a little naive. Then for you to claim you'd do the same thing seems illogical, especially since you saw the end result. I wouldn't have done that to begin with, and certainly wouldn't have after seeing the resulting situation play out.

As I stated, a different cop might have handled it differently, either worse or better. So it is not hard to see how another person in that situation could also have acted differently, with potentially different results as well. Even if you feel the cop overreacted, he did not brutalize the guy to the point of losing his career. That is why I wonder whether he had a jacket full of complaints, or he was made a sacrificial lamb to ease racial tension. Either is plausible, but I still would like to hear if anyone knows for certain.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Wow. Blaming the victim.

Prison tats? At what timestamp? I see no tattoos. You just assumed.
You must not have watched or listened to the video too closely to have missed it. In the 4:30 range you can see obvious tats on his arm, and at the 5:15 mark the cops says he has prison tats, and the guy admits to being a former con.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well, at least you admitted you didn't read anyone's posts, sparing them from having to read yours.

I'll keep it short and only address a few of the statements that I bolded above.

It's not against the law to be sitting on a porch, but since the cop made his identity an issue, the challenge became proving he was who he said he was. Actually, that should have ended after he told the cop who he was. And the cop should have left the premises after showing him his i.d.

If I'm trying to confirm who someone is, I wouldn't care who he's calling to come over and identify him. And all the cop had to do was to ask the guy to get off the phone. There's no justification for trying to take the phone away. Do you believe people have zero rights???

And "prison tats"? What are prison tats? And why would they make the cop highly suspicious of the guy?
Come on now, you think good police work is getting a call of a suspicious person potentially trying to get into a home with a shovel, and just leaving after the person in question gives him a name and says he belongs there?
Many a criminal will lie to the police. If they took the word of everyone who gave them a song & dance, few arrests would ever be made. Heck watch the show Cops to see how often people lie about who they are, what they are up to, etc., etc.

As to why prison tats would make a cop more suspicious, are you being intentionally obtuse?

Old 10-02-2016, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So you admit that given their population, there is a higher percentage of blacks this happens to.

That's the damn point.
I cannot speak for the poster you were responding to, but logically if blacks commit more crime on a per capita basis, it stands to reason they will have more of a percentage of interactions with police. Whites will have a higher number as that poster pointed out because there are a lot more white people, even though they commit less crime on a per capita basis. The stats for injury/death of blacks at the hands of police are still a very small percentage, and certainly not anywhere near the rate of black on black crime. If you don't believe it, just look it up for yourself.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

He got off easy.
Ok, if you think losing not only his job, but his career (if I correctly understand what happened to him) is getting off easy, what would you propose happen to him for this one incident?

Old 10-02-2016, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That cop was searching for someone to arrest to raise money for the state so he could keep his job.

When law enforcement has an agenda it doesn't matter.

As a side note, people need to quit showing their "papers" just because police asked. Don't answer their questions.
Wrong on both accounts.

Based on what was said in the video, these cops did not just happen to be driving by and stopped to demand the guys "papers" [I know you are referencing the Nazi's with your comment].
Instead they were called to the house based on someone in the neighborhood reporting suspicious activity.
I don't know about you, but if I witness someone in my neighbors yard trying to use a shovel to lift the closed garage door open(by the suspects own admission), I'd call the police as well. I'd assume you would want the same from your neighbors if someone were doing that to your home. Am I wrong in that assumption?

So this was not some speed trap in a small town to generate revenue, nor was this guy just walking down the street and the cops stopping him, demanding to see his papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.