Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 04:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I can't imagine what police department would want to hire someone like that ex-cop. That's simply a liability. Not to mention you just don't want a person who can't control themselves on the police force.
Cleveland hired Timothy Loehmann despite a neighboring force getting rid of him after ruling him mentally not stable enough to be an officer. They even kept him after multiple lies.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:16 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Then why isn't it hippies lives matter?
Because they stink.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Yep, this can happen to anyone. But why do some of you deny this happens more to black males than to everyone else? And sorry, but arresting someone sitting on a porch is insane. If you don't want that ever happening to you or a loved one, you have to be willing to acknowledge and at least speak up about the injustice, when it happens to others.

Some of you are more outraged by some nobody NFL player not standing during the anthem than you are about injustices you try to minimize and excuse. 'If you do what the cop tells you....' Videos have proven that's not always true.

This kind of thing is wrong, and does happen more to black males. Studies show sentencing is much harsher for black males than males in all other groups.

Telling the truth about that doesn't diminish you.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:41 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times
The problem here is the cop did not believe this guy. Cops are trained to question you like your buddy and gather info that does not add up. The name was strike one, his mentioning he was not afraid to be arrested, strike two, and the fact he was unable to really prove he belonged there. I think the cop believed it was his mothers house at one point, but that he was still trying to break in mom's house. The nature of his call, while not directly threatening, "hey man, get over here, the police are harassing me, strike four, a convicted felon, strike five. Where he went wrong was when he pushed his fingers into the guys chest. The officer had every right to be suspicious. That is what they are trained to do. But he needed to give this man the benefit of the doubt until shown other wise. The officer could not get the answers to assure he belonged there and just decided to escalate it and without question, he did that and is responsible. The first few minutes, were good police work, after that, he became a thug and lost his cool.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:53 PM

515 posts, read 624,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yep, this can happen to anyone. But why do some of you deny this happens more to black males than to everyone else? And sorry, but arresting someone sitting on a porch is insane. If you don't want that ever happening to you or a loved one, you have to be willing to acknowledge and at least speak up about the injustice, when it happens to others.

Some of you are more outraged by some nobody NFL player not standing during the anthem than you are about injustices you try to minimize and excuse. 'If you do what the cop tells you....' Videos have proven that's not always true.

This kind of thing is wrong, and does happen more to black males. Studies show sentencing is much harsher for black males than males in all other groups.

It's not about acknowledging the truth. If they are not black they don't care about this. If they are not black they think black people are getting what they deserve. If not black, they really don't want black people around anyway. Cops are only forced to do the dirty work for comfortable pay and benefits. Sometimes they snap because they don't want to be dealing with these neighborhoods or situations in the first place.

That is why there is apathy to move along any differently than the path everyone is already on. They really have other things and themselves to worry about and what happens in black neighborhoods or to black people, although sad, is really not a life altering concern to them.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:10 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
The problem here is the cop did not believe this guy. Cops are trained to question you like your buddy and gather info that does not add up. The name was strike one, his mentioning he was not afraid to be arrested, strike two, and the fact he was unable to really prove he belonged there. I think the cop believed it was his mothers house at one point, but that he was still trying to break in mom's house. The nature of his call, while not directly threatening, "hey man, get over here, the police are harassing me, strike four, a convicted felon, strike five. Where he went wrong was when he pushed his fingers into the guys chest. The officer had every right to be suspicious. That is what they are trained to do. But he needed to give this man the benefit of the doubt until shown other wise. The officer could not get the answers to assure he belonged there and just decided to escalate it and without question, he did that and is responsible. The first few minutes, were good police work, after that, he became a thug and lost his cool.
When he provided a valid ID with the matching address, they should have backed down.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:27 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes we would disagree. Is the percentage of interactions that go bad low? Yes, but anytime someone has their civil rights violated by the state it's a big problem.

I did.
I understand the reaction people have to wrong doing by police. Again, it's in your face. It's personal. It can cause bodily harm or your own demise.

But it's no different in spirit to what the State does to us daily. Robbing us blind, telling us what we can do with our bodies and what we can build on our property (which really doesn't make it ours if you think about it).

It's done with a pen in a building downtown or in D.C. so we are removed from it.

My issue isn't that these cases happen (at a low rate). It's the fact we have a large % of people who don't understand this is merely a byproduct of statism as well as the fact that these same folks label NEARLY EVERY police incident that results in injury/death as wrong doing.

Now, why is that last point so important? Because it reinforces the idea that people are easily manipulated and unable to function outside the paradigm of the state (which is my ultimate goal).

I advocate private security. Contract law and resolution councils. But it's disheartening when people can't admit that many of these cases are the fault of the citizen.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:37 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

This incident was wrong but we must be careful on why these incidents happen more to black males than other groups.

Here we had a neighbor call the cops on a black male in a wealthy neighborhood. I don't know the race of the caller or the makeup of the neighborhood but if it's wealthy generally speaking black males are less likely to live there. Nobody freak. Not "racist". A group of white kids in Gary Indiana would stick out too.

But cops interact more with black people in general (jurisdiction makeup a variable sure) so when cops go rogue like this it is more likely to happen to the race/gender they interact with the most.

I just want that fact on the table. So having said that, does racism still play a role in the higher percentage of incidents and severity as well?

Yeah, I'll buy that. How much of a role really can't be determined and it sucks either way.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I understand the reaction people have to wrong doing by police. Again, it's in your face. It's personal. It can cause bodily harm or your own demise.

But it's no different in spirit to what the State does to us daily. Robbing us blind, telling us what we can do with our bodies and what we can build on our property (which really doesn't make it ours if you think about it).

It's done with a pen in a building downtown or in D.C. so we are removed from it.

My issue isn't that these cases happen (at a low rate). It's the fact we have a large % of people who don't understand this is merely a byproduct of statism as well as the fact that these same folks label NEARLY EVERY police incident that results in injury/death as wrong doing.

Now, why is that last point so important? Because it reinforces the idea that people are easily manipulated and unable to function outside the paradigm of the state (which is my ultimate goal).

I advocate private security. Contract law and resolution councils. But it's disheartening when people can't admit that many of these cases are the fault of the citizen.
Since that is not the case here there is no reason to bring it up here. No one has ever argued that citizens are never at fault.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:55 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Race should be irrelevant but it's not. Our country was founded on racism and those ghosts still hunt us to this day. Police brutality can happen to anyone, but it mostly happens to black folks and when it does these people walk free..
It mostly happens to whites. That's another thing you have wrong in a long list of falsely playing the race card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Tell me this, if black police officers were contently harassing, violating rights and killing white men do you think we would let that stand? No!
If it were that way, you wouldn't be in on any of these threads. It's about unchecked police brutality on all people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.